A Walk in the Woods

Elegant Fowl

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2003 09:04 pm
ehBeth - Karina Gauvin, magic words, those. I just this moment came back from the opera. Don Pasquale. Karina Gauvin was not in it, but Tracy Dahl was. The roll was perfect for her. Peter Stummer was terrific as the Don. Good show all around.

Tomkitten - There are some who feel that I sing charmingly sweet, but my critic's conscience will not allow me to agree with them. I've neglected my voice shamefully over the last twenty years or so. I sing mainly on canoe trips, which at least keeps the bears away.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2003 09:37 pm
Re: Walk in the Woods
Tomkitten wrote:
Margo - I'm sorry you found parts of Walk "A tad tedious". I laughed and enjoyed all the way through, and it left me worrying about what's going to happen to the Trail with population pressures growing alongside it in so many areas. Sad

My feeling about "A Sunburnt Country" - and I've never been to Australia - was that it made what could have interesting rather dry. It didn't make me want to go there, but Walk did make me wish I could trek the Trail.

TK - I didn't really find it all tedious, just some bits. But I enjoy his take on things. I appreciate the laughs. I'd like to see the Trail, but trek - forget it! I'll wait for the tour bus, thanks. Confused

Australia is a huge, dry, (except in the alcohol sense Cool ) country, and Australians generally have a very dry, understated humour, quite different to that of the US. Bill Bryson seemed to understand that humour as few North Americans do. I often feel I should wave a "JOKE" sign when I make a joke.

Elegant Fowl - thanks for replying - off to have a decko at the website! :wink:
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2003 12:15 am
I read A Walk In The Woods about 5 years ago when I was on vacation in Maine and I thought it was a great book. I found it boring at times, but not enough to make me want to put it down. It was funny to say the least :-D
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2003 07:21 am
Walk in the Woods
Now I've got to go and re-read Walk!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2003 08:20 am
I have pulled a Bryson from my stack of unread books to take on the subway this week. That is, if I manage to finish Driving over Lemons first. I love to read travel books on the subway - it's a process thing, I guess.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2003 09:36 am
Walk in the Woods
Elegant Fowl - what a great site! I look forward to a lot of good reading on it. Very Happy
0 Replies

Elegant Fowl

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2003 09:43 am
Thanks TK, and happy reading. Do be aware, of course, that some of the fiction and the section called Philharmonic Phantasies are, well, rather naughty.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2003 09:45 am
Walk in the Woods
Hey! What's wrong with a bit of naughty?
0 Replies

Elegant Fowl

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2003 09:55 am
Nothing wrong with it in my humble opinion. It's just that not everyone agrees. Embarrassed
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2003 09:58 am
a walk in the woods turns naughty.

now that's a fine digression :big huge grin:
0 Replies

Elegant Fowl

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2003 10:12 am
ehBeth wrote:

The untold story. The director's cut. Steamy tales of the world's longest footpath.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2003 02:19 pm
Elegant Fowl wrote:
ehBeth wrote:

The untold story. The director's cut. Steamy tales of the world's longest footpath.

Funny - I don't remember it being steamy! Must go and have another look! Razz

Bethie - how are you finding "Driving over Lemons"? I've recently read the next one "A Parrot in the Pepper Tree".

I'm currently reading "Vanilla Beans and Brodo", about Tuscaby.

Whooda thunk I'd be a travel book junkie? (That's too specific - I'm a travel junkie Razz ~)
0 Replies

Elegant Fowl

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2003 02:21 pm
Don't waste your time. I was trying to be funny. Walk in the Woods is about as erotic as Microsoft's annual report to its shareholders.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2003 02:24 pm
Elegant Fowl wrote:
Don't waste your time. I was trying to be funny. Walk in the Woods is about as erotic as Microsoft's annual report to its shareholders.

I know that! I'm Australian - I'm used to irony! Laughing Cool
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2003 02:46 pm
LOL!
0 Replies