The "hard" sale.

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2008 07:11 pm
This time of year my faimily goes through a lot of Benedryl so today I went to Costco. While there I piced up vitamins and some other stuff that Costco has good prices on.

When I went to check out I got a "hard" sale on buying an executive membership.

It all sounded good but when anyone tries a hard sale on me I immediately feel money flowing out of my pocket even though sometimes I'm pretty convinced that the deal being offered is a good one.

Do you give in when someone presents you with a hard sale tactic?

Why and when?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 844 • Replies: 25
No top replies

Wy

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2008 07:32 pm
I didn't know you could shop at Costco without a membership. Did you have some kind of a "try us out" coupon?

A whole membership is a bit much for me (live alone, don't drive) but I don't mind sharing one with a friend who will drive us there every once in a while... as you said, good prices on a lot of stuff.

I do have to be careful that I don't go in for Benadryl and come out with new patio furniture and fine Belgian chocolates and a salmon and a TV and - and - and ! Smile
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2008 07:43 pm
I have the basic low-brow membership. They wanted me to buy an executive membership. Mr. B buys some office supplies there.

And wine.

They have a great wine selection.

I go there about twice a year for vitamins and OTC medicines.

Today they called in the reinforcements, siccing a couple of sales ladies on me at checkout.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2008 07:50 pm
The hard sell works on me only if I've sort of already figgered out it's a good deal - and I already have a plan.

The mother of a friend of mine got the Costco business membership years ago - got 2 cards for employees that a few of us shared in rotation over a few years. If we'd been smart enough to rotate the actual membership and the cost, it would have been an even better idea.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2008 07:57 pm
Re: The "hard" sale.
boomerang wrote:

Do you give in when someone presents you with a hard sale tactic?

Never! If it sounds to good to be true, chances are, it never is.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2008 07:58 pm
When someone gives me a hard sell, I mentally shut down.

It's not that I want to, I just retreat into my own world.

I guess like a possum.

Eventually they go away.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2008 08:05 pm
Most often I'm immune to any sales tactics (hard sell, soft sell, friendly sell, etc) as I already know what I want, and what I'm willing to pay for it, before I even leave home. I am not a shopper.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2008 08:07 pm
i love costco, bottom line people selling stuff want money, if you buy make sure its worth it.

IMO, im about to go get a membership there in a few months. usually i ignore higher tier options on things. maybe it will be qorth looking into.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2008 08:35 pm
Having been raised by a father who was a salesman, and having been involved in advertising and p.r. for so many years, I am extremely sales-resistant. When anyone uses a "hard sell" on me, I lock down mentally and act amused that they'd even try that tactic with me. I've been known to walk out of car dealerships and insurance agencies laughing hysterically.

[size=7]I'm a complete sucker for kids, though. Anybody under 10 who rings my doorbell, I buy.[/size]
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2008 09:18 pm
Chumly wrote:
Most often I'm immune to any sales tactics (hard sell, soft sell, friendly sell, etc) as I already know what I want, and what I'm willing to pay for it, before I even leave home. I am not a shopper.

Just in case the "bolding" does not show up right....and I meant to bold these words specifically.....I know what I want, before I leave home.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2008 05:36 am
Like 2 packs and chumly I never buy anything unplanned.

I think its a guy thing.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2008 06:41 am
Eva wrote:
Having been raised by a father who was a salesman, and having been involved in advertising and p.r. for so many years, I am extremely sales-resistant. When anyone uses a "hard sell" on me, I lock down mentally and act amused that they'd even try that tactic with me. I've been known to walk out of car dealerships and insurance agencies laughing hysterically.

Eva, what's a good thing to say to someone ass giving you a hard sell to let them know you mean it and you're not going to continue to listen to them?

I'm talking about when you do know what you want, you're in the store, and they just keep on at you? I don't want to shut down, but rather move them on to what I want to talk about, since I know I'm going to be buying something.

