I still got it – do you?

Linkat

Reply Tue 26 Feb, 2008 11:40 am
My daughter pulled out one of her more recent prizes from school. It was (not sure the official name), but it has a ring that goes around your ankle, attached to the ring is a rope with a ball-like thingy at the end. Once the ring is around your ankle, you grasp the ball thingy and swing it around - you use your ankle to keep it revolving around your legs as you jump over the rope. I had one like this as a girl, but it had a big plastic bell shaped with a small bell in the middle at the end of the rope.

Any way she invited me to a contest to see who could do more jumps. The first round - she 20 something, me an amazing 80! She was awestruck. Of course, her competitive spirit caught on and she decided she would try to outdo me. She tried again - I went to do some laundry and she claimed she did 100. My husband said - hey you stopped several times! Well I couldn't let her out do me. I picked the damn thing up and I did a 100! She then claimed she actually had a 102. Well I let her think she won - but I did! I still have it!

Do you still have your childhood talents - please share!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 699 • Replies: 19
No top replies

Joe Nation

Reply Tue 26 Feb, 2008 12:03 pm
My brother, Mike, who turned out to be a pretty good pitcher, and I were mad about horseshoes. We played for hours at Valley Street Playground taking on all comers.
We used a straight roll of exactly one rotation to hit ringer after ringer. I forget our records but I know, at age 10, I could pile all twelve of the shoes the park had around the stake in one direction and then do it again in the other.

Years went by, I hadn't touched a shoe, hadn't thought about the game for two decades, but I was at a backyard barbecue and someone asked me to partner.

I took three warm-ups and hit two ringers.
I hit the next eight in a row and suddenly no one wanted to play.

Joe(I should have suckered them into betting a buck a point)Nation
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 26 Feb, 2008 12:19 pm
Throughout my childhood, I was known as "Dead Eye Chai"

Oh yeah, I still got it.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 26 Feb, 2008 12:25 pm
as child I was able to rub even the most patient person the wrong way in short order.... I still got it...
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 26 Feb, 2008 12:47 pm
I can still spread my toes.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 26 Feb, 2008 01:47 pm
What a talented bunch I say!
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Tue 26 Feb, 2008 02:36 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
I can still spread my toes.

i can do that. I still have double jointed fingers, too. And I think I can still hit high C. (Can't prove that one though.)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 26 Feb, 2008 02:44 pm
High C, wow!!

I lost it. (I bowled an almost perfect game once. Got a hole-in-one at Rancho Park pitch and putt course; well, that was after missing the ball entirely with the first swing). Any faint traces of athleticism have gone whoosh.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 26 Feb, 2008 02:54 pm
I have no idea whether I'm still good at some of my childhood games. Don't get to bounce a ball or play potsy anymore. I was good at those. Also very good a jump rope and jacks.

However, I can still wiggle my ears--enough so that my glasses bounce up and down.
0 Replies

plantress

Reply Tue 26 Feb, 2008 05:15 pm
that thing is called skip-it
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 26 Feb, 2008 10:23 pm
I don't know if I've still got it or not. I've been wanting to go roller skating. My knees are a whole lot weaker than they were the last time I rolled on four wheels but...I may have to give it a shot.
Thinking about renting a rink for my birthday. Shocked Very Happy
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 26 Feb, 2008 10:51 pm
I can still attract women many years my junior... I'm not intereseted.... but I've still got it...thank goc for liquor...
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 27 Feb, 2008 07:55 pm
What are the rules of Potsey?

Joe(is there a square drawn on the pavement?)Nation
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 27 Feb, 2008 10:56 pm
Joe Nation wrote:
What are the rules of Potsey?

Joe(is there a square drawn on the pavement?)Nation

Potsy is a kind of hopscotch. No hopping, though. The squares to be stepped in are largely based on the city sidewalk squares, so the three and six boxes are very large.

I tried to find an image of a potsy game drawn on the sidewalk for you, but all I found in the image department was a bunch of pix of Anson Williams from Happy Days, and some dogs named Potsy.

You want the rules. If you don't know the rules of hopscotch, it might be easier for us to meet. I'll draw the potsy squares on the sidewalk, and we'll play a game. (If this were to take place, some handicapping would be involved. You ran a marathon; I need to hold onto something to walk up steps. So jumping will be out for me--and dem threes and sixes are killers.)

Here's a game of hopscotch:

http://www.gonomad.com/globalroam/uploaded_images/Quang%20playing%20Hopscotch-743496.jpg

Wussy-sized boxes. Where's the challenge? Now this I might actually be able to do.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 27 Feb, 2008 11:27 pm
Hopscotch, key game in my Chicago town, then.

It has a certain icon-icity.

A friend of mine had a neat house by an architect who was a disciple of whomever. That architect had a nifty tract in west LA. Some of the walls in the houses were moveable...

She had added an airplane model as the front door handle, and a hopscotch sidewalk...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 27 Feb, 2008 11:37 pm
I'm reasonably inventive but I'm not sure I'd have had the level of play she had, re her house. She played with mosaics, drip painting, lots of stuff, and it still all fit. Except maybe the main fascia board, I had a problem with that.

Being chartreuse.

well, I did for a few seconds, but it, too, fit, an edge choice, given the original designers.

I suppose the house has changed again, but I've pictures at a point in time.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 28 Feb, 2008 12:16 am
What - that is to say there are various ways of getting it.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 28 Feb, 2008 05:22 am
Roberta wrote:
You want the rules. If you don't know the rules of hopscotch, it might be easier for us to meet. I'll draw the potsy squares on the sidewalk, and we'll play a game. (If this were to take place, some handicapping would be involved. You ran a marathon; I need to hold onto something to walk up steps. So jumping will be out for me--and dem threes and sixes are killers.)

Joe, If you really truly want the rules, I'll write them for you.

Ro(feeling bad I phumphered on the rules)berta
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 28 Feb, 2008 05:27 am
I was just wondering if it was the same game we played on the asphalt fields of Lincoln Grammar School.

Four square? A ball? One bounce and a batback?
No poundies?

Joe(it's all in the mist)Nation
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 28 Feb, 2008 05:39 am
Joe Nation wrote:
I was just wondering if it was the same game we played on the asphalt fields of Lincoln Grammar School.

Four square? A ball? One bounce and a batback?
No poundies?

Joe(it's all in the mist)Nation

Not even close. No ball. No bounce. What's a batback? What's a poundie?
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » I still got it – do you?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/04/2024 at 09:25:06