Does bad music exist?

Reply Wed 27 Feb, 2008 09:34 am
I was recently having a bit of a debate with my flatmate.

Does bad music exist or not?
I can't see that it does.
Maybe it's just me, as it's my nature to be insipid and flex to other people's stances.........
I was wondering what other people may think.

My argument was that everyone has tastes and preferences-
In the 'intellectual' world, music is appreciated which holds meaning, is influential, is mature, is sung or performed well, etc etc.
This would class anything which does not conform to these premises as 'bad' music.

I maintained that these are just a set of values, and that anything which conforms to them is merely matching a set of criteria which we deem as 'good.'
He said that he could see my point, and that there are certainly different sets of criteria which different people value, but this set of criteria was what made music 'good'.

Obviously I argued back that this was just his opinion, and even if it was more widespread, or a social trend in musical appreciation, this doesn't make it objective.
My bottom line was that a piece of music, or a piece of sound cannot be seen as better or worse than another piece of sound, and his list of criteria is just extending the issue.
Sets of preferences cannot be judged over one another.

But then I know how I am, and this is just another example of the vagueness in my personality, which seems to creep into most areas of my life. I don't believe in objectiveness in general, in taste, in morals, in any form of absolute.....
Which is why I am interested to see what people think.
I hate Andrew Lloyd-Webber.
It would make my day if I could objectively prove how crap he is.

pq xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,545 • Replies: 19
No top replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 27 Feb, 2008 11:20 am
what does 'bad' mean?

we can only evaluate things on the basis of comparisons, and we set subjective standards for those. if everything was relative, there would be no good or bad anything, there would be no right and wrong, and there would be no moral and immoral. i wouldn't want to live in a world like that.

so yes, i think bad music does exist, and it is subjective.
(i know i can certainly produce some godawful music if i tried)
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 27 Feb, 2008 11:36 am
I guess bad music is music that is performed badly. Like me on a piano. I can't play the piano so my music would be bad. Very Happy
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 27 Feb, 2008 11:42 am
If you ever heard me sing, you would never question that. Believe me bad music does exist.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Wed 27 Feb, 2008 05:20 pm
I have a definitional problem with terming music bad, on two fronts

a) It's a completely personal distinction and cannot be reliably transferred from person to person - or even from the same person in different contexts and times.

b) Bad is the wrong word. I much prefer 'Music I don't like' 'Music that annoys and nauseates me', and 'derivative trash'.

And the silly thing is sometimes I like listening to 'bad' music. Honey by Bobby Goldsboro is appallingly gormless sacharrin sweet confection. Makes laugh every time I hear it - fantastic.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 27 Feb, 2008 05:35 pm
Re: Does bad music exist?
The Pentacle Queen wrote:

Does bad music exist or not?
I can't see that it does.
pq xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

You've apparently never heard William Shatner singing "Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds":

Shatner & Lucy
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Wed 27 Feb, 2008 05:45 pm
Some times we call music bad because we don't like the people who like it (or at least we do not respect their musical taste). Andrew Lloyd Webber fans, for example.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Wed 27 Feb, 2008 05:47 pm
I like Shatner's work - it makes me smile, I wouldn't call it music though - more like a poetry reading mashup. His version of Pulp's 'Common People' is ace. ish.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 27 Feb, 2008 05:53 pm
This is for ShatnerYAAMA BHUUTZ
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 27 Feb, 2008 06:05 pm
eoe wrote:
I guess bad music is music that is performed badly. Like me on a piano. I can't play the piano so my music would be bad. Very Happy

I think this goes to the heart of the matter. If the performers lack virtuosity, than the music which they perform could reasonably be said to be "bad." That would be something which wouldn't simply be a matter of taste.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Wed 27 Feb, 2008 06:35 pm
Setanta wrote:
eoe wrote:

I think this goes to the heart of the matter. If the performers lack virtuosity, than the music which they perform could reasonably be said to be "bad." That would be something which wouldn't simply be a matter of taste.

Virtuosity neither contributes nor detracts from music's goodness or badness in absolute terms, IMO.

For example jazz prides itself on being the musicians language but some of it just leaves me cold. On the other hand punk prides itself on being non-musical and some of it can be very powerful.

