recession questions

OGIONIK

Reply Fri 8 Feb, 2008 02:37 pm
if our economy gets messed up bad enough, will the united states be in danger of collapsing?

if money lose all value , we wont have any police, military, they wont work for free.(obviously)

What is gonna keep the dollar viable? it might sound like i dont trust the us gov't, i dont. i just want to know if i start putting money places its gonna be there when i want to take it out.

The only real value in money is faith and trust, our govt isnt really behaving responsibly with its money, whats going to keep people from losing faith , when thats all money is?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 858 • Replies: 8
No top replies

contrex

Reply Fri 8 Feb, 2008 05:35 pm
The USA didn't "collapse" after the Wall Street Crash of 1929, and I don't suppose it will if there is a recession coming up. I expect, though, that a big helping of humble pie will have to be consumed and the US won't be throwing its weight around quite as much as it has been. Not before time.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Fri 8 Feb, 2008 05:42 pm
Thats a very good question OGIONIK. Don't expect a satisfying answer.

Check this out;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dmPchuXIXQ

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Fri 8 Feb, 2008 05:48 pm
It cost the Government 1.5 pennys to print a hundred dollor bill. What would you do if you could print your own money?

-----------------------------------------------

There was a man. Everyday the man would go to the tree, tend to the tree, pick the fruit and feed his family. One day the man went to the tree and another men was there and he had put a fence around the tree.

" I need to tend the tree and pick food for my family" The first man said.

The second man said "This is my tree now and you can only buy this fruit with money."

"where do I get the money" The first man asked.

"You get it from working for me on the tree then I print the money and pay you. Then you can buy the fruit from me," Said the second man.

So the first man worked for the second man, but soon the price of the fruit went up so the man had to work harder for the same amount of fruit. Soon the man could not keep up with the price and the work for the fruit so he took a loan from the second man except he had to pay back more then he had borrowwed. He called this interest.

Dept= slavery

----------------------------------

This guy gets a little carried away but at least he makes some sense.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJxVIbQo3Hc&NR=1
0 Replies

Jim

Reply Fri 8 Feb, 2008 10:59 pm
I've read that many Europeans understand something we Americans typically miss - there is a big difference between the government of a country, and the country.

Thirty years ago I never thought I would live to see the end of the Soviet Union. I was wrong. The Soviet Union is kaput, but Russia is still there and doing increasingly well.

Lately I've placed a bet with myself if I will outlive the United States - not the country, but the bloated, inefficient, counter-productive government.

But one word of caution - things can go to hell in a hand basket all by themselves, but things only get better when people take deliberate, thought out and productive steps to make things better. If our government does go kaput, there is no guarantee it will be replaced by anything better. In fact, I would guess it is almost a certainty it will be replaced by something worse.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 8 Feb, 2008 11:33 pm
Changing foreign ownership certainly was a big part of this week's news. Any doubt that the first shots in a new economic war have been fired were removed as Chinese companies announced earlier in the week four new deals in the resources sector. The deals came only two days after Chinalco, the state-owned aluminium company, took a 12 per cent stake in Rio Tinto - the largest share acquisition to date by the Chinese in a foreign company.

China's rush for resources comes as the Government seeks access to metals, minerals and energy needed to feed its rapidly growing economy. Among the resource deals announced this week was a far-reaching strategic partnership between Anglo and the China Development Bank to develop projects in China, Africa and elsewhere. The almost simultaneous announcement of the partnerships was a coincidence, but they've certainly highlighted China's rapidly growing presence globally in the resources sector.

As those looking to secure shipping outside of New Zealand for logs over the last year will tell you, the demand for resources in China has sent shipping costs soaring. China is forecast to consume more than half of all the world's key resources within the next decade. It's already the world's largest consumer of every main resource except oil accounting already for 47 per cent of all iron ore, 32 per cent of aluminium and 25 per cent of copper.

Much closer to our own industry is the announcement just last week that a Chinese company, the Sinar Mas Group, the largest producer of pulp and paper in Asia and among the top five in the world has just been approved by U.S. and Canadian bankruptcy courts (see story below) to buy three large Pope & Talbot mills, one pulp mill in Oregon and the other two in BC. The commodity boom and changing ownership pattern of resources is a trend set to continue this year and into the future. It's the pace of change though that I think is taking many by surprise
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2008 12:25 am
I like what this guy says about these things, Ron Paul speech at CPAC 2/7/8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oaD9oM4xQo&feature=bz302
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2008 08:12 pm
Amigo wrote:
Thats a very good question OGIONIK. Don't expect a satisfying answer.

Check this out;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dmPchuXIXQ

---------------------------------------------------------------

dont expect a satisfying answer? nowdays, i dont expect a real answer at all Razz j/k
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2008 08:15 pm
Jim wrote:
I've read that many Europeans understand something we Americans typically miss - there is a big difference between the government of a country, and the country.

Thirty years ago I never thought I would live to see the end of the Soviet Union. I was wrong. The Soviet Union is kaput, but Russia is still there and doing increasingly well.

Lately I've placed a bet with myself if I will outlive the United States - not the country, but the bloated, inefficient, counter-productive government.

But one word of caution - things can go to hell in a hand basket all by themselves, but things only get better when people take deliberate, thought out and productive steps to make things better. If our government does go kaput, there is no guarantee it will be replaced by anything better. In fact, I would guess it is almost a certainty it will be replaced by something worse.

that is probably the most profound statement i have ever read while browsing this forum. thank you for stating what i think i have been "missing" for so long, in regards to poltiics and government in general.
0 Replies