Recurrent Stomach Pain/Vomiting

Noddy24

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 04:39 pm
Cyphercat--

You have my sympathy.

I don't understand why some men assume that seeing a doctor is admitting to a Great Moral Flaw--but they do hang on to that bogus connection.

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 07:19 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
I don't understand why some men assume that seeing a doctor is admitting to a Great Moral Flaw--but they do hang on to that bogus connection...

Oh, I understand it! Men derive a lot of their self-esteem from being "problem solvers." It seems to be hard-wired in. To a lot of men, seeing a doctor is the same thing as admitting they can't solve their own problem.

Same reason they hate calling repairmen.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2008 04:10 am
Eva--

You've got it. Superman don't need no seat belt.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2008 08:39 am
Exactly.

And when you DO get them to a doctor, you have to go with them because you can't rely on them to explain the entire situation to the doctor. It's just too embarrassing for them. It's as bad as asking for detailed directions. Why else do you think MapQuest and GPSes are so popular? They can find directions without having to admit to anyone that they don't know the way.

Hubby has been much better about doctors since they saved his life about 14 years ago. I think he now looks at our doctor as a fellow mechanical expert...Hubby's specialty is computer-based control systems, doctor's specialty is human bodies. Ah well...whatever gets him there. :wink:
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2008 08:44 am
Eva, Sister--

Tell it like it is.

Mr. Noddy had severe chest pain yesterday. Nitro didn't work. I needed ten minutes of gentle persuasion before I was "allowed" to call the ambulance.

He's in the hospital, stable and resting comfortably.

Men!
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2008 02:22 pm
Sheesh! I don't know if I'm reassured to know this not-seeing-the-doctor business is some normal thing for men, or depressed to realize it's a normal thing for men...And to the point of ignoring chest pains?! Oy.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2008 02:34 pm
Men are trained (mostly by their mother's) to be "MEN" and not needing doctors or directions. "It can't really hurt that bad, don't be a baby, act like a man"
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2008 02:44 pm
dyslexia wrote:
Men are trained (mostly by their mother's) to be "MEN" and not needing doctors or directions. "It can't really hurt that bad, don't be a baby, act like a man"

Yeah, I hate that. I read recently that studies have found that parents of boys start treating them more roughly, carrying them less gently, being less sweet to them, that kind of thing, while they are still infants. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2008 10:12 pm
I can't imagine. I fawned over my son...still do, even though it embarrasses him to no end. If he got the "big boys don't cry" message, it sure wasn't from me!

(nods to Noddy)...chest pains and he still didn't want help? Oh yeah, I can believe it.

I remember when my dad was in the hospital after having colon surgery for diverticulitis. He was so annoyed at the PT for insisting on the post-op breathing exercises that he swore at the guy and threatened to get dressed right that minute and leave. "Get the **** outta my room right now, or I'm leaving!" This, from a man who couldn't even sit up, much less get out of the bed. Honestly, my mother and I could barely keep straight faces long enough to get out of that room. We burst into laughter as soon as we were out of earshot. Laughed 'til we cried, we did.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2008 11:26 pm
Well, as we all know, Noddy has a mix on her hands of a seriously ill husband and, er, an often loony one, to cut to the chase, and more piquantly, a sometimes not really loony one. I know that Noddy has a keen sense of right, re anyone's sensibility, however it goes.

I'm sure every bit of this is tough, Noddy.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2008 03:30 am
Even in his prime, Mr. Noddy was a proponent of the "Real Men Don't Need Doctors" Chapter of the Men's Lodge.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2008 03:30 am
Even in his prime, Mr. Noddy was a proponent of the "Real Men Don't Need Doctors" Chapter of the Men's Lodge.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/04/2024 at 08:43:24