Stock funds. Hold 'em or fold 'em?

roger

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2008 12:21 pm
The 401k is heavily in mutual funds with international stocks. The past six months have put share prices back where they were a eighteen months ago. If I don't like the investments, my options seem to be a money market or bond fund. Does it look like it's time for a realignment of investments.

All the options are within the American Funds offerings. I can also drop American and get into some sort of self administered IRA.

I'm 63 years old, if that makes a difference.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,084 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Amigo

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2008 12:23 pm
bm
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2008 06:31 pm
At 63 I'd be thinking about fixed interest.

Money market, debenture stocks, term deposit, Government bonds.

At least some form of capital guaranteed investment.

Interest rates are climbing in Aust (supposedly) because of a credit squeeze and increased cost of borrowing due to reduced money supply overseas.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2008 06:36 pm
liquidity is important at your age. I continue to buy 6 month reverse convertible notes but that's a bit on the risk side. Money market funds probably a good way to go.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2008 07:16 pm
Un huh. Interest is kind of low right now, but low looks better than the declines I've seen in the past 6 months, or thereabouts. I'm kind of leaning in that direction. Anyway, within the 401k, interest and any other kind of income continues to be deferred.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2008 08:28 pm
At 63 you probably don't want to move completely out of stocks, even growth stocks - but you should balance your portfolio back to a level where your risk is less. How heavy (percentage-wise) is heavy?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2008 09:10 pm
Right now, about 85% stocks & 15% mmkt.

I set the initial deferrals to those percentages. The funds invested in stocks did better than the mmkt, but that trend has definately reversed. At the moment, the stocks have a greater overall performance, but they're losing their edge.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2008 09:26 pm
Right, funds invested in stocks do perform better over the long run, but as you approach retirement age you should probably pull back to a more tolerable risk level. There are plenty of age-risk ratio recommendations out there. One is 25% - 75% stocks to bonds/income as you approach retirement (five years or less) moving down to 10%-90% or even 5%-95% after retirement. Even at 25% you can stand to weather a downturn/recovery cycle so long as you aren't withdrawing those funds and have the remainder of your portfolio to fall back on.

I don't know that there is a single magic portfolio spread for your age, years to retirement, and risk aversion but I agree that 85%-15% is heavily weighted in stocks for someone looking to retire in the next 5 years or less.
0 Replies