Walmart and Unionization - Labor Betting Walmart is Ripe

sumac

Reply Sun 17 Nov, 2002 08:25 pm
And it couldn't happen to a more deserving company. I've got my own Walmart horror story to share. ANyone else? Anyone know anything about this? Seems like a calculated and gutsy move by the unions.

www.reclaimdemocracy.org/weekly_article/ union_walmart_showdown_in_vegas.html -

Retail Wholesale Department Store Union (RWDSU) - Walmart Dispute ...
... In communities all across BC, the United Food and Commercial Workers Union, Local
1518, is acting as the catalyst to build Community Coalitions against Wal-Mart ...

More Walmart Stories---Always Anti-union and anti-worker
... Wal-Mart Misuses Profanity Rule. to Illegally Fire Union Supporter. ... -
Illegally discriminating against Union handbillers (Beckley). ...

National Day of Action Against Walmart :: IAM District 751 :: ...
... , PSI Training: Communication with Union Members and ... National Day of Action Against
Walmart Posted by: ConnieK on Thursday, November 14, 2002 - 08:41 AM PST, ...

Workers vs. Walmart: Showdown in Vegas - ReclaimDemocracy.org
... Aided by 15 organizers, a Web site, and a weekly radio call-in show just for Wal-Mart
workers, the union won enough support to petition the National Labor ...

REAP News & Views - Is Walmart a Threat to UFCW?
... The UFCW International Union leadership has been banging its public relations drum
and proclaiming to all that it has launched a national campaign to organize ...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 6,715 • Replies: 2
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 17 Nov, 2002 09:28 pm
The nation is in an atmosphere of anti-unionism, near as I can tell. The early organizers fought and often died to instate strong unions. Then union corruption was used as a basis for busting unions. The public in general seems to have disdain for unionism today. I don't know that Walmart is a good target, as money powerful as it is and considering most customers would probably not let themselves be disuaded from shopping there in the event of strikes or boycots. I say give it a try, but am dubious.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2003 08:59 am
The US Department of Labor (USDOL) has been investigating WalMart for over two years. So far they have found major violations of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) by and in pay equity handled by the the Employment Standards Administration (ESA).

The USDOL Solicitor's Office (SOL) is developing a mind boggling case against WalMart and Sam's Club. This is of course really big since WalMart is the largest company in the world.

The problem: Our trade imbalance with China, we cannot afford to offend the Chinese and almost everyting in WalMart and Sam's is from China. Secondly where will those folks work when they are downsized and self check out takes over because WalMart cannot sell for less without violating the law?

And I bet before all is said and done there will be plenty of ERISA violations as well.

WalMart employees are the poster children for why unions are necessary in some companies.
0 Replies