Can I Snake proof my yard?

mismi

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2008 05:10 pm
I just got back from the vet. Pistol, my Australian Shepherd got bit by a snake today and thankfully is fine...but his whole, sweet face was so swollen his eyes were just about shut. He will be fine they think. We just have to watch him the next 48 hours.

How can I snake proof my yard? We live in a very wooded area and it would be hard to totally cut all of those down. But is there any product or any thing that works to repel snakes? We keep it cut in the areas where it is possible. But I am mostly concerned for my three boys who love to play in the backyard. As well as the 2 dogs - If anyone knows anything that will help I sure would be appreciative.

mis
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 12,021 • Replies: 28
No top replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2008 05:15 pm
Solid fencing tight to the ground or fencing with a small mesh hardware cloth along the bottom is the only sure way to keep them out. Maybe you can fence in an area for the kids and dog. Also, get to know which snakes bite, most are harmless. Teach your kids to identify the snakes in your area. Some snakes are helpful and keep rodent populations down. You are more likely to end up seeing a doctor due to a rodent related illness than a snake bite.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2008 05:17 pm
you could offer up a prayer to st. patrick
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2008 05:22 pm
Thanks Green Witch. We have lived here for 5 years and I have not seen the first snake in our yard. But now that the dog has gotten bit it does worry me. The boys know to stay away from snakes.

We live by a lake and my concern is Copperheads and Cottonmouths, which are in this area, though we have just never seen them in our yard. Cottonmouths are agressive and I guess I was hoping for something like that fencing you mentioned...it may be the next thing we do. I have never had to think about it before. I wish there was something you could just spray that would repel them...but that would be too easy.

We have not had a problem with rodents or snakes before...hopefully we won't again. I am just going to do whatever I can to make sure we don't.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2008 05:23 pm
djjd62 wrote:
you could offer up a prayer to st. patrick

already did that...thanks though Razz
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2008 05:25 pm
mongoose;
http://images.encarta.msn.com/xrefmedia/sharemed/targets/images/pho/t065/T065473A.jpg
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2008 05:26 pm
There are repellents but I have no idea if and/or how well they actually work. (I'll just say that I'm dubious. Wink )

http://www.liquidfence.com/snake-repellents.html
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2008 05:27 pm
I wonder if the local pet store carries mongooses?
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2008 05:30 pm
Thanks fishin. I seriously am willing to try anything right now. Though I am not worried about the non-venomous snakes so much. Copperheads and Cottonmouths aren't on that list though...shoot.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2008 05:43 pm
I don't know nada about this, or even if I did, listen to Green Witch.

Me, I'm counting on high walls, but I'm vulnerable on one side. So far, so good.

On one of our project sites, the foreman pryed up a rock and found a dozen or so rattlesnake babies. He killed them with his shovel.

I'm probably against that, but not the day I found out. (That was anecdotal, re past history.)
Obviously I'd like them screened out but I figure it'd be a tight wire mesh.
And yes, that was their habitat.

Mixed feelings...
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2008 05:49 pm
Hey Osso...you mean you have mixed feelings about killing them?

I don't really want to kill them...though I am pretty sure I would if confronted with one...but I would love to keep them out and repel them. After being here for 5 years and never seeing one before - my common sense is taking over and thinking that it is just one of those things that happen. It's not like we will be confronted everytime we walk out in the backyard. My Mom instinct is less in panic mode right now...but still thinking it's not a bad idea to look into that type of fencing.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2008 05:50 pm
Such a wall could do the job. Many apartment complexes lay out liberal amounts of moth balls in the belief it may keep snakes away. I don't have enough experience with it to know if it works.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2008 05:52 pm
I wonder if the dogs would eat the mothballs Edgar? Will mothballs hurt the dogs?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2008 05:58 pm
My back wall in this this lame-o property is high, and the wall on another side is slightly lower. But I've got this rickity fence between my co duplex owner and myself. And no, I can't spring for fixing that.

I'm petroglyphs adjacent. I don't know about snake prevalence right here, and probably don't want to know.

Well, hey, snakes are the least of my worries.

And they were here before me. I can say that if they're not in my back yard.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2008 05:59 pm
Most snakes avoid people. I think your dog was looking for a little action when he smelled the snake and pursued him. You can always have the kids do a "snake stomp" before going into the yard. Snakes feel even slight vibrations and will tend to leave an area if they feel there are intruders about.

Fishi' mentions Liquid Fence and they make good products. Their stinky sprays do work with deer, but I can't see spending the money on repellents if you have only encountered one snake in five years.

I love you Edgar (and your turtle rescues), but BIG NO on mothballs in the environment. Mothballs melt into the ground and the chemicals can get into water supplies.They are pure poison and can cause brain retardation in young children. I think they should be banned.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2008 06:03 pm
My back wall in this this lame-o property is high, and the wall on another side is slightly lower. But I've got this rickity fence between my co duplex owner and myself. And no, I can't spring for fixing that.

I'm petroglyphs adjacent. I don't know about snake prevalence right here, and probably don't want to know. Certainly rattlesnakes live here.

Well, hey, snakes are the least of my worries.

And they were here before me. I can say that if they're not in my back yard.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2008 06:05 pm
I've never even heard of the mothball thing.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2008 06:05 pm
Good Grief...definite no to mothballs...the snake stomp is a great idea Green Witch. I do feel better about it though. Thanks so much all of you for your wonderful advice.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2008 06:10 pm
I just took this off a site I googled

Moth balls clip this post email this post what is this?
see most clipped and recent clippings
Posted by Jenny05 zone 5 (My Page) on Mon, Sep 19, 05 at 16:28

I just placed an order for some peonies and I was curious if moth balls might be able to hurt the plant if I put them in the hole when I plant them? There are lots of gophers on our property and up til now I've only had 3 peony plants. 1 of those was eaten down to almost nothing...amazingly enough it made it through that and I believe next year will probably be large enough again to bloom. I recall reading somewhere awhile back that moth balls tend to ward off gophers so as long as it won't kill my plants I would like to try it. These are rather expensive peonies and it would really be sad if they got eaten before I even get a chance to see them bloom! Has anyone tried this before with peonies or any other plant?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Follow-Up Postings:
RE: Moth balls clip this post email this post what is this?

Posted by Blueheron z6 PA (My Page) on Mon, Sep 19, 05 at 20:01

EEEEK! Do not use mothballs in the garden! Here's what Mike McGrath, former editor of OG, says in his column to a reader who questioned if she could use them to repel neighbors' cats:
"VERY IMPORTANT: Don't ever use mothballs or flakes. Those little toxic waste pellets destroy cats' kidney function, could seriously harm people who handle them, and yes, contaminate your garden soil. Their packaging even warns against using them this way. "

The main ingredient naphthalene, is a strong chemical that stays in your soil for a long time.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted by Jenny05 zone 5 (My Page) on Tue, Sep 20, 05 at 17:40

I had an idea that it might be able to do some harm so I was a bit wary to put it in my soil without finding out for sure...I greatly appreciate the info!

Posted by smom40 5MO (My Page) on Mon, Sep 26, 05 at 11:14

Not just cats, try people too.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2008 06:11 pm
yep, that don't sound too good. :wink:
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Can I Snake proof my yard?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/05/2024 at 05:54:50