Which author was it who disparaged Mark Twain's writing?

Reply Fri 7 Mar, 2008 11:56 am
Maybe I'm going senile here, but I swear I heard somewhere that there is a quote by some famous author that was very dismissive about Mark Twain's writing, but I can't remember who it was. I can't remember the quote at all either, but I know it was disparaging, and I know it was someone well-respected. I thought it was Vonnegut, but it isn't. I thought it might have been Faulkner, but I can't find anything on the web about that. So I'm at a loss. Who was it? Or Do you know? And if you do, could you help me out here?

Thanks
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,426 • Replies: 14
No top replies

Gargamel

Reply Fri 7 Mar, 2008 11:59 am
I'm thinking it must have been James Patterson or John Grisham. Only one of the greats would have the gall, or the right, to critique Twain.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 7 Mar, 2008 12:02 pm
By clicking here, you can read several brief criticisms with citations of the sources . . . just in case you fail to find the slur upon which your heart was set.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 7 Mar, 2008 12:03 pm
Who the Hell is James Patterson?
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Fri 7 Mar, 2008 12:06 pm
Setanta wrote:

Obviously you're not an intellectual.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 7 Mar, 2008 12:22 pm
BBB
Professor Barrett Wendell is probably the critic you are trying to recall.

BBB
0 Replies

Miklos7

Reply Fri 7 Mar, 2008 12:35 pm
Mark Twain pissed off a number of folks, including some writers, the most famous (then) being Cooper and Howells. Twain did a minute dissection
of Cooper's leatherstocking novels, pointing out errors of fact and logic. I don't know what the beef was with W.D. Howells, an early so-called realist. Both Howells and Cooper sold very well in their time, so Twain was hardly picking on the poor or defenseless.

Twain, because of his generally forward-thinking political views, irritated a few in the South (where he came from)--and elsewhere. But, by 1900, he was literally America's favorite curmudgeon, and his public loved to hear him snipe (often with great accuracy at deserving targets).

I can remember no telling negative remark about Twain's writing. Because Twain was such a sharp wit, he'd be difficult to attack without inviting well-pointed retribution. If someone can find such a remark about Twain, I'd be very interested in what it said--and who said it.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 7 Mar, 2008 12:54 pm
Hmmm...none of those names ring a bell to me regarding this. I think I must be going senile. Either that or the person who told me that is an idiot.

Thanks for the effort though.
0 Replies

tycoon

Reply Fri 7 Mar, 2008 02:08 pm
Twain became quite vocal in his later years about religion. He minced no words in sharing his disgust and disdain for Christianity. That fact alone would earn him the hatred of many of his "peers".

Don't bet on senility yet. It sounds very plausible that he was the target of someone's wrath. That it's been difficult to find out exactly who gives me a bit of satisfaction.
0 Replies

blindsided

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2008 06:28 pm
Gargamel wrote:
Setanta wrote:

Obviously you spend lots of time at Starbucks.
0 Replies

babemomlover

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2008 02:43 pm
Gargamel wrote:
Setanta wrote:

Lord knows you can't be an intellectual without knowing of James Patterson!
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2008 09:11 am
blindsided wrote:
Gargamel wrote:
Setanta wrote:

If by "Starbucks" you mean, "[your] mom's house," then yes, I do spend a lot of time there.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2008 10:54 am
As a joke, Norman Mailer remarked that everything in Huckleberry Finn was obviously lifted from Hemingway.
0 Replies

blindsided

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2008 12:14 am
Gargamel wrote:
blindsided wrote:
Gargamel wrote:
Setanta wrote:

If by "Starbucks" you mean, "[your] mom's house," then yes, I do spend a lot of time there.

The great intellectual is busting out 'your mom' jokes. Laughing
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2008 09:02 am
blindsided wrote:
Gargamel wrote:
blindsided wrote:
Gargamel wrote:
Setanta wrote:

The great intellectual is busting out 'your mom' jokes. Laughing

And what a poignant, scholarly observation that was.

By the way, I had a great time at "Starbucks" last night. The "coffee" was delicious.

Good day, sir.
0 Replies