Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2008 05:07 pm
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,303 • Replies: 12
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2008 05:17 pm
I was under the impression that 2001, the book happened after 2001, the movie but was based on an IDEA by AC Clarke.

Those sci-fi guys are so cool.

Maybe now he is the bubble baby!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2008 05:34 pm
I liked much of 2001, the book, but didn't care for about 2/3 of the film.

Childhood's End was my favorite.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2008 07:05 pm
hmmmm.... feeling like we're losing the greats.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2008 07:32 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
Childhood's End was my favorite.

one of my faves too, along with the rama series

i think i will read "the nine billion names of god" tonight
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2008 07:36 pm
I could never figure out his accent. He used to do some kind of commercial from Bangladesh or Sri LAnka . I forget what he was peddling.

He had the idea for gesosynchronous orbiting satellites. Did he get paid for that idea?
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2008 07:40 pm
Oh crap this is bad news for me. Oh crap this is bad news for me. Oh crap this is bad news for me. Oh crap this is bad news for me. Oh crap this is bad news for me. Oh crap this is bad news for me. Oh crap this is bad news for me. Oh crap this is bad news for me. Oh crap this is bad news for me. Oh crap this is bad news for me. Oh crap this is bad news for me. Oh crap this is bad news for me. Oh crap this is bad news for me. Oh crap this is bad news for me. Oh crap this is bad news for me. Oh crap this is bad news for me. Oh crap this is bad news for me. Oh crap this is bad news for me. Oh crap this is bad news for me. Oh crap this is bad news for me. Oh crap this is bad news for me.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2008 08:22 pm
Age 90. Not bad, I say. Let the man rest.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2008 08:34 pm
Re: Arthur C. Clarke dead in Sri Lanka
edgarblythe wrote:

Clarke's best-known novel, "2001: A Space Odyssey," became the basis of the 1968 film of the same name, directed by Stanley Kubrick. The film and the book elevated the plot's mentally unbalanced computer, HAL 9000, into the pantheon of great fictional characters.

I always wondered why someone didn't just throw a cup of coffee at that evil computer and put an end to it. Works with my computer every time.

If someone was to tell me I will die at the age of 90 in Sri Lanka I would be fine with it. RIP Arthur.
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2008 08:37 pm
FM-equatorial geosynchronous orbits are called Clark Orbits.

eblyst-2001 was based upon the short story "The Sentinel", the book 2001 was penned to accompany the movie.

Skyhooks, beanstalks or space elevators were not completely Clarks, they date back to a Russian scientist of the late 19th century. They've been used in many fictions hence.

Nevertheless, Clark was a futurist of the first quarter. His visions will be missed.

If only for Clark's laws
Quote:
1. When a distinguished but elderly scientist states that something is possible, he is almost certainly right. When he states that something is impossible, he is very probably wrong.
2. The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible.
3. Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

Rap
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2008 08:46 pm
RIP to a man that spent a lot of time in my forming.

RH
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2008 04:06 pm
I had a collection of short stories by M. Clarke that I really loved as a pubescent (9 billion names of God was in it - great story - but my fave was 'The Star') and I read some novels (Childhood's end sticks out).

My recollection is that 2001 was based on yet another Clarke short story; The Sentinel.

Here's his 90th birthday address: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qLdeEjdbWE

Hope my mind is still churning at that age - heck I hope it's still churning next week.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2008 04:50 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
Age 90. Not bad, I say. Let the man rest.
whats the alternative? We could dig him up, but then he's not in the ground yet.
0 Replies