The Sun Also Rises

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2008 02:57 pm
I recently read the book The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway

in that book, Hemingway uses the analogy of a bull fight to explain the conflict between the main characters.

I was wondering, what connections does Hemingway make between the characters in the novel and the peoples and animals (steers, bulls, picadors, matadors, etc.) in a bull fight. ie, what makes Brett and Pablo both matadors in the novel. And if you can, please give some quotes (including page number, or the chapter)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,309 • Replies: 5
No top replies

contrex

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2008 12:48 am
You really should do your own homework.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2008 12:57 am
Mariel Hemingway, his daughter, was named after that part of Cuba that later became a notorious prison for politicals. Did you know that? His other daughter was named after a rather nice French Burgandy.
0 Replies

mars90000000

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2008 12:51 pm
its not a homework contrex, i was reading on another website where they used this contrast and didnt explain any further, i wasnt sure about it so i thought id ask " The Experts"...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2008 07:13 pm
I read that decades ago, and not for school work. I've read literature for pleasure and not so much for analysis, only being an english major for one semester, and personally being more sound of the words driven, more effect of the words driven, than analysis driven. But I have noticed over my life, as have others, that rereads of books over the years will yield different takes from one person. I liked the book then, wonder what I'd think now.

In any case, it didn't occur to me while I was reading it that he meant the bullfight as a metaphor for the conflict of the book characters, if that is true. Or probably it did and I waved it away. I read novels to be there in them, first. Not that analyzing is a negative. I enjoy hearing about it, especially from the astute, and I'm sure it's a clarifying tool for discerning, the analytic joys being a higher level of pleasure, at least sometimes... but maybe secondary in reading pleasure.

I suppose I am talking to myself more than you, Mars.
I remember I left english as a major for this reason, that it killed my pleasure in reading. Heh, not so sure I was right, and not sure I was wrong, at least for myself.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2008 07:49 pm
It's kind of fun to read a book, and then pick up Cliff's Notes to see what you didn't realize you were reading.
0 Replies