Assist, Volunteer, Donate – why do you help?

Linkat

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2008 02:24 pm
I realized the other day; I most likely help others because it makes me feel good. Even when I am down, which I have been lately, helping some one else always makes me feel better. Yesterday, I was at a red light and some one had a sign lost job, can you help. I rolled down my window and gave the poor soul a couple of dollars. I felt compelled to help this person. I was hurting, but at least had a few bucks in my pocket that he could use. Then coming home, I assisted this wheel chair bound man with holding the doors and making sure he could reach his destination. I'm not bragging about helping and I did it for a purely selfish reason - it made me feel a bit better.

Why do you help?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 930 • Replies: 18
No top replies

Eva

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2008 03:53 pm
There are a lot of things that I have to do.

Volunteering gives me a chance to do things I want to do.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2008 07:22 pm
Different reasons.

I volunteered at a nursing home for 7 years - visiting a cranky old broad who had no family here. We played cards and other games, did crafts, yakked, had meals together, etc., and I really liked her. When I started, I thought I was doing it for her, but I gradually realized I enjoyed it as much as she did, so I guess I did it for both of us.

I volunteered at a Food Bank when I was living in Mill Bay in order to get to know people, participate in the community, and just do something.

I volunteered at the local theatres where I used to live for the same reasons as the Food Bank.

I don't think I have an altruistic bone in my body.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2008 05:39 am
I've been given so much--I like restoring balance to the universe.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2008 06:21 am
I like that reason, Noddy. And all of the ones given so far actually.

What I'd add is that for me, I have brain cells that I feel like I need to use or they'll atrophy, and I don't want them to. Laughing So in my stretch of not working (in the paid, outside-the-home sense, though I was working hard as a full-time mom), I volunteered for many of the reasons above but also because I wanted to THINK. I did a lot of administrative/ organizational type stuff, committees, boards, that sort of thing.

I now have a paid job that requires thinking, which I'm happy about, but still am heavily involved in one volunteer organization which stretches me in various directions (did our website from scratch -- though "from scratch" is relatively easy with SiteKreator -- have helped the prez with various delicate situations, am getting ready to write some grants once we get 501 (c) 3 status, etc.) Also really nice for the social aspect, since my paid job is home-based.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2008 07:57 am
Because we're all in this together and as a society we don't take care of ourselves very well.

Among the 30 top industrialized nations in the world only Mexico has a larger percentage of children living in poverty than the US. source

We spend billions on wars while our children starve. Humanitarianism falls to the individual when the system has it's eyes looking to control the world without looking at what's going on around them.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2008 08:00 am
I think there are so many varied and valid reasons for volunteering. Some because I just simply know how it feels to be in a certain situation without help and want to be able to make it easier for others...some out of duty.

I volunteer at the library at school and it would be fine if all I did is help the kids find what books they wanted and check their books out...but I have to put up all the ones they bring back in and it crawls ALL OVER ME! I am not a detailed person...and having to put those books back right where they are suppose to be just about makes me crazy.

The great thing about volunteering even in a situation like that is - It still makes me feel good. I have helped where needed. That actually encourages me as well as giving aid to others. Win - win situation.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2008 08:12 am
I have worked with literacy and food programs for about 20 years. It's a matter of walking my talk. I have always believed that as a society we are only as strong as our weakest members. I believe that many people just need a boost up and they will take the opportunity to better themselves. Most people do not come from happy, well-adjusted families and have not been taught the most basic of survival skills. I don't believe children should be punished for the short comings of their parents. I think as a society we pay a high price for not helping these children who must one day function as adults. It is beneficial to our society if we give these people the tools that will help them be better citizens.

Mentoring a 16 year old to read better and get a summer job is the best insurance for keeping them out of trouble. If I make sure a family has some milk and cereal a child they might be able to pay better attention in the classroom and become a good student. I feel better knowing the elderly in my neighborhood are not hungry, although most have spent a lifetime working and now are having to make choices between food, medicine and heat.

I like to think if I ever need the help of another community member that they will be there for me for the same reasons I am there for them.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2008 09:26 am
One other thing I've noticed: People more liberal in politics seem to volunteer as reading teachers and eldercare, while conservatives tend to join volunteer fire departments and EMS. Both groups turn up in food banks.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2008 09:34 am
I'm an old black hearted sinner who fears hell now... that's why I do volunteer and charity stuff.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2008 09:45 am
BBB
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
I'm an old black hearted sinner who fears hell now... that's why I do volunteer and charity stuff.

I heard there's a sign at the entrance to hell: Be on the lookout for Bi-Polar-Bear, he is prohibited from entering. Divert him to Speagle Heaven. Signed Dog (god spelled backwards.)

BBB
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2008 10:03 am
As a society we do have to help the less fortunate ones, the ailing ones
and the helpless ones, and yes, it does feel good to have done something for someone in need.

