what?

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2008 01:39 pm
A simple, perhaps silly, question: Are Q-tips bad for your ears?

My wife insists that: "one shouldn't put anything smaller than their elbow, in their ears."

Don't laugh. I've heard that expression a few times. Any input, would be greatly appreciated.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 675 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2008 02:15 pm
They are definitely not recommended for that use. I use cotton swabs that way all the time. An RN i knew in the army once said that everyone tells you not to use cotton swabs that way, and everyone does it. Just be careful, 'K? I don't recommend that you do so, but i also know i have no power over anyone else in the matter.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2008 02:16 pm
Qtip on the periphery is OK and cleaning just at entry of earhole is OK
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2008 02:19 pm
Never put anything in your ear smaller that a washcloth wrapped around your elbow. Actually, getting your elbow would take an incredible range of motion and an oddly proportioned upper arm.

I use Q-Tips for this all the time.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2008 02:26 pm
It even says on the box not to stick in your ear.

But everyone I know does it.

However, you shouldn't because it just packs the wax down farther.

Try one of these. Works great.

Ototek Loop
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2008 02:38 pm
I'm 57 and I've been cleaning my ears the same way for all that time with Qtips. There has been NO problem with my years.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2008 05:50 am
In the last three months I've seen both an audiologist and an ENT. Both of them volunteered the information that Q-tips were one of the biggest causes of impacted wax.
0 Replies

alex240101

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2008 07:43 am
Thank you everybody for your posts.
To fill you in: Went swimming. Had water in my ear a few hours later. Agreed to listen to an old wives tale that my mother in law had told my wife. Next thing I know, I'm laying on the couch, sideways, and my wife is pouring hydrogen peroxide in my ear. Snap, crackle, pop. What? What? I can't hear. Peroxide dislodged waxed, wax fell in deeper. Day later, ear was irrigated.
"...if you didn't use q-tips, you wouldn't of had this problem..."

Jokingly, the next day, I broke a q-tip in half, and stuck the broken end in my ear, gingerly. I then showed my wife and asked her if I put the q-tip in too far. I don't think she was amused.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2008 04:10 pm
she has no sense of humor
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » what?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/18/2024 at 06:03:58