Where are the women?

Chumly

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2008 12:23 am
A hot babe working up a sweat climbing ladders and running / configuring cabling for a new motor control system (and staying in shape due to the process) sounds like a better bet than the same gal staring at a computer screen entering code (and getting a flabby ass in the process).
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2008 01:03 am
There trying to figure this out. No matter what they have tried they can't get the females to do well in HS math and technical sciences such as physics. There is a raging debate about what is the cause, is it the wiring of the female brain or is it cultural??? Girls start out in elementary school being better at this sort of stuff then the boys, but around middle school they switch.

It has been well over a year so i don't remember the source, but some researchers were looking at if there is any difference between females math and technical ability at all girl schools as apposed to mixed. Not that America will ever tolerate again many all boys and all girls schools, but education benefit wise they might be a good idea, it was claimed.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2008 04:51 am
Well, I don't know if she'd be considered a "babe" in your book - but I've always thought Mia Hamm is/was (I haven't seen a picture of her in years- much less watched her play) extremely attractive: beautiful face, very naturally fit and well-proportioned body (that's my definition of a babe- as I have no other interest or agenda except to observe).

Anyway - everytime I did watch her play, I'd think to myself - "Wow- what a package. She's pretty AND so athletically strong, competent and talented. Smart too".

I used to think if I were a guy - that's the kind of girl I'd get excited about. It's interesting to see people defy your expectations. And looking at her - you'd think she'd be working in a library somewhere or something - not out there playing world-class soccer.

And I don't mean just because she's a woman - you see woman jocks all the time - but she just kind of defied the female jock stereotype and that made her more interesting to me.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2008 06:40 am
Women's lib happened so that women could decide whether or not they wanted to be doctors, engineers, Hooter's girls or President.

The occupation is irrelevant. It's the right to choose that matters.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2008 06:57 am
Bella Dea wrote:
Women's lib happened so that women could decide whether or not they wanted to be doctors, engineers, Hooter's girls or President.

The occupation is irrelevant. It's the right to choose that matters.

That was the stated goal at the time, but we have experienced mission creep. Now if women don't make up a substantial share of the careers that the feminists think they should, and don't make as much money as the guys, then the struggle is not over.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2008 08:16 am
Chumly wrote:
Since you agree, tour a diesel engine manufacturer, pulp mill, steel mill, aerospace firm (that's me) and find the female industrial electricians (or equivalent such as millwright) let alone the question of them being a "babe" (which does indeed go to part of my argument).

Maybe women are smarter than men, and go for the jobs with less chance of discomfort and/or physical injury.

Chumly wrote:
I doubt your success, and my 30 years of being in the trade substantive empiricism.

Um... no, that would un-substantive subjectivism.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2008 08:19 am
Chumly wrote:
A hot babe working up a sweat climbing ladders and running / configuring cabling for a new motor control system (and staying in shape due to the process) sounds like a better bet than the same gal staring at a computer screen entering code (and getting a flabby ass in the process).

Plenty of time for the stairmaster, without getting dust from ceiling tiles in her eyes....

I maintain the theory that women are just smarter.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2008 09:27 am
Chumly wrote:
Maybe a more fun question might be to ask why the sexier females most often don't go jobs demanding dirt under their finger nails.

Sometimes, you say the most incredibly stupid things.

In the first place, what one man considers a "babe" will not necessarily be what every other man considers a "babe." In the second place, being a "babe" involves hairstyle, make-up, clothing--do you really expect that a woman who is also an auto mechanic is going to get up a couple of hours early to spend that time on hairstyle, make-up and clothing on the off chance that Chumly will walk by and say to himself: "Wow, what a babe!"? Jesus Christ . . .

There is, in Columbus, Ohio, a company called Alternative Auto Care--it is a business owned by women, who employ women. I suspect that you wouldn't consider any of them babes, but then, they would give a tinker's damn if you did. They have no good reason to make-up or dress-up in order to get their hands dirty on your engine block.

I was pulling cable into a telephone closet in a hospital once, and marking the bundles off with coding tape so they could be properly spliced once we hung the terminal box. The door opened and a woman came in wearing a telephone company badge. She was, i would say, in her late twenties, just below the medium height, slim, with a generous bust, and was wearing a common white "t-shirt" and a lovely white lace bra, which could easily be seen through the t-shirt. I had actually finished marking the cables with the coding tape, but i suddenly decided that it would be best to hang bridle rings above the drop ceiling to hold the cable from the conduit to the location where we would mount the terminal box. That meant, of course, that i had to stay around in the closet while she did her thing with the pairs in the telephone cabinet. She is probably what even you would call a babe. But you can bet your ass that she got a job as a skilled technician because of her knowledge and experience--despite the appearance, the phone company wants people who know what they are doing.

Do you spend an hour each night thinking up stupid ****, or does this just come naturally to you?
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2008 06:53 pm
DrewDad wrote:
Chumly wrote:
Since you agree, tour a diesel engine manufacturer, pulp mill, steel mill, aerospace firm (that's me) and find the female industrial electricians (or equivalent such as millwright) let alone the question of them being a "babe" (which does indeed go to part of my argument).
Maybe women are smarter than men, and go for the jobs with less chance of discomfort and/or physical injury.
Are you willing to make the claim that there is a correlation between higher risk activities and lower IQ levels? If so how do you intend to support this?
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2008 09:49 pm
When it comes to risk-taking, it often seems that testosterone has an intelligence-lowering effect. :wink:
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2008 09:58 pm
Beauty Secret: The Dangers of Cosmetics

Every minute of every day, somewhere in the world, most often in a developing nation, a woman dies from complications related to pregnancy or childbirth.

Smile
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2008 10:40 pm
You're right about cosmetics, of course. Women have their own brand of idiocy, just as men do. When it comes to fashion, for instance, I'm not sure whether pantyhose or neckties make less sense. Laughing

Don't lump childbearing in there with stupid decisions, though! Fortunately for the human race, we've considered the pros & cons and decided it's worth it.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2008 10:45 pm
Chumly wrote:
Well nothing has happened in 30 plus years (actually much longer but you get the idea) in terms of industrial electricians / millwrights and I have this feeling (as shared by aiden) that it's not going to happen.

If it did happen (as I mentioned to aiden) I would really like it because it would decrease the physical demands of the job and force everyone to rely more on modern techniques, tools, training and teamwork.

Believe me, being an industrial electrician or millwright is nothing like being a landscaper or carpenter or some such popular domestic trade.

Laughing unfortunately, you main witness aidan is not a female, but a male who has been posing on a2k as female by his own admission.

....but carry on... it's mildly entertaining.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2008 10:53 pm
When is a woman a woman, when she calls herself one, or when others believe she is one.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2008 10:54 pm
you tell me.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2008 11:05 pm
I am buying a bread maker on-line.

Home-making was/is a traditionally female endeavor.

How does my potential ownership of a high-tech product for a traditionally female endeavor affect your perception of me as it relates to the sexual inferences implicit in the Turing Test?

Do you feel the fact that the one I want (Panasonic YeastPro Automatic Bread Maker) being only available in the US suggests a dominant or submissive desire being that I am Canadian?
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2008 11:06 pm
Gadgets don't make ya a girl...

Cool
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2008 11:10 pm
Sometimes its hard to be a woman
Giving all your love to just one bread maker
You'll have bad times
And the bread maker'll have good times
Doing things that you don't understand

Stand by your bread maker
Give it two arms to cling to
And something warm to come to
When nights are cold and lonely

Stand by your bread maker
And tell the world you love it
Keep giving all the love you can
Stand by your bread maker........
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/10/2024 at 04:25:53