When I was young

fgkee

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2008 07:16 pm
wow, it's so impressive, two years old
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2008 06:24 am
When I was 4, my best friend was Jessie Dare.

He was 94.

If I asked him, he would take his teeth out and let me look inside his mouth.

We had a surprise birthday party for him on his 94th birthday. Even I had a job connected to the festivities.

I was responsible for not telling him.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2008 06:49 am
When I was young, my mothers car was very long and we did not have to wear seat belts.
She would always talk to me about the rules of the road.. and that no matter what, the speed limit was 55. The left lane was for people who were passing someone else and to stay out of it.

My grandmother would give me a dollar for my birthday and a quarter for chores. Chips were 25 cents , sodas 50, and some plastic toys were 10 -15 cents.

I remember women having HUGE hair.

My mom would curl her hair really tight at night and frizz it out every day using so much hair spray I would cough.

Our furnishings were gold and brown and the rich people had white refrigerators. They wore red silk and had houses with a garage.

If you had a two story you were a millionaire. Millionaires would take a cab to work so that they did not have to drive their Cadillac Deville or Fleetwood. Besides, those kinds of cars belonged to people who had retired and worked all their lives to afford them. Anytime I saw a millionaires car, it was driven by an older person. Rich people were old.

I wanted to look rich for kindergarden, so I cried for a pair of jeans with a horse face on them. ( jordache) But we could not afford it.

Picture day was the day to wear your sunday clothes to school and not get dirty. Any other time, you wore play clothes to school.
Rich girls had pony tail holders and black and white shoes.

All of my memories are tainted with the tunes from Soul Train every sunday morning..
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2008 07:31 am
Oh yeah!

SOOOUUULLL TRAIN!
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2008 08:25 am
Chai's post reminded me of when I'd go to visit my grandparents on the farm.

My grandfather had false teeth as well, and had me convinced that I could pull out my own teeth if I just pulled hard enough.

My brother and I didn't know fear. We sat in the hayloft and threw firework snakes down among the pigs. When we ran out of snakes, we just started throwing matches....

At six or seven years old, I climbed the old rickety windmill so that I could throw paper airplanes off.

I got to drive a tractor.

We rode minibikes. I once flew off of a 15-foot retaining wall into three feet of water. Fortunately, it had rained a couple of days previously, or there would only have been a couple of inches in the creek.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2008 08:26 am
dagmaraka wrote:
oh, the fond memories of fallout shelters training! we had those too. our school had its own cement bunker. we also had military exercises, i was pretty good at throwing (rubber) hand grenades (yes, that's what we did in primary school), we were timed to put gas masks on and go hide, carrying wounded comrades and such. it was always a half a day ordeal in the woods somewhere. Fun though. All to be ready for the enemy - you people.

We have met the enemy and they is us.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2008 03:04 pm
drewdad wrote :

Quote:
We rode minibikes. I once flew off of a 15-foot retaining wall into three feet of water. Fortunately, it had rained a couple of days previously, or there would only have been a couple of inches in the creek.

i bet there would have ben a lot more in that creek if it hadn''t rained :wink:
hbg
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2008 06:38 pm
[quote="dagmaraka" (sort of)]

oh, the fond memories of fallout.... i was pretty good at throwing rubber [/quote]

What do you do in case of fallout?

Reinsert and shorten stroke!
0 Replies

plantress

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2008 08:32 am
gross
0 Replies

Jorgi

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2008 10:24 am
http://www.fulah.net/vb/images/smilies/k84line.gif

Quote:
What happened when you were young?

A young person is the opposite of the old person Exclamation

but what do you mean exactly ?!

Do you mean like ( 4-5-6-8,......etc) age or Do you mean like
( 15-16-17-.....etc) age.

When did it become young and when did it become old?
for I can answer to your question.http://www.fulah.net/vb/images/smilies/kaos-hellokitty14.gif
Do you understand me?http://www.fulah.net/vb/images/smilies/hello_kitty_sm_10.gif

Jorgi
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2008 03:10 pm
jorgi :

don't keep me in suspense ... i'm already old and getting older as i am waiting for your explanation . Laughing
hbg
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2008 03:21 pm
Ach, when I was young, we had a pharmacist, we did, who had those same false teeth Chai was talkin' about... well, they weren't the same, noooo, they were his own, they were. We young 'uns would go into the Drug Store and when all his customers had left the shoppe, we'd go up to him, we would, and ask him to clack his teeth and push them in and out. Well, he loved doin' this, he did. I don't quite know why we were so thrilled because on thinkin' aboot it, it really is quite disgustin', it is.

Yes, me and the manager here have been talking in Irish, or is it Scottish, accents all bleedin' morning. I'm gettin' right sick of it, I am, but I can't seem to stop it. I'm like a runaway train. Someone please hit me in the head with a board.
0 Replies

Jorgi

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2008 06:20 pm

I can not understand the meanings of all the words in the subjects ..

Therefore, I always need to ask about the meanings of words before the answer To be able to learn English .

This is not my language, so I don't understand every thing !

But I think I choose the wrong place because there are bad people like you Haburger

I can not understand the meanings of all the words in the subjects ..

This is not my language to understand everything written members !

Therefore, I always need to ask about the meanings of words before the answer to be able to learn English !!!

How many times must that was the same speech?

