Importing From China - Logistics for a school project

regerla

Thu 27 Mar, 2008 06:50 pm
I am working a project right now for class at Boston University that requires importing from China. The numbers can be ball park figures but I need to find the associated costs.

The product I am importing is a fictional ski mask that has a retail value of 25 dollars and a variable cost of about 8 dollars.

Ideally I would like to send the product from Guangdong to a holding facility in Nebraska. The shipment would be 5000 units which weighs approximately 300 pounds.

I can provide any more details upon request but I need to find out how long it would take for the goods to get door to door and the shipping and import costs associated with them.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,590 • Replies: 2
Topic Closed
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Thu 3 Apr, 2008 08:04 pm
regeria, First of all, welcome to a2k. Your project to determine shipping costs are usually based on size and weight.

You can estimate the cost by going to USPS Calculator, International, on the internet.

The cost of production in China can be roughly estimated by what we see in all of our stores that are "Made In China" products, and the estimated markup of 100 to 150% of cost.

Don't forget to add the costs of import taxes, storage, and transportation costs between port to port and port to US destination.
0 Replies

glasglow

Sat 3 May, 2008 09:23 am
You'll have to look in the Harmonized tariff schedule for a real quote on the tariffs or call a broker.

There are a few options, if instead of weight you have the size of the masks you can calcuate CBM (Cubic Meter) of the products and go with either air cargo (3-4 days) to your nearest airport and 1/2 day UPS to your door unless you can pick it up yourself or Sea cargo which is at about 19 days to your nearest port, however you are pretty far inland so a freight forwarder would probably be needed to truck it to you from there. You have a lot of options. For economic reasons, unless you are on a tight schedule you would most likely be interested in Sea Cargo.

Ball Park figures - Air Cargo $14.00 per CBM and Sea Cargo $6.00 per CBM, also need to consider whether or not there will be an exit tax on the Chinese side.
0 Replies