Look what they've done to my jeans, Ma.

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2008 07:37 pm
So I finally have a new computer and can type and fun stuff like that so I thought I would introduce the earth shaking topic of blue jeans.

I love jeans. I live in jeans. I admit I'm a little picky about jeans: straight leg preferred, stovepipe is heaven, but will settle for boot cut, must sit just below my belly button, I don't want to have to roll them up and I don't want them to be highwaters. Not stiff, not factory "worn".

For years I bought my jeans at the Gap -- loved them until they quit making the jeans I loved. Switched to Old Navy -- loved them until they quit making the jeans I loved. Switched to Ralph Lauren "Saturday Jeans" -- loved them.....

And today I discovered that they quit making them.

Today I wandered blindly through the mall looking for jeans.

Holy crap.

Jeans are like $200 now. In addition they have all this fancy crap sewn on the pockets! What the hell? I mean.... I have a pretty nice ass but I don't want frikken decals all over it. And I don't want demin that is so stiff it scratches every part of my lower body. What is this!!? The '70s? Next am I going to need pliers to zip my jeans and will there be zippers at the ankles? Will I have to spray the knee backs with water to move? Can I start doing cocaine?

Anyway.

I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore unless I can find some jeans that aren't totally Studio 54.

My question: what kind of jeans do you wear and why?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,996 • Replies: 41
No top replies

roger

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2008 07:45 pm
$200.00? Sounds like a lot

unless they already have holes in the knees, of course.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2008 07:49 pm
I wear relaxed fit jeans, about $10 pair. Don't recall manufacturer. As a young man, I used to wonder why James Cagney wore such loose fitting trousers. Now that I am older, I know. Snug jeans are restrictive on these old legs. I love the freedom relaxed fit brings.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2008 07:50 pm
Re: Look what they've done to my jeans, Ma.
boomerang wrote:
I love jeans.

Is Mr. Boomer aware of your divided loyalties? How does he feel about all of this?

Quote:

My question: what kind of jeans do you wear and why?

I get mine from LL Bean. They are the only place I've found on-line that regularly sells them in my size and they are a nice heayweight denim. I never spend more than $30 on a pair though. I'm cheap. Embarrassed
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2008 07:52 pm
what the hell kind of jeans cost $200.00?

I hate jeans, always have.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2008 07:53 pm
Any chance you'll look at posts in your time of being away?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2008 07:54 pm
Do you have a shirt that you really love,
One that you feel so groovy in ?
You don't even mind if it starts to fade,
That only makes it nicer still.

I love my shirt, I love my shirt,
My shirt is so comfortably lovely.
My shirt is so comfortably lovely.

Do you have some jeans that you really love,
Ones that you feel so groovy in ?
You don't even mind if they start to fray
That only makes them nicer still.

I love my jeans, I love my jeans,
My jeans are so comfortably lovely.

When I take them to the cleaners,
I just can't wait to get them home again.
Yes, I take 'em to the cleaners
I'd rather wash them in a stream,
I'd rather wash them in a stream,
You know what i mean?

Do you have some shoes that you really love,
Ones that you feel so flash in ?
You don't even mind if they start to get some holes in
That only makes them nicer still.

I love my shoes, I love my shoes,
My shoes are so comfortably lovely.
In fact I love my wardrobe.

-- Donovan Leitch
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2008 08:11 pm
I like Levis the best!
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2008 08:11 pm
you can still get levis or wranglers for 30.00. the 527 "Skinny" levis are about 40.00 that's what I wear because the low rise and skinny legs are best for my body type..... but for working or just everyday farting around the regular old levis are what I like.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2008 08:14 pm
Mr. B knows I am fickle and mercurial. But my loves, like him, and Mo and jeans, are written in stone. He can live with my irresponsiblility.

A LOT of jeans cost $150 - $200 it seems. I couldn't believe it! I typically buy my jeans at Value Village -- the Saturday jeans were a big splurge at around $50 per pair.

I'm completely lost as to what I will do for "dress up" jeans now.

No, Osso.... I've kept up a tiny bit but not much. Did I miss something important? PM me if there is something I should know, please.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2008 08:16 pm
What do I want in a jean? Low-rise and boot cut. This isn't so hard, but I am getting wider and not taller, so sizing can be difficult. And I prefer NON stretch jeans and they are harder to find than a salmon in a school of tuna.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2008 08:19 pm
I hate Levis. They tend to fit at the seat instead of the waist, and the legs are cut funny. Almost impossible to line up the seams before folding. I favor Lee when I want all cotton; otherwise, mostly Penneys or LL Bean. I've got a pair of Cool-Max jeans from Bean. They should be great for hot weather, but we seem a ways from having any of that.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2008 08:44 pm
I suffer from a chronic case of noassatall so none of my jeans fit well in the seat unless I take them to the tailor, and since my rockstar days are behind me I don't have to do that anymore.
0 Replies

caribou

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2008 10:24 pm
ralph lauren jeans, the ones I love they don't make any more...(got'em cheap at bj's too)

Lucky jeans. I had found some at the goodwill, but I treated myself to a new pair a year or so ago. The saleperson helped me find the right fit. Oh, I love them.

Really I only have two pairs of jeans that I even like to wear right now.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2008 10:29 pm
I love Steilmann jeans. Can't afford them at regular retail, so I search the resale stores for them. I want fine fine fabric.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2008 02:41 am
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=lqGkW-gys_w
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2008 10:10 am
Levi's have never fit me right so I haven't bothered to try on any for years. Maybe they've changed. I'll take a look!

Steilman? Lucky? I've never even heard of those brands. Maybe I'll try a resale store instead of Value Villiage.

LL Bean is a good idea but I hate that you can't try them on first. I hate shopping, especially trying on but jeans are one of those things that require a try-on when they quit making the style you can grab and go with.

I don't really like stretch jeans either, littlek. After a couple of hours of stretching they don't fit anymore!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2008 10:20 am
Ralph Lauren Saturday jeans, me too! I've never seen them discussed anywhere else.

The main jeans I wear are Eddie Bauer. <shrug> Their styles run the gamut -- some real mom jeans (high waisted and generally 80's) but they have some surprisingly cool ones too. The cool ones seem to often be on sale, perhaps because people looking for cool jeans wouldn't think to look at Eddie Bauer. The ones I'm wearing now were like $30.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2008 10:29 am
One time while in a beach town in California, I came across a young homeless woman. Her jeans were torn to shreds, her shirt was barely clinging to her shoulders, and she carried everything she owned in a bag.

Normally I don't pay much attention to homeless people unless they have found a creative way to panhandle. But there was something about this young lady, not sure what it was...

Perhaps it was the brand of jeans she was wearing?

?

?

?

?

?

?

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k51/cjhsa/homeless.jpg
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2008 10:35 am
My jeans selection process is simple.
Every so often The Lovely Bride says:
"Those jeans are ratty. I bought you new ones."

I think the current ones are from Land's End.
They're starting to look ratty.

...and speaking of decals on one's ass, why do so many gals at the gym
have "PINK" written across the seat of their sweat pants? But I digress.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Look what they've done to my jeans, Ma.
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/19/2024 at 09:57:55