Tell me ?!!!

maybe I understand the meaning wrong ?

what does it mean young?

when it is start ?!

is it 12 or 15 or or 18 or 20 or 30 or 40 or 50 or 60 ... what exactly ??!!!!

am I young or no ?!

But I think I choose the wrong place because there are some people is bad like you Humbrger

f you are an old man or very old man and significant, according to your supposed to be respectable rational man .

You must be respected and rational !

Your Thinking not must be as teenagers !

You should not thinking as adolescent !

what is this old man?!!!!

where is Manhood if you guys?

where is it ?!!!!

In Our society even boys at the 9 age. his family learned him the respect and manhood with women whatever big or small !

If I was very big or If I was very small, what is important?

I'm here to learning !!!!

Do you know what is the meaning to learning ????!!!!

I do not care about age whatever.

4-5-6-7-8-9-19-20-21-30-40-50-60-70-80-90-100...etc)

Your Thinking should be as mature man !!!

Your Thinking should be as gentle man !

The age not avoid the learning Whatever age!

If you did not know Know. Ok

Where is your jealousy?

please, don't tell anyone you so big Because he will laugh from you!

We must treat adults in the talk !

I am very annoyed

Are we big or children ?!!!

I do not like to talk as this tone but I really astonishment from your talk bad !!!

Unfortunate but I think I will not continue here !

Thanks to just gentle members !!

0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2008 06:31 pm
Calm down, Jorgi! Hamburger was not making fun of you. Since you don't understand English, you must assume that everyone is being nice to you.

"Young" is whatever it means to each person. If you are 15, then "young" might be 3 or 4 or 5 or even 10. If you are 87 years old, then it might mean 40.

It doesn't matter what "young" means to others - what does it mean to YOU?

We were just talking about the way things were, the prices of things, and things like that, in the past, when we were youngER.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2008 07:02 pm
Mame wrote:
Ach, when I was young, we had a pharmacist, we did, who had those same false teeth Chai was talkin' about... well, they weren't the same, noooo, they were his own, they were. We young 'uns would go into the Drug Store and when all his customers had left the shoppe, we'd go up to him, we would, and ask him to clack his teeth and push them in and out. Well, he loved doin' this, he did. I don't quite know why we were so thrilled because on thinkin' aboot it, it really is quite disgustin', it is.

Yes, me and the manager here have been talking in Irish, or is it Scottish, accents all bleedin' morning. I'm gettin' right sick of it, I am, but I can't seem to stop it. I'm like a runaway train. Someone please hit me in the head with a board.

ach, that's a foin tale it tis lass.

It reminds me of a yarn an old friend spun me upon a time...

It seems she was ta be a brides maid at a grand wedding, a catlik weddin it was ta be, ya see...

To be sure, at the rehearsal the noight b'fer, the parish priest, a father O'Connor, do ya know him m'girl?

No matter, he gathered up the young maidens and instructed them as ta the right and proper order they was ta promenade down the aisle, then then, where ta stand, ya folla?

So, he says, says he...."you there Mary Margaret, lookin' so bright, you'll be the foist girl...

and Bridget, so smart ye are....you'll be the second girl....

and Patricia, ya darty girl ya....you'll be our turd girl...."

My friend told me they called Pat "turd girl" for years after.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2008 07:22 pm
Wal now, that was a mighty fine joke ye just told us, Chai... now, you should be askin' your friend's girlfriend if this happened ta her on her weddin' night.

A young couple on their wedding night were in their honeymoon suite. As they were undressing for bed, the husband, a big burly man, tossed his trousers to his new bride and said: "Here, put these on."

She put them on and the waist was twice the size of her body.

"I can't wear your trousers," she said.

"That's right,'' said the husband, "and don't you ever forget it. I'm the one who wears the trousers in this relationship."

With that she flipped him her knickers and said: "Try these on."

He tried them on and found he could only get them on as far as his kneecaps.

"Hell," he said. ''I can't get into your knickers!"

She replied: "That's right... and that's the way it is going to stay until your attitude changes."

Aye, it's an oldie but a goodie.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2008 09:30 pm
Jorgi, you and hamburger misunderstood each other. He is very much a gentleman.

Hamburger probably didn't know that you are learning English. He thought your post was a riddle, and he was waiting for you to explain it. He wasn't making fun of you. He wouldn't do that.

Also, we do not care what age people are. That is not what this thread is about. We are just sharing memories about things we remember from a long time ago. It's just for fun! But also, we are learning a lot about how differently we all grew up. For instance, I have found dagmaraka's memories of growing up in a communist country in eastern Europe fascinating. It was so different than growing up in the U.S. where I did.

Please do not be offended.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2008 09:59 pm
Quote:
But I think I choose the wrong place because there are bad people like you Haburger

Hamburger is NOT a bad man jorgi.
Hamburger is like the father of your father.
We call this "grandfather".

If you get angry with people when you do not understand them it is very bad and can lead to unhappyness... or worse.

Please don't fight.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2008 04:40 am
I can't even figure out what hamburger said that made jorgi angry. Confused

oh well (shrugs)
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2008 04:58 am
When I was young I got angry because I was in the habit of hearing I Love a Mystery just prior to bed time; I was sent to bed early one night, right at a critical point in the Jack, Doc, and Reggie saga. I was so broken hearted.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » When I was young
  3. » Page 3
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 06/16/2024 at 04:14:55