IRS

OGIONIK

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2008 03:09 pm
they say i owe them 220 dollars, i disagree, but if i keep thinking about IM REALLY GOING TO ******* ROB SOMEONE.

/exaggeration

but really, i work for a year, they say i owe them, i was expecting money, i just bought a car with my savings, stupidly. wait not stupid, just bad timing?

anyways, after i paid all my debts off i didnt expect to get a bill. i thought i would just work and pay rent and buy food and start college.(and use my returns to register my car, and get a cheap laptop)

if i dont pay what happens? if they take it out of next years returns is there interest? i got a bill for working my ass off, hooray.

i dont understand, i mean they were taking 245 out of every check, isnt that alot?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,205 • Replies: 18
No top replies

Rockhead

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2008 03:31 pm
If you don't pay, they take it later with penalties and interest. They are not folks you wanna be on the wrong side of....
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2008 03:40 pm
Re: IRS
OGIONIK wrote:
i dont understand, i mean they were taking 245 out of every check, isnt that alot?

No.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2008 03:47 pm
Find a way to pay the $245 before 4/15 and in the meantime adjust your withholding rate so that an extra $5/week is being withheld to avoid having to pay again next year.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2008 04:47 pm
Did you do your own tax return?

AARP is just one of many organizations that offers taxpayers with modest incomes professional help in preparing taxes.

Quote:
LOCAL RESOURCES
AARP Tax Help Locations
Free AARP Tax-Aide site locator, where you can enter your zip code and receive location addresses, schedules, and other contact information.

IRS Taxpayer Assistance Center - Nevada
110 City Parkway
Las Vegas, NV 89106
(702) 868-5005
Monday - Friday 8:30 a.m. -4:30 p.m.

Tax Assistance, Forms and Publications at the Las Vegas Clark County Library
Tax assistance programs are provided by VITA and AARP at various library locations throughout Las Vegas. In addition, reproducible tax forms and tax information publications dating back as far back as 1980 are also available.

Volunteer Income Tax Assistance
Help with taxes for low income individuals, provided by LITC (Low Income Tax Clinic)

http://www.lvccld.org/library/info_guides/guide.cfm?guideID=36

If nothing else, they will tell you what to do to avoid unpleasant shocks next January.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2008 05:16 pm
Could have your tax situation reviewed by IRS by challenging their ruling?

Heres is what I would do. Have your tax situation reviewed by a tax professional there may be legitimate deductions you aren't aware of. One of those Noddy suggests should do the trick.

Depending on the result of the pros findings challenge the IRS ruling. Although I have no experience with IRS our tax dept in Aust work much the sam way, they are often not correct and can only work with the information they have to hand. They may in fact waive the 245 in light of the fact that it will cost them more to pursue than collect. Bear in mind that you could end up owing IRS legal fees.

Should you decide the 220 is owing contact IRS and request a low monthly payment arrangement, something like 18/month. It may be possible to pay even less over more time. I would bet they allow schemes of arrangement in certain circumstