Recurrent Stomach Pain/Vomiting

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2008 07:18 pm
Hey guys, I wondered if any of you might have some thoughts on this...

My husband says he's always had a tendency to have stomachaches, but in the last year and 1/2 or so it's become more frequent and usually ends with him vomiting. It happens about every three months. He'll have a stomach ache for hours, sometimes all day or all night, and then finally throw up. He says he doesn't feel nauseated, that it's just a sharp pain.

He was sure it was an allergic reaction to green onions because it happened twice after dinners containing green onions, but now it's happened two or three times without that. I felt like it was something to do with stress, because it's only since his dad's death, and since he's been getting really stressed out about his school work, that it started happening regularly (had happened once before that).

I'm really tired of it--I mean, obviously he's more tired of it, I'm sure!--but the thing is he doesn't want to do anything about it and I damn well do! ....he's inclined to just accept it, because he hates doctors. Plus he doesn't think that throwing up 4-5 times a year is all that often or unusual, and not enough to worry about. So I'm wondering about other peoples' thoughts on that part --I mean, isn't it unusual to get sick that often? could it be often enough to be a problem, damage to the esophagus, tooth enamel, etc? And does anyone have thoughts on what it could be? There really hasn't seemed to be anything he's eaten every time it's happened, so I don't know if it could be an allergy...and it can't be spoiled food or bad cooking I wouldn't think, because I've never gotten the least bit ill. Any thoughts would be much appreciated!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 9,466 • Replies: 31
No top replies

JPB

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2008 07:22 pm
Strange.

Where exactly is the sharp pain? Gut (stomach), upper/lower left/right abdominal quadrant. Obviously, he should get it checked out by a dr, but that's easy for me to say.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2008 07:24 pm
In order of increasing concern: food allergies, ulcers, stomach cancer.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2008 07:25 pm
Stress related?

Can trigger lots of hidden troubles.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2008 07:30 pm
I go with what Chumly said. The sooner he visits the doctor the better.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2008 07:55 pm
Chumly wrote:
In order of increasing concern: food allergies, ulcers, stomach cancer.

Actually, I was thinking of something else entirely.

Symptoms gall bladder disease

* Abdominal fullness or gas
* Abdominal pain that is:
o Severe
o Located on the right side (right upper quadrant) or in the upper middle of the abdomen (epigastric)
o Decreased over 12 to 18 hours in uncomplicated cases
o Recurrent or similar to pain in past
o Occurring after meals
o Worse during deep intake of breath
o Radiating to back or below the right shoulder blade
o Worse after eating or drinking fatty foods or fluids
* Fever
* Nausea and vomiting
* Heartburn
* Chills and shaking
* Chest pain under the breastbone

And there are dozens of other things it could be depending on where the pain is located. He needs to be seen by an MD during one of the episodes for a proper diagnosis, c-cat.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2008 08:02 pm
Those are some of the same symptoms I had as a teenager when I had an acute case of appendicitis.

Later in life, I had those very same symptoms as an unknown ovarian cyst was growing and got large enough to put pressure on my intestines and other organs, causing blockages and vomiting.

Has your husband changed his eating habits to avoid the pains and vomiting? Has his weight changed?

In both cases above, emergency surgery was needed to finally relieve the pains and vomiting.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2008 08:13 pm
yeah -- appendicitis makes sense when it's acute, but not so much recurrent the way this is. could be any number of things....

cypher, what were the green onions in the previous two times? I once told a doc I had a problem with salty foods and thought I was becoming sensitive to salt. He asked what I was salting... french fries, fried shrimp, and a list of other things I was cooking in my new Fry Baby Embarrassed
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2008 08:21 pm
My first thought is ulcer.

Untreated, it can get much more, even leading to stomach cancer.

No, it's not normal to vomit 4 times a year. In the last 20, I've vomited twice, maybe 3 times.

This is surely a symptom of something else, and I'd say something more serious. Ignoring it will only make it worse.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2008 08:39 pm
I thought of ulcer first too. Many cases of ulcer have been found to be caused by a certain bacterium, (H. pylorus?), treatable, if I remember, by an antibiotic. That wasn't discovered until fairly recently. I also thought about gall bladder as a possibility. In any case, obviously he should see an internist.

Hmm, I even know an office I like in your neck of the woods. But one person's satisfaction with a med group ain't always transferrable.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 04:15 am
Nope, it's not normal to throw up that much.

And even if it is "just" stress, stress has its own dangers.