Not something slick or sarcastic, since I'm sure they heard it all. Something that will make them realize they aren't about to sell something if they keep this up.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2008 06:46 am
I have to be careful-- if I feel some kind of connection with the person doing the selling and it's product I can use, their personality wins out and I will buy it.

As a result, I have a perfectly barely nail buffer thing-a-whats-it because the woman at the kiosk flagged me down at the mall.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2008 06:49 am
Heh...!

I hate being pressured, and the more pressure I feel, the more I push back. The deaf card is useful here, if they're just not letting up.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2008 07:00 am
Gala wrote:
I have to be careful-- if I feel some kind of connection with the person doing the selling and it's product I can use, their personality wins out and I will buy it.

As a result, I have a perfectly barely nail buffer thing-a-whats-it because the woman at the kiosk flagged me down at the mall.

oh God!

You go over to those people who try to flag you down at the mall? I can't believe it.

I seldom go to the mall, hadn't had to go there for months, and when I do I usually just go directly into Macy's or some other anchor store, and never go into the morass.

A couple of weeks ago, I had to brave the midway.

I can easily ignore these people calling out "Excuse me, may I ask you a question?" or asking me if I want to sample some of their miraculous hand cream.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2008 07:12 am
Chai wrote:
Gala wrote:

oh God!

You go over to those people who try to flag you down at the mall? I can't believe it.

I seldom go to the mall, hadn't had to go there for months, and when I do I usually just go directly into Macy's or some other anchor store, and never go into the morass.

A couple of weeks ago, I had to brave the midway.

I can easily ignore these people calling out "Excuse me, may I ask you a question?" or asking me if I want to sample some of their miraculous hand cream.

Ha. Thanks for the vote of confidence, Chai. Yes, I consider my Dead Sea nail buffer as somewhat of an impulse buy. However, it's something I will use, once in a while. I even think about it on and off as it sits in the cabinet below the bathroom sink.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2008 09:40 am
Pushy salespeople make me furious. They are ignoring my wishes and wasting my time.

First I'll cut them of with a firm, "No thank you."

If they persist, I ask in tones of icy rage, "Did you hear me say "No thank you?"

Third step is a request to be connected with their supervisor--if I haven't hung up or marched away.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2008 09:47 am
Noddy24 wrote:
Pushy salespeople make me furious. They are ignoring my wishes and wasting my time.

First I'll cut them of with a firm, "No thank you."

If they persist, I ask in tones of icy rage, "Did you hear me say "No thank you?"

Third step is a request to be connected with their supervisor--if I haven't hung up or marched away.

This makes me think of another point. The only time I encounter pushy sales people (with the exception of the Dead Sea nail buffer) when I am in the market to buy something.

Then, and only then does it matter that I have a connection with the sales person, if they're doing the hard sell and there's something about them I like, I will get it.

If the sales person is utterly unappealing in a personality sense, I won't make the purchase.
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2008 10:02 am
I'll have to admit that I do "shop"....or I'd prefer to call it peruse, the shelves at book stores....and of course hardware stores, if I have time to kill.

To most of the people that work in book stores....generally college kids in ours....I suppose I must look like someone that doesn't even know how to read, so the salespeople don't bother me much...really never, I've had a few cashiers that I swore were stifling a giggle as they asked me "Sir, are you a *snort* member". And as everyone that has ever needed assistance in a hardware store knows, they equip the staff with invisibility cloaks or something...so that's never a problem either.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2008 10:19 am
A hard sales actually does the opposite. I get turned off and shut down. I don't listen and feel the person is trying to pull something over me - even like you said when there seems no reason that the deal isn't good.

Most likely I feel this way because, if a product is good, then a hard sale is not necessary - it speaks for itself. If something is a hard sale then there is almost always a reason why it is a hard sale.

I always buy from kids too.

Buying unplanned is not a guy thing - I plan and my husband is an impulse buyer - he once came home with a very large TV - we already had one - he thought it would fit better in our stand.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » The "hard" sale.
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/28/2024 at 10:29:04