I have volunteered in nursing homes (those poor people are really the forgotten ones in society), at Planned Parenthood (what an eye opener),
teaching illiterate immigrants (mainly Vietnamese, Laotians) how to read (very hard). For the last six years I included my daughter in helping
less fortunate children across the border. We work with a few catholic nuns
who run an orphanage in Mexico, and we supply food, clothes, and school
supplies to them, aside from presents on birthdays, and holidays. This
has been very rewarding for my child too, besides teaching her to develop
a social conscience.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2008 10:55 am
Mame that was exactly what I was thinking the other day. I do it as much for my own enjoyment as to help others. I wonder if guilt plays on anyone and makes them volunteer? I think in a small degree it makes me want to help. I gave that man money because I felt guilty not helping him and then when I did, he seemed so genuinely grateful that I felt really good inside.

Currently, I volunteered to be a pen pal to a 5th grader in an inner city school. It is supposed to be to help them write better and to be a mentor. But you know what I love those damn letters. They brighten my day and I simply need to look at them to make me smile.

I volunteer at my daughter's school for things like chaperoning school field trips - I love spending the day with the kids and often times these trips are lots of fun. Last one, I think I enjoyed more than the kids and I learned quite a bit about some history to boot.

I even used to head up a volunteer organization at work. I didn't get paid for it as part of my job just something that was strictly volunteer. I loved it. It was fun and uplifting. Think I did it to help people - on the surface yes, but in reality it was more enjoyment for me.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2008 01:10 pm
Hey Linkat - There are many things I volunteer for that I enjoy. I teach 5 year olds at my church and I love going up to the school in the boys class to help out. I love taking meals to the shut-ins and sick folks that cannot cook for themselves. The boys help me at the soup kitchen when I go home (where my parents are) my parents are very involved and we go and help sometimes.

But I absolutely volunteer out of guilt. I am my 4 year olds team mom in T-ball. I hate being team mom. There is so much more to it at the park where we play. It is county and they do not have funding to keep it going so the team mom's job is to help get sponsors...I suck at that. But of course no other mom would step up so I felt I needed to. Not because I wanted to but because I felt I had to. I am not sure if that is guilt or not though...it was a necessity really. But I would have felt guilty if I hadn't and no one took care of the team.

I do things out of duty too. I know I need to help and I do it. I am just needing to learn where to draw the line and how to say no when my plate is full...I have a hard time if someone asks me face to face especially. It is a constant struggle to keep balance
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2008 01:16 pm
Green Witch wrote:
One other thing I've noticed: People more liberal in politics seem to volunteer as reading teachers and eldercare, while conservatives tend to join volunteer fire departments and EMS. Both groups turn up in food banks.

I guess that explains why I joined the volunteer fire dept.

Mainly, I did it because someone has to, and I live here.
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2008 07:47 am
Read the small print!
When donating in any form please read the small print. We all want our donations, and efforts really going to the people that need it or being really used for the environment.

Water Buffalo Movie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_am82KhI-c
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2008 07:56 am
I'm sorry, but I don't believe those who say they volunteer for purely
selfish reasons, whether guilt, the "feel-good feeling", or the desire for
something to do.

I believe there's a part of each of you that is altruistic and, well, just plain
good. Yeah, it often feels good to do good, but I don't think that that is
what drives you.

No offense.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2008 08:19 am
You see the good in people George...that is good. I believe once I am actually doing the volunteer work, whether I really wanted to or not in the beginning, I am generally glad I took it on. Afterwards. Before I dread it. It is just a matter of trying to find that balance of what I think NEEDS to be done (which is so very skewed) and what I SHOULD be doing.

I have signed up for something this summer that I think I and my three boys are going to thoroughly enjoy. It is a project New Horizons Church in Eastlake is doing. It is a summer school of types to help the children in their area up their reading skills before school starts. It is also helping to give the latch key kids whose parents work during the day a place to be and have fun as well as help in their reading.

I will be tutoring every Monday through the summer in the afternoon. I am thrilled to get to do it. I did something like this in Mobile through the Greater Gulf Literacy Program and I loved it. It was for adults though. I am going to enjoy working with the kids.

I start next Monday. I am really looking forward to it.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2008 08:44 am
What fun Mismi - I love doing volunteer stuff with and for kids.

I just recently finished my pen pal volunteer. I was so sad to see it end. I love my little pen pal and don't like to think that I will no longer be getting or sending letters to her. Several weeks ago I did get to meet her and what a little sweetie she was.

So see this one was definately selfish - I think I enjoyed the letters more than she.

Although there is a bit that isn't - but definately a selfish side - but what does it matter it is one of those win-win situations.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Assist, Volunteer, Donate – why do you help?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/29/2024 at 04:19:14