Question for artsy craftsy people

Chai

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2008 03:28 pm
ok.

I've got 15 nike and adidas warm up jackets made of polyester/nylon

I want to put a temporary logo on them. They are really nice jackets, and I'm sure the people getting them will make good use of them.

But, I don't want to iron on a permanent patch, which may keep them from making future use of them.

I can design and print out a logo, but what can I use to adhere them to the polyester?

Something that will stay on for a day or 2, put will easily come off and leave no marks?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,618 • Replies: 30
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2008 03:31 pm
You can just baste them on. (Loosely stitch with needle and thread -- small stitches on the outside but then widely spaced on the inside. Easy to cut the thread and rip off the whole thing.)

The holes will be there for a little bit but will fade soon, and especially if washed.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2008 03:39 pm
now why didn't I think of that? Surprised

thanks

as an alternative though, let's say we can't find a cloth patch we like, and I make up a logo on paper, like thick label paper. Is there some sort of gluey thing that will wash off.

How about stitch witchery, or would the iron have to be so hot it burns the nylon?
Does stitch witchery come off easily?

just trying to get a few alternatives.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2008 03:39 pm
I'd just use sticker paper. You can buy it precut in all sizes and shapes or you can buy full sheets and cut to the size and shape you want. If it only needs to stay on for a day or two I think that would work fine.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2008 03:43 pm
You could probably use that wierd rubbery gluey stuff like they use attatch credit cards to paper - it's like a little blob of stuff that rubs off. I have no idea what it actually is or where you would find it though.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2008 03:45 pm
oooooh.....Chai likes!

I'm on the case.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2008 04:09 pm
GEt matching hats and put the logos on the hats , youll never get all the **** off those shiny Korean jackets.

Whats the logo?
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2008 04:46 pm
this is an olympic theme thing farmer.

I've already mandated they will be wearing crowns of laurel.

A couple of them will have syringes attached to their arms (my idea, big surprise, huh?)

The logo will either be an eagle, or a star.
Worse comes to worse, the logos aren't necessary, but I'm not budging on the syringes.

oh...also gold medals around their necks.

One person wants to dress as a Tibetan monk, but I'm sure some butt wipe would be a big drag and get all upset.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2008 04:56 pm
As another possibility - there is a material called "buckram" that is used in sewing (Don't even ask me why I know this!). You can buy it in a roll of 2"-3" wide material and there are "iron-on" versions of it that are used to hold curtain hems together until the pleats can be made and sewn in.

If you cut a piece to the size you need you can put it between the jacket and the logo and hit it quickly with a typical steam iron and it will stay in place for a few days/weeks. If it sticks longer than that you can stick the item in the dryer and it will fall off in the dryer's heat.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2008 05:32 pm
Im just concerned that anything you do that involves heat or even embroidery will leave the jackets permanently marred .(Unless the material is like Goretex)

OK Ok, how about making everybody wear a banner (you know the kind that says Miss AMerica that the girls wear when they win ) . You could screw that up all to hell and not mess the jackets up at all.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2008 05:37 pm
oh for christs sake.

people don't wear banners at the olympics!

do they?

and what about the guys?
I haven't even sprung the laurel leaf crown on them yet

anyway, I've done my part, I bought all these clothes, ordered crap online, this other person who's more handy is in charge of the logos. She's the one talking about the iron on's. I just don't think that should happen.

ahhh....the truth comes out, eh Chai?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2008 07:26 pm
yes they wear banners off the shoulder. You can say stuff about Tibet and NEpal on banners.

ANYWAY, Its a damn protest right? what do you care about whats proper? The laurel leaves , thats cool, looks like the Village People.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2008 07:41 pm
how about having two strings going across shoulders and two under arms - like a bra? you know - square on front, square on the back, connected with strings on top and on the sides (to be tied)?
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2008 07:50 pm
...or like a small apron - string around the neck and tie in the back..

http://www.supplierlist.com/photo_images/3638/ApronPVC_PVC_poyester_Polyeser__PVCNylon_PVC_.jpg
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2008 08:24 pm
whats that for? the 200 meter hot dog geschmearen?
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2008 09:42 pm
well, not all buddhists are vegetarian, you know Rolling Eyes ...or something.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2008 09:48 pm
Oh, man! This is AWESOME. For the first time ever since joining this site, I feel that I have truly useful knowledge. <basking in the moment>

Okay, now that I've basked, this is just what the doctor ordered. It's called Aleene's Tack It Over and Over (isn't that just the catchiest name ever!) and it's just a glue that you can peel off and restick, you know, over and over. It's way cool!

http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog_old.jsp?PRODID=10767&CATID=2052&foreground=green
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2008 11:40 pm
That's our Cypher, she knows her stuff...
(teasing, I know you know your stuff).

I guess I don't get what the jackets are for or why the logos need to be temporary. Me, too dumb to live, yes. Or I could go to Beijing in August and asphyxiate myself on smog.

They are for protest and potentially useful otherwise sometime later?

On the other hand, the Chinese are doing a major effort, incredible building. I've mixed feelings, as I've been watching them building in my architectural news updates for at least a couple of years. And I always, always, feel for the athletes who train for years with the Olympics in mind. I'm probably more for everybody going than I am for boycott, but by a mere hair.

This all reminds me of a recent interesting New Yorker article. Back with a link some sunny day.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2008 04:41 am
cyphercat wrote:
Oh, man! This is AWESOME. For the first time ever since joining this site, I feel that I have truly useful knowledge. <basking>

Okay, now that I've basked, this is just what the doctor ordered. It's called Aleene's Tack It Over and Over (isn't that just the catchiest name ever!) and it's just a glue that you can peel off and restick, you know, over and over. It's way cool!

http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog_old.jsp?PRODID=10767&CATID=2052&foreground=green

ohhhhh....I'm eternally grateful.

this is just the ticket.

Osso...I admit I've gotten silly in this thread, (well, except for the syringes)

This is for a national meeting for my company that's held once a year. On various nights, they have theme nights, and such.

Since this is an olympic year, the 15 people going from my division thought they'd like to get dressed as olympic ath. Hence the Nike/Adidas track suits, gold medals, laurel leafs. The logo would be something from our divisional name.

Does that help?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2008 05:25 am
See, instead of the syringes (which unless you have a herd of sheep, are difficult to buy in bulk), why not have everyone wear banners that say "Juiced" or "Not Juiced". The ones that are juiced will have a built in excuse to get **** faced at the party. They can trade banners when they want to sober up.

I remember my past company doing "team building" stuff like this, very embarassing (or is it embarrasing).
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Question for artsy craftsy people
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/18/2024 at 05:28:20