CDs, IRAs, RMDs and Nasty Surprises

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2008 10:11 am
This information may not be relevent to many A2Kers, but may be invaluable to their parents, or even grandparents.

Many people have Individual Retirement Accounts (IRAs) that are put into Certificates of Deposit (CDs). As you probably know, if you take any money out of the CD before it matures, there is a hefty penalty.

At 59 1/2, a person can start taking money from their IRAs. If they have one in a CD, the best thing is to wait until it matures, before taking out any of the money without a penalty from the bank.

At 70 1/2, the rules change. Uncle Sam requires that a person who has attained that age MUST take out an RMD (required minimum distribution) every year. How much they are obliged to take is based on some actuarial figure.

Now let's say that you are 70 1/2 and have a CD which is not maturing during the year that you have to take the RMD. Most banks won't penalize you for removing the RMD (but not any more than that). After all, you are required, by the government, to take that money.

But there are some who WILL penalize you. The rub is, that they will not tell you that before hand and are not required to do so. You must ask BEFORE you put your money in an IRA CD.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,099 • Replies: 3
No top replies

roger

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2008 12:03 pm
Interesting. The bank I use for IRA CDs (State Farm Bank) doesn't let you do a lot of fine tuning on maturity dates, either. The rule is that a CD in an IRA must have a term of at least one year. I don't know if this is a government rule, or the bank's.

I use State Farm, by the way, because their rates are always significantly better than any of our local brick & morter banks in town. They're FDIC insured.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2008 05:48 pm
Rog- It must be the bank's rule. Nowadays, with the rates slipping and sliding, I have seen specials on four month CDs. If you want to get an idea about different rates, this is a great site:

http://www.bankrate.com/brm/rate/deposits_home.asp

I have bought regular (not IRA) CDs over the internet. If I am not sure of the bank, I will check its strength by going here:

http://www2.fdic.gov/idasp/main_bankfind.asp

Anyway, you can have an account in each bank for $100,000, and if it goes belly up, you still can get the money. A married couple can have $200,000 in a joint account.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2008 08:46 pm
Thanks for the links. Bankrate, I was familiar with. The one to check the strength of a bank is new to me.
0 Replies