Bad Day...Family Death

Reply Wed 27 Feb, 2008 04:10 pm
a relative committed suicide in a most gruesome way and more than anything else my overriding feeling is that they were so inconsiderate to leave behind such a horrible mess for loved ones to clean up.

I feel like I should be grief stricken for a relative I liked and wonder why I'm
more annoyed by how they did what they did than sad for the loss.

Defense mechanism I suppose.

Some days just suck.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,279 • Replies: 55
No top replies

Rockhead

Reply Wed 27 Feb, 2008 04:12 pm
Hey bear, thoughts with you, man.

RH
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 27 Feb, 2008 04:16 pm
Sorry to hear that, Bear.

I know what you mean.

If I were ever to kill myself I would do my best to leave minimal clean-up, and make sure it wasn't someone who cared about me who found me.

I guess sometimes people are not at their most rational when they do it, though.

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((Bear)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Wed 27 Feb, 2008 04:25 pm
Bear, I would have the same feelings of unbelief at the thoughtlessness of the person committing suicide.

I realize that many suicides are not thinking rationally, but there are enough who do commit suicide who also try to make as easy as possble on the relatives left behind, to make me believe that this person was basically insensitive.

My heart goes out to you.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 27 Feb, 2008 04:26 pm
actually this was a very nice person... giving and a joy to be around...
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 27 Feb, 2008 04:28 pm
I will keep you and your family in my prayers and thoughts.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Wed 27 Feb, 2008 04:28 pm
I'm sorry, Bear--I really feel for you. It was just a year ago that my husband's dad killed himself, also in a very gruesome way. It's a very weird, disorienting thing to go through.

I'm still so angry with him at what he did to his sons and his wife that I have a hard time feeling sadness at him being gone--it turns into anger as soon as I think about it... When you're less close to the one who did it and closer to the survivors who are left to deal with the pain, it's very hard to get past being mad about how incredibly selfish it was to inflict this on everyone else. At least, that's the way it's shaken out in our situation, anyway--the in-laws are too mad to forgive, the close blood relatives are too sad to be mad at him. And I know it's not a very fair to be mad at someone who was basically out of their mind, but jesus is it hard to forgive this kind of hurt...
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 27 Feb, 2008 04:40 pm
I've been there, Bear. My father committed suicide in 1990 when his health situation became more than he could handle. We were left to clean up, both literally and figuratively.

Believe me when I say...I understand the anger. Yes, it does feel as though someone dumped their shitload of garbage on your doorstep to deal with. It took me years to get over the anger because I felt guilty about being angry. I may not be totally over it yet. It might not have taken me so long had I been willing to admit I was angry, and if I had known it was a perfectly normal reaction.

So go ahead and yell. Scream if you want to. Throw things. It's OK.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 27 Feb, 2008 04:41 pm
My thoughts are with you, bear. I definitely understand the anger.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 27 Feb, 2008 04:43 pm
the problem is I'm not really that angry... I'm turned off by the bad form... but I don't have any strong feelings one way or another... I feel like I should have a strong feeling but i don't.... I'm not really close to my family although I did like this particular person quite well...

I'm trying to work through why I don't feel worse than I do when I should....
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 27 Feb, 2008 04:44 pm
shock, maybe?
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 27 Feb, 2008 04:49 pm
Forget the "should"s...

You feel what you feel. Or don't. There is no right or wrong way to feel.

It just is.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 27 Feb, 2008 04:51 pm
Does your lack of emotional response make you think that you are more Jaded then you realized? Maybe it has gone deeper then you realized?
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 27 Feb, 2008 04:51 pm
believe me I'm well aware of how jaded I am.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 27 Feb, 2008 04:53 pm
Bear
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<Bear>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

BBB
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 27 Feb, 2008 04:59 pm
I'd say shock. Our brains insulate us against stuff we're not ready to deal with yet.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 27 Feb, 2008 08:20 pm
Well, I can understand the shock alright - I was shocked just reading it. I think suicide always affects me this way. Not that I disagree with it. Just the part that's so disturbing to Bear... it would have been more considerate if he had gone somewhere by himself where he would be found by a stranger later. Sad, at any rate, for the family.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 27 Feb, 2008 08:34 pm
it was a she...
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 27 Feb, 2008 08:42 pm
I hope she didn't do it because you told her I was coming to town.

But, seriously, Bear, you have my condolences.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 27 Feb, 2008 08:42 pm
I have dealt with suicides before. In every case, they were inconsiderate of others. I don' judge one for taking that option. Just wish they would consider ways to make it easier on the rest of us.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Bad Day...Family Death
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/15/2024 at 04:43:05