Relatively Normal Things that Make Me Noivous

Roberta

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2008 06:47 am
Under the best of circumstances, I'm not calm. But some things most people don't think about make me nervous.

Houses (yes, private homes) make me nervous. They seem so, well, accessible. Any slob can just walk up and knock on your door or look in the window or sit on your property. Also, wild animals can getcha. I was visiting a friend on Long Island. Thought a bear was on the roof. Nope, acorns were falling off the oak tree. I was visiting relatives upstate. They were out for the evening. Heard a noise outside and thought it was a bear. Locked all the doors and windows. Heard another noise. Figured there were two bears. Then it occurred to me that I was in the house with three very large dogs. Not one of them had moved during my bear panic. I figured that it probably wasn't a bear.

Salamanders and frogs make me nervous. I guess I'm amphibiaphobic.

Sidewalk gratings make nervous. I always try to walk around them Once did my little ballet while my mother was with me. "What are you doing?" she asked. I told her that those things make me nervous. "Well, no wonder," she said. "You fell down one of those damned things when you were about three years old." Who knew?

Electric stoves make me nervous. They seem so, well, unnatural. Hard to pinpoint my discomfort with this.

Is there something seemingly ordinary that makes you nervous? Slightly uncomfortable? A little on edge for no apparent reason? Please share.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 4,843 • Replies: 99
No top replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2008 06:51 am
It makes me nervous to talk about these things that make me nervous.

Joe(brrrrrr)Nation
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2008 07:01 am
Wooden bridges make mumpad nervous.

You know that culunk clunk culunk sound as you go over.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2008 07:56 am
Gee, joe, sorry I brung it up.

dadpad, Trying to remember if I've ever encountered such a bridge. Even if I haven't doesn't mean that I can't be empathatic to Mrs. Pad's aversion to those things. Poor baby.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2008 08:12 am
I'm nervous in complete pitch black darkness, but only if I have to move. I don't think I'd do well as a blind person. Although that would be a challenge, wouldn't it?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2008 08:23 am
Driving under a bridge that has a train resting on it.

Grates in the ground. I avoid those like the plague as well

Teenagers.. driving.

Dogs approaching me

My neighborhood
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2008 08:55 am
grated coconut makes me nervous, and two litre bottles of ginger ale. .
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2008 09:01 am
suspension bridges, particularly the ones with open grates on the road that let you see the water underneath.

Oh, and tunnels that go under waterways.
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2008 09:08 am
Sometimes I feel anxious when the phone rings.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2008 09:25 am
hearing sirens when my kids aren't home. Actually, hearing sirens anytime - they're bad news for someone.
0 Replies

George

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2008 09:55 am
farmerman wrote:
grated coconut makes me nervous, and two litre bottles of ginger ale. .

Coconuts, yes.
Sometimes -- even now -- I can hear the screams of the coconuts.
Ginger Ale -- now you're just being silly.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2008 09:58 am
Being on the streetcar when the driver gets out to change the tracking - especially on the Queen Street bridge, heading down toward King Street.

I always think that the Dead Man Brake will fail and we'll go hurtling into traffic.

Ok - we're on the eleven gazillion ton streetcar - but still.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2008 09:59 am
BBB
Fear of falling in my old age makes me (and my doctor) nervous.

BBB
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2008 09:59 am
Ever since coming so close to being on the freeway during the 1989 Loma Preita earthquake I've had a phobia about being stuck in rush hour traffic under freeway overpasses and will speed up or slow down to avoid it or avoid the freeway during heavy rush hour traffic.

Ever since I saw the movie "The Birds" when I was a kid, I've had an irrational phobia about going anywhere near Bodega Bay. Have never been there still to this day. Driven by it and avoided it by going way around it. The odd thing is that I really enjoy going to the shore or to a landfill to watch the hundreds of sea birds gathering and flying. It has more to do with the town than flocks of birds.
0 Replies

George

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2008 10:00 am
Re: BBB
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
Fear of falling in my old age makes me (and my doctor) nervous.

BBB

That strikes me as a very normal thing to be nervous about.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2008 10:17 am
Butrflynet
Butrflynet wrote:
Ever since coming so close to being on the freeway during the 1989 Loma Preita earthquake I've had a phobia about being stuck in rush hour traffic under freeway overpasses and will speed up or slow down to avoid it or avoid the freeway during heavy rush hour traffic.

Ever since I saw the movie "The Birds" when I was a kid, I've had an irrational phobia about going anywhere near Bodega Bay. Have never been there still to this day. Driven by it and avoided it by going way around it. The odd thing is that I really enjoy going to the shore or to a landfill to watch the hundreds of sea birds gathering and flying. It has more to do with the town than flocks of birds.

Two close friends of mine were on the site of the freeway collapse. The wife on the S.F. Bridge just behind the section collapse. She kicked off her high heels and started running back toward S.F. The husband's car on top of the freeway dropped several feet to the road below (where people died) and he was rescued by firefighters.

Regarding "The Birds." Butrflynet and her brother insisted they wanted to see the film despite my telling them it was not a children's film. They kept pleading to let them attend and I decided to teach them a lesson that they should listen to their mother. After getting through most of the film, they were crying they wanted to leave. I made them stay to the end so they could see the people survive and not be left with the vision of their deaths. They never insisted on seeing an inappropriate film again.

BBB
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2008 11:41 am
Bridges. I have had nightmares about them.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2008 11:50 am
elevators of any shape and size, but particularly glass ones (brrr). Tunnels and subways (the underground parts) - putting blind faith in those who constructed it hundred years ago. I keep wondering when the whole city will just fall through into the subway.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2008 12:03 pm
Some bodies of water. Do you have any idea of the stuff that lives in them? Before you go squishing around barefoot in that muddy bottom, you just might want to check out the size and temperment of a full grown snapping turtle. As kids, we used to swim in a lake in Orlando, Fl - till the day we saw the head of an alligator gar someone had left on the bank. Probably alligators and water moccasins in there, too. When it comes to ugly with an attitude, snapping turtles got nothing on a water moccasin.

Want to hear about salt water vermin? Actually, you probably don't. They're out there, though.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2008 12:11 pm
The Holland Tunnel

The 59th Street Bridge (does it still have the holes in the road big enough that you can see the water underneath?}

Raw clams or oysters

Tandem tractor trailer trucks driving along side of my vehicle.

A phone call anytime past my bedtime.

Black bear footprints in the snow.

Unknown male boot prints in the snow on my property. ( I know every tread for a mile around my place, including the UPS and Fed EX guys}
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Relatively Normal Things that Make Me Noivous
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/19/2024 at 09:57:19