Despite his aversion, he needs to go to a GP.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 01:28 pm
Yay, thanks everyone! I appreciate the responses so much...even just a simple "go to the doctor" is helpful, because I'll show this to him and it'll carry more weight than just me trying to convince him, hopefully.. Edgar, Chumly, Rockhead, thank you so much for putting your two cents in. Smile

I'm sorry if this is long, but everyone had thoughts I want to respond to, though...

JPB wrote:

Symptoms gall bladder disease

* Abdominal fullness or gas
* Abdominal pain that is:
o Severe
o Located on the right side (right upper quadrant) or in the upper middle of the abdomen (epigastric)
o Decreased over 12 to 18 hours in uncomplicated cases
o Recurrent or similar to pain in past
o Occurring after meals
o Worse during deep intake of breath

It's in the upper middle of his abdomen, right under his breastbone. Those last four symptoms sure fit perfectly. Pain during deep intake of breath--that's actually something he mentions fairly often, come to think of it.

JPB wrote:
He needs to be seen by an MD during one of the episodes for a proper diagnosis, c-cat.

Oh, duh--you know, it sounds so obvious, but I actually hadn't thought of trying to get him to go during an episode...thanks!

Butrflynet wrote:

Has your husband changed his eating habits to avoid the pains and vomiting? Has his weight changed?

Hasn't changed his eating habits, he pretty much forgets about it as soon as it's over--*sigh*
Come to think of it, he did just mention that he's lost quite a bit of weight--maybe ten, fifteen pounds?--for no apparent reason.

Butrflynet wrote:
In both cases above, emergency surgery was needed to finally relieve the pains and vomiting.

Oh, man, I'm so sorry to hear about all that, Butrfly! You've had more than your fair share of health problems, for sure... Sad And I do take your point, that abdominal pain is nothing to ignore...

JPB wrote:
cypher, what were the green onions in the previous two times?

I once told a doc I had a problem with salty foods and thought I was becoming sensitive to salt. He asked what I was salting... french fries, fried shrimp, and a list of other things I was cooking in my new Fry Baby Embarrassed
Heh! Smile

The onions were in fried rice--homemade, and I don't use much oil, so not *too* bad, but definitely fatty... I could go for fatty foods being a culprit--it's also been after burritos and pizza that I can remember. Although then I think of just how often we have pizza--the boy can handle fatty foods *most* of the time, that's for sure! Laughing

Chai wrote:
No, it's not normal to vomit 4 times a year. In the last 20, I've vomited twice, maybe 3 times.

Thank you! That's what I keep saying, but I honestly didn't know if maybe I'm just lucky or something--although I have reminded him of that Seinfeld episode where Jerry's trying to keep from breaking his ten year no-vomiting streak...I thought for sure a Seinfeld reference would convince him!

ossobuco wrote:
Hmm, I even know an office I like in your neck of the woods. But one person's satisfaction with a med group ain't always transferrable.

You know, a recommendation really might be persuasive to him, I dunno. He hears about my a2k ex-North Coast friend all the time, might make him a little more comfortable with it Smile
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 01:36 pm
Cypher, many years back I went through testing for very similar symptoms. I came away with a peptic ulcer, and it was able to be dealt with.

I hate docs, but sometimes ya gotta go.

RH
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 01:38 pm
So, ulcers keep coming up--I thought of that, but really, when I read about it, it didn't sound much like his symptoms. Confused I don't know....

And you know the problem I run into when I try to tell him it could be stress related, and that stress can be a big health problem? He says he's not stressed.

Arggggh!

And then I say, not stressed huh? Then why are ya such a booger to be around so much of the time?! Laughing
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 01:39 pm
Oh, hi, Rockhead! I thought I was alone in here while I was having a rant Smile

So, may I pick yer brains about ulcers? (doesn't that sound unpleasant?!) ...this does sound similar to your symptoms? Did you go for quite a while between episodes? I'm trying to remember what I was reading on WebMD about peptic ulcers that made me think it didn't sound like it...
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 01:43 pm
a link heading out from my favourite reference medlineplus.org

Nausea and Vomiting

a very basic keying chart
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 01:47 pm
My peptic one was at the top of the stomach, and was only violently brought into play when my stomach was relatively full. (Soda or beer Crying or Very sad on a hot stressful day could make me spew)

He needs a scan and testing to see, I was hit and miss for years.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 01:47 pm
http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/cvs/index.htm

Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 01:50 pm
Thanks, Beth--I ended up at "Go see your doctor" very quickly Laughing

I'll definitely show it to him.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 01:55 pm

Oh, you know, I just heard about this for the first time a couple weeks ago--right before he had another episode--and was telling him it sounded like that... I'm gonna check that link out right now...
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Recurrent Stomach Pain/Vomiting
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/04/2024 at 07:36:06