anatomy of a recording

Reply Fri 8 Feb, 2008 08:09 am
I've gotten involved in a recording project for a film and I thought it might be an interesting diversion to do an audio diary of the recording of a track from beginning to finished product.

Yesterday I laid down a scratch vocal and rhythm guitar track. Tomorrow a "real" guitar track will be added along with harmony scratch tracks by the girl and her husband I'm recording with. then I will add more vocal pads and we'll sweeten the track etc etc.

I'll post links to each step and you can see how a plain something becomes, hopefully, a really nice finished track.

This is an old, not as well known springsteen tune It's an interpretation, not meant to be an exact cover.

Anyway, this is the link to the first scratch track I did yesterday.
Hopefully the mods will allow me to do this since the link, although it goes to my site, is not selling anything.

http://www.stevepartys.com/downloads/squinney_demo_01.wma
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 700 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Rockhead

Reply Fri 8 Feb, 2008 08:46 am
Cool Bear. I'll be watchin'
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Fri 8 Feb, 2008 03:02 pm
Bookmark 'til I can get to a computer with speakers.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 8 Feb, 2008 04:32 pm
the link opened the file in windows media player... sounds good!
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 8 Feb, 2008 09:32 pm
scott eqs my shitty guitar playing... Carolyn puts down a harmony... and now we have a working track

http://www.stevepartys.com/downloads/squinney_demo_02.mp3
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2008 12:07 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
scott eqs my shitty guitar playing... Carolyn puts down a harmony... and now we have a working track

http://www.stevepartys.com/downloads/squinney_demo_02.mp3

Thank God .......... Scott and Carolyn to the rescue!

j/p, Bear ... sounds good. Razz

Are you adding more to the track?
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2008 12:21 pm
Interesting. Is this a home-studio project, or is it in a professional recording studio? Did you record the vocals and the guitar on separate tracks originally, or was that first track just done together? Can't wait to get more steps in the process.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2008 12:57 pm
home studio but pro gear...and I mean state of the art pro. first scratch track done completely live in two takes. Harmonies in two takes. Now with a working track, different instrumentation will be used until there is an instrumental track we're satisfied with, then the vocals will be re recorded in their final form.
then the mix down and voila....on to thre next one... which is a covder of an old bryan adams tune.

Eventually, sooner than later hopefully, we'll start doing some original materialo but right now we're doing tunes the film company is asking for specifically.
0 Replies