Don't Forget To Spring Forward

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2008 10:09 am
Well, I am up, aren't I?
All I can say is: the dog caught on to DST even before we can adjust to it.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2008 10:22 am
We did something different this year from our usual practice of changing the clocks before going to bed Saturday night.

We totally ignored DST until after we woke up Sunday morning, thus not losing that hour of sleep. I liked that and will do again!
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2008 10:24 am
dyslexia wrote:
I woke to the bedrrom clock 5 a.m. and walked out to the living room; Cable box said 6 a.m. Damn long walk I guess.

you should ask the city for bus service
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2008 10:28 am
Oops! I forgot! Dammit. Now I have to scramble to see how to shoot that cat tonight.

Who wants to help?

If I gave him insulin at 8:20 am (not DLS) this morning, it was really what time? 9:20?
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2008 01:36 pm
I don't particularily care about DST either way. Although, I would prefer to have one time all year around, rather than having to put the clock forward or back.

I'm not sold on the reason for the earlier start to DST. I don't think we're going to save energy. I still have to have lights on in the morning and it's cold, too.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2008 01:54 pm
hi , reyn !

Quote:
I'm not sold on the reason for the earlier start to DST. I don't think we're going to save energy. I still have to have lights on in the morning and it's cold, too.

i did read "somewhere" that the early switch to DST is increasing electricity use !
we are switching very gradually - got up at 9 a.m. on monday , 8 a.m. on tuesday (didn't go for morning swim) , 7:30 this morning and made it to the pool Very Happy .
by next week we expect to be back to 7 a.m. "call" .

hope you are all doing well on the coast !
today it's sunny here and ABOVE (!) freezing - but MINUS 11 C for tonight Mad
that sunshine sure feels good !
take care !
hbg
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2008 06:39 pm
hamburger wrote:
i did read "somewhere" that the early switch to DST is increasing electricity use !

Hello, H! That's interesting what you say. If you ever find out where that info comes from, I would like to know.

My sense is that we are not really saving any energy and there may be some other reason that this DST change has been implemented.
0 Replies

MagicBlackCat

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2008 02:16 pm
AZ
Heh - AZ is special. We don't change our clocks like the rest of the country. It can be confusing to many others though. Half the year we are an hour ahead of PST, the other half we are on the same time as the west coast. Now try explaining that to co-workers on the east coast and having them remember 9:00 AM EST is 6:00 in AZ and that is WAY too early to have a conference call.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2008 02:48 pm
hi , reyn !
this is from the CLEVELAND LEADER ; there are more articles under that heading .
i have to admit , i do like the sunlight still shining at around 7:30 pm - IF we can see it through the snow Laughing
(personal side : more snow today - white easter a "distinct" possibility Evil or Very Mad )
hbg

Quote:
Daylight Savings Time Comes Early This Year, Study Shows DST Wastes Energy

In 2005, President George W. Bush signed into law a broad energy bill that will extend Daylight Savings Time by four weeks. The United States had previously observed DST from the first Sunday in April through the last Sunday in October, however under the new law DST begins in March and ends in November. The new period of DST went into effect in 2007, and continues again this year.

In 2008, Daylight Savings Time will begin on 2:00 a.m. March 9, which is this upcoming weekend. At this time, you will need to turn your clocks ahead one hour.

In other Daylight Savings Time related news, a new study out of Indiana shows that while conventional wisdom has claimed that DST saves on energy, that's simply not the case.

According to the Wall Street Journal, who first reported on the Indiana study, springing forward may actually waste energy rather than save it.

The study, which was conducted by the University of California-Santa Barbara economics professor Matthew Kotchen and Ph.D. student Laura Grant, looked at how extending daylight savings time across Indiana worked out. What they found was that it mostly had negative results:

Residential electricity usage increased between 1 percent and 4 percent, amounting to $8.6 million a year.
Social costs from increased emissions were estimated at between $1.6 million and $5.3 million per year.
However, possible social benefits -- enhanced public health and safety and economic growth -- were not studied.
According to the study, an extra hour of daylight in the evenings might mean we spend less on electricity to power lights, but it means that houses are warmer in the summer and colder during the cooler months of DST. So overall, the reduced cost of lighting is offset by increased costs in air-conditioning on hot afternoons, and increased heating costs on cool mornings.

source :
EARLY DST WASTES ENERGY
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2008 05:59 pm
Quote:
According to the study, an extra hour of daylight in the evenings might mean we spend less on electricity to power lights, but it means that houses are warmer in the summer and colder during the cooler months of DST. So overall, the reduced cost of lighting is offset by increased costs in air-conditioning on hot afternoons, and increased heating costs on cool mornings.

source :
EARLY DST WASTES ENERGY

Thanks so much, H, for that information. I appreciate it. It's what I had already suspected!

Does anyone else have any thoughts on this?
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2008 06:02 pm
I love daylight savings time.... those are my thoughts Very Happy
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2008 06:27 pm
And thank you for sharing, bear.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2008 07:36 pm
Reyn wrote:
Quote:

source :
EARLY DST WASTES ENERGY

Thanks so much, H, for that information. I appreciate it. It's what I had already suspected!

Does anyone else have any thoughts on this?

How can my house be warmer in the summer and colder in the winter because of daylight savings?

If I set my thermostat to stay at 70 all winter and 75 all summer... won't my house be the same tempature whether I change my clock or not? Confused
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2008 09:39 am
Mame wrote:
And thank you for sharing, bear.

I'm here for you....always...
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2008 10:28 am
squinney wrote :

Quote:
How can my house be warmer in the summer and colder in the winter because of daylight savings?

If I set my thermostat to stay at 70 all winter and 75 all summer... won't my house be the same tempature whether I change my clock or not?

we have a thermostat on our forced-air furnace that resets the temperature to 16 C (about 60 F ?) at night - about one hour before we go to bed - and resets to 20 C (about 68 F ?) about 30 minutes before we get up . setting back night-time temperature reduced our energy consumption by about 10 % - and that's with a 15 year old furnace . if it's a cold AND damp day we push it up one degree in the evening when we aren't moving around much .
hbg
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2008 10:32 am
squinney wrote:

If I set my thermostat to stay at 70 all winter and 75 all summer... won't my house be the same tempature whether I change my clock or not? Confused

do you not adjust your temps morning and evening?
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2008 10:42 am
No. I leave it the same. If it is a bit chilly, I flip on the gas fireplace for a few minutes, then turn it back off. If it's a bit warm, I start shedding clothing.

Much more fun! Very Happy
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2008 10:45 am
sqinney ;

do you have "money to burn" ? Laughing
hbg
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/18/2024 at 01:43:24