Does anyone have phases like this?

Reply Mon 25 Feb, 2008 09:19 am
I'm a music student, but atm I never listen to music.
When I was 15 i used to listen all the time, It used to be exiting- but all thats kind of drained from me now. I don't get exited about anything.
The musical world is so saturated- it used to excite me more when I had ideas that I found original. Now I know so much I feel that nothing is new, nothing is exiting, nothing is original.
It's like I've found out how a magic trick works, and now the amazement has gone.

I'm not worried about my degree- I still find the social/art side really interesting, and next year I can choose more of these modules and no practical ones. I just wondered why I'm going through this phase.
It's been suggested that I just haven't found the right genre for me.
I don't know.
Has anyone else ever felt this way?
Pq xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 727 • Replies: 6
No top replies

contrex

Reply Mon 25 Feb, 2008 10:41 am
It's normal. Your tastes are developing and you are not so easily hooked as you once were. Think yourself lucky. This only happens to people with taste.

Some things only get better with acquaintance. I have loved Mozart for 40 years.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 25 Feb, 2008 10:45 am
Maybe instead of paying too much attention to how the music works, just sit back and enjoy it.

I've always wondered that about people who have advanced music degrees...do you start thinking about the technical side of songs everytime you hear them?
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Mon 25 Feb, 2008 11:19 am
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
I've always wondered about people who have advanced music degrees...do you start thinking about the technical side of songs everytime you hear them?

Not every time; just when we choose to. Like anything else, it depends on our mood.
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Mon 25 Feb, 2008 11:02 pm
Re: Does anyone have phases like this?
The Pentacle Queen wrote:
Now I know so much I feel that nothing is new, nothing is exiting, nothing is original.
It's like I've found out how a magic trick works, and now the amazement has gone.

While I take great pleasure in originality when I encounter it, I also think there is some pleasure to be had in music (or any art) that is not necessarily trying to be pathbreakingly new but is, instead, trying to do something fresh with preexisting conventions. Reinventing the concept of art with every work has its merit, don't get me wrong, but so too, I think, does the ability to exercise originality within "constraints." I don't think Shakespeare's sonnets suffer because they conform to a preset rhyme and metrical scheme; quite the contrary, they are all the more impressive for showing how much one can do within a set of conventions. I liken it to playing Monopoly with an unlimited bank: it's easier to win, but it robs the the victory of its meaning. The truly impressive victory comes when someone stays within the confines of the rules and still comes out on top.
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Wed 27 Feb, 2008 09:35 am
Shapeless, would you mind if I PM-ed you about this?
xxxxx
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Wed 27 Feb, 2008 08:00 pm
PQ... I sent you a PM earlier today, but I can't quite tell if I did it correctly. (I can't find a definitive indication when the message was sent, which always worries me.) Anyway, yes, feel free to send me a message.
0 Replies