Is anyone else reading "Charlatan"?

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2008 08:20 pm
I'm only about 60 pages into it and I wish my world would stop so I could just sit down and finish it.

I would love to hear what you think of it -- especially regarding "the dangerous allure of mumbo-jumbo".

Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 822 • Replies: 7
No top replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2008 08:27 pm
I was just reading about the book on a different site, boomer. Sounds very interesting. Let me know if it holds your interest throughout.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2008 08:36 pm
The first chapter is downright dazzling. I confess to having a strange fascination with con men and huksters of all sorts but this guy.... wow.

Not long ago I read "Starvation Heights" and couldn't believe it but this book puts it to shame.

Not only does it seem to be very well researched, it's gossipy fun and well written. An amazing piece of American history.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2008 08:56 pm
If you like that sort of book, boomer, then you can not go wrong with Jack Black's classic "You Can't Win."

One of my all time favorite books
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2008 09:35 pm
Ohhh that looks good. Next time I hit Powell's or place a book order that will be on my list. Thanks!

Funny thing. Reading about it reminded me so much of my dad because we used to say "Dad, what the f***?" and he would reply, no matter the situation "Because that's where the money is."

Willie Sutton was his hero.

All the kids in my family say "That's where the money is" when the answer seems otherwise obvious.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2008 10:17 pm
<sigh> powells.....
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2008 04:54 pm
I forgot that I was going to come back with a book report!

I thought it was absolutely fascinating.
0 Replies

edgar111

Reply Sun 23 Mar, 2008 11:16 pm
sounds great, but i haven't read it yet
0 Replies