How Do You Do Your Taxes???

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2008 01:49 pm
Well, it's that time of the year again. Taxes are due in less than a month.
How do you do your taxes? Have you done them yet, or do you wait for the last minute? If you use a computer program, which one? Is it one that you have used before, and if you have switched, why?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,388 • Replies: 31
No top replies

martybarker

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2008 01:55 pm
I am using Turbo Tax. This is the first year I've attempted to do it myself, I am however, having an accountant friend look over it to make sure I didn't miss anything. Hopefully this will give me the confidence to do it myself without help next year.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2008 01:58 pm
I used to use Turbo Tax until the scandal a few years back when I switched to Tax Cut. No real reason to switch back even though TT fixed their problems.

Not done yet. Not even started. I'm traveling the week of the 15th so I'll have to have them done before I go -- probably send them in on the 12th.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2008 02:07 pm
Myself, by hand. I tired turbotax a couple of years, and had to leave the computer running overnight to get the updates, without which, it would not procede. The updates involved special rules for victums of hurricane katrina. I am not in an area affected and thought this was a magnificant waste of my time.

This year, they sent me an unsolicitated disk. I am supposed to pay if I use it. I didn't, and they sent me several reminders. Seems they can't even give the blessed thing away.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2008 02:13 pm
I use Turbo Tax online. I won't use a desktop-based software, as that requires that all the tax law logic happen on my computer, which means I need the updates to get there and need a new program every year.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2008 03:25 pm
I have been attempting to coerce Mr. P. to use Turbo Tax for a number of years. I had done my mom's taxes on the program, and showed him how easy it was. He absolutely refuses, preferring instead to do it by hand. He refuses to go to an accountant, as he claims that he can do the job better. Once we went to an accountant, who gave us wrong information (which Mr. P. corrected himself), and charged us anyhow.

As a result, I find that he is coming to me for information that I have to get from the internet. I am far more internet savvy than he is. So I could probably say that we BOTH do our taxes. Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

JustBrooke

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2008 03:36 pm
Last yeat my accountant charged me 600 buckaroo's. Years prior it was in the 300 range. When I questioned the huge jump last year she said it was because she had another form to fill out because I sold some stock. Rolling Eyes

Sooooo.......this year I used Turbo Tax online. Happy to have saved the money on this years taxes since Uncle Sam doesn't think I need to be included in the "rebate" other people are getting. Jeesh....and I would have spent that money like the gov wants us to do!
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2008 03:43 pm
I used to do them by hand, Phoenix. I have a fairly complicated return and it got to the point that I was running around looking for worksheets and sub-worksheets at the last minute. I'd spend hours doing all the worksheets only to reach the bottom and be told that I should use the original number I had before going through all the bs of the worksheets. That's when I started using the computer. What took days now takes a couple hours.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2008 03:46 pm
JPB- If only I could convince Mr. P. Every year he makes such a big deal over it. Our return is also rather complicated, and he is convinced that a computer program could not possibly have all the things that he needs. I attempted to explain that anything that is not as he wants it from the program can be dealt with manually, but I am pissing in the breeze.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 23 Mar, 2008 10:27 am
Turbo Tax online, and have done so for years. I've never had a problem with it. My taxes are long done and the refund is already here.

That might be a way to convince Mr. P.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sun 23 Mar, 2008 10:33 am
Back when I could use the 1040 short form I did them by hand but I've used Turbo Tax for the last 15 or so years without problems. I've debated on using their on-line product for teh last few years simply because it allows you to store your retun there if you need to look it up for some reason.

If you use the stand alone desktop product you have to install the software again (for some insane reason each year's version corrupts all thw provious years installations so if you need to look at your 2004 returns you have to install all of the 2005-2007 programs and reinstall the 2004 software - which you likely no longer have the validation key for...).
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Sun 23 Mar, 2008 10:36 am
TurboTax online for me. We've already done them. It's cheap and you can e-file from there for both state and federal. It took me one long evening to get it all done, but it's done.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2008 08:31 pm
Well, I finally bit the bullet and bought Turbo Tax. I have been after Mr. P to use it for years. We have a rather complex tax situation, and he has always been doing it by hand. This year had not been too good to him medically, and the strain was showing.

Anyhow, from the moment that I bought the program, he has found fault with it. He is still positive that a computer program could not possibly replace a human being doing the figuring.

I ran into a small glitch (which I later figured out), and he was quick to say, "I told you so". If I get through this tax season with my sanity intact, it will be nothing short of a miracle. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2008 08:36 pm
I did my return by hand and had 2 bottles of White-Out available for corrections.

If you do many stock trades you know what a dam pain the whole thing is.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2008 08:38 pm
I have a financial advisor who does them. I'm just too damn lazy and it's part of their service anyway.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2008 09:13 pm
Tax guy. I did Turbo Tax once and screwed it up. Easier just to pay someone.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2008 09:36 pm
I have an accountant. I deal with 1099s and it's just safer to have
someone who knows the ever changing tax laws, and works to my
advantage.
0 Replies

Bohne

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2008 02:26 am
Theoretically I use a computer programme.
But I still have to do taxes for 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 and 2007.

Probably time to start on that!!!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2008 02:34 am
Gee, Bohne, are you going to have to dig up software old enough to do all that?
0 Replies

Bohne

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2008 03:10 am
I have 2003, 2004, and 2005 lying around somewhere.
Had the best intentions at the time!

Embarrassed
0 Replies