Can I Snake proof my yard?

fishin

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2008 07:15 pm
mismi wrote:
Thanks fishin. I seriously am willing to try anything right now. Though I am not worried about the non-venomous snakes so much. Copperheads and Cottonmouths aren't on that list though...shoot.
That list includes:

- Southern Copperhead
- Eastern Cottonmouth
- Florida Cottonmouth

You gonna get picky now? Razz What kind of copperheads have you got?
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2008 07:20 pm
HA! Well..that just goes to show you how thoroughly I read that list Rolling Eyes ...Sorry...That is a happy thing...even though this is the first time I actually have proof of one in my yard - I think I would like to use some of that stuff...just in case ya' know...

thank you for pointing that out... :wink: I am in the South East - so I think that should cover both kinds...
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2008 09:59 pm
Not a serious option I guess, but one of these would be of value.

http://www.moonbird2006.com/kookaburra.jpg

We get snakes all the time I've never heard of a repellant that works.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Mon 12 May, 2008 06:42 am
We found another snake in the front yard Saturday. We are pretty sure it was just a Garter Snake. Non-venomous - but about 2 1/2 feet. ick.

We'ved cleared a lot of the brush and gotten rid of the logs. And I have taught my boys to do the snake stomp and to look carefully before picking something up in the brushy spots.

Hoping for the best...we seem to be a lot more snakey this year than usual. Gives me the willies.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 12 May, 2008 11:08 am
Mismi--

That's unbelievably large for a garter snake.

Check out:

http://www.enature.com/fieldguides/intermediate.asp?curGroupID=7

You can now limit your search to reptiles in your specific area.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Mon 12 May, 2008 11:23 am
maybe 1 and 1/2 or 2 Noddy - it was long and icky...but skinny....but I did not have a tape measure and am no good at estimating...and I have the gift of exageration.

Pretty sure it was a garter though...had the markings.

Thanks for the link though...that may prove invaluable to my peace of mind.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Tue 13 May, 2008 11:40 am
Green witch's answer is probably the most sensible. I don't think there are any plants or chemicals that work.

A low, small mesh fence would be sufficient to keep the snakes out, but it would also have to keep your dog inside. If your dog likes exploring then it could still get in trouble. The bad experience may have taught the dog to avoid snakes.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Tue 13 May, 2008 11:46 am
Noddy24 wrote:
Mismi--

That's unbelievably large for a garter snake.

Check out:

http://www.enature.com/fieldguides/intermediate.asp?curGroupID=7

You can now limit your search to reptiles in your specific area.

The length you give for the snake seems within the length of garter snakes:

"Common garter snakes grow to be 46 to 137 cm in total length. Males are generally smaller than females and have longer tails. Young common garter snakes are born at 12.5 to 23 cm long and are similar in appearance to the adults. There are many dozens of recognized regional populations of common garter snakes that have distinct color patterns. In some areas there are populations that have a high percentage of entirely black garter snakes. Common garter snakes are similar in appearance to their close relatives, ribbon snakes (Thamnophis sauritus) and Butler's garter snakes (Thamnophis butleri). (Conant and Collins, 1998; Stebbins, 1985; Wechsler, 2001)"

I don't know what part of the country you live in, so it's difficult to know what kind of snakes you have in your locality.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Tue 13 May, 2008 12:36 pm
Thanks Coluber2001 - I am in Alabama - I am a little less freaked out these days...but still snakes as fascinating as they are best seen at a distance. I feel better though..thanks for your help - hopefully Pistol has learned his lesson and will stay away from them.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/05/2024 at 07:21:08