The Wuggly Ump (littlek, pick up the white courtesy phone)

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2008 09:16 pm
Tonight I introduced Mo to the Edward Gorey story "The Wuggly Ump".

He thought it was the most splendid story ever.

I would love to read him more Edward Gorey but I realize that they are not really all appropriate for children.

The Wuggly Ump is questionable, even, I guess, despite it's splendidiforousness.

I would love to hear from Edward Gorey fans about what stories they think might be okay for kids.

I have Amphigorey and Amphigorey Too but I'm willing to purchase more.

Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 785 • Replies: 6
No top replies

littlek

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2008 10:00 pm
Hello...? Hellooo...?

Edward Gorey really isn't for little kids. But I have always wished it was. I have 5 little Edward Gorey books (they had a run of them at the remainders section of my local bookstore). Two published after he died with another author (Peter F. Neumeyer) might work well for Mo. "Donald and The ....." is about the cycle of life (housefly larva from the trash can) and "Donald Has a Difficulty" in which Donald has a splinter. I'll look at the others tomorrow or Thursday and see what I see.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2008 10:34 pm
Thank you friend!

I knew you knew your Gorey!

The Wuggly Ump came up in a roundabout way tonight so I read him the story. He loved the story (I agree) and he adored the illustration (I agree) and he was furious that I wouldn't read him the entire book (I'm ... uh.... vexed...)

I flipped through the volumes I have but couldn't come up with anything else right of the bat that I was willing to wade into.

It's interesting how so many stories loved by kids are really quite awful.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2008 04:28 am
Quote:
...and he was furious that I wouldn't read him the entire book

Kids aspire to independent reading for all sorts of reasons.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2008 08:55 am
I don't think I want him into the Gorey all by his lonesome yet. Some of the stories are unsettling.

We have made some progress with "The Bug Book" and "The Doubtful Guest" though, as they are merely macabre-lite.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2008 09:16 am
Here's "The Gashlycrumb Tinies"

http://users.aol.com/emarko/q.html

Might be a bit much, your call.

Have you guys watched "The Addams Family" movies yet? Also a bit much, but within reasonable bounds. Sozlet is wild for them. She thinks Wednesday is the coolest.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2008 09:36 pm
Gorey is a homeboy!

More titles: "The Headless Bust" is ok. It does have a page about dogs that would not wake. I thought that might be hard for you and/or Mo right now. The rest is fine. And "The Haunted Tea Cozy". Both feature a man and a BAHhumbug. And, "The Unstrung Harp" is about an author writing a book.

I browsed these and they seem ok....

("The Iron Tonic is good if you glue the dead orphan pages together.... Confused)
0 Replies