And where does the Thai Elephant Orchestra fit in?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 27 Feb, 2008 07:22 pm
Punk musicians who don't perform to the expectations of those who are fond of the idiom can be said to be "bad" punk musicians. Jazz musicians usually (and i am no fan of jazz either) perform to a very high standard of performance virtuosity--and once again, it they didn't they would not long have a career.

"Musical" elephants can reasonably be described as a novelty, and hardly a basis from which to extrapolate general statements about the value of music.

I realize that the authoress of this thread is referring to musical genres, rather than specific performers. My remark, however, simply responded to EOE's, taking note of the, to my mind, undeniable truth that bad performers make for bad music.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 27 Feb, 2008 07:38 pm
yes... believe it.
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Wed 27 Feb, 2008 08:11 pm
Yeppur! There's some real honkers out there.

I particularly liked Spiro Agnew's "Challenge to the Hippies" John Wayne's album (Vinyl of course). and Foster Brooks Sings.

But then Dr Dimento make a star out of Weird Al Yankovich to keep him from becoming a bad architect.

Rap
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Wed 27 Feb, 2008 08:43 pm
Setanta wrote:
undeniable truth that bad performers make for bad music.

But Set, we're back to the same point. The judgement of who is a bad performer is just as personal as the one about what is bad music.

And the elephant's make a good point - they're not even musicians but some of the music is quite good, in my opinion.

So back to my answer to queenie. Bad is in the eye of the beholder - there is no universally bad music. In my opinion.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 27 Feb, 2008 10:20 pm
Bad music = Rap
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Thu 28 Feb, 2008 08:10 am
Sorry, dagmaraka, I'm going to pick you apart here:

dagmaraka wrote:
what does 'bad' mean?

we can only evaluate things on the basis of comparisons, and we set subjective standards for those. if everything was relative, there would be no good or bad anything, there would be no right and wrong, and there would be no moral and immoral. i wouldn't want to live in a world like that.

so yes, i think bad music does exist, and it is subjective.
(i know i can certainly produce some godawful music if i tried)

I agree that we can only evaluate things on the basis of comparisons, all of which are subjective, and also relative to a persons experiences/tastes etc.
Could you explain how 'bad' music objectively exists if it is subjective? Do you mean that everyone has music they class as bad, and collectively this is classed as bad music subjectively- even though it would overlap with good music if looked at objectively.
IMO, your conclusion arrises from your personal preference to believe in absolutes. It's the way your brain likes to function. Can subjective absolutes exist?

Normally, things that exist can be defined, or rather are defined by humanity in order to understand them.
I suppose that my presumption with this post is that things that can be accurately defined don't exist. But perhaps they do exist, and my denial of their existences just my way of understanding them.
What do you think?

You say you could make some godawful music.
What happens if I loved your music? Would it be 'awful' then? Maybe our conception of awful is pre-conceived because of our conditioning.
I like the White Stripes- yet I'm well aware that Meg White's drumming is 'awful.' It doesn't stop me liking it though- in fact, the clumsiness of the white stripes is what draws me to them.
The only way we can truly rate how successful something is by how well it conforms to it's intentions. Yet, some great things have been created that haven't conformed to the intentions of the author at all.

I'm agreeing with hingehead for now. But I'll give money to anyone who can convince me otherwise.
Pq xxxxxxxxxxxxx
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 28 Feb, 2008 09:37 am
The Pentacle Queen wrote:
I like the White Stripes- yet I'm well aware that Meg White's drumming is 'awful.' It doesn't stop me liking it though- in fact, the clumsiness of the white stripes is what draws me to them.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 28 Feb, 2008 04:16 pm
eoe wrote:
she looked fabulous

I think you've touched on an important point her. Context. Sometimes the seed of liking something has nothing to do with the music of itself.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 1 May, 2014 10:52 am
http://s3-ec.buzzfed.com/static/enhanced/webdr05/2013/4/25/11/enhanced-buzz-9545-1366902854-10.jpg

12 Jokes Made Up By Kids That Will Make You Smile
http://www.buzzfeed.com/samjparker/kids-jokes-made-up-funny
0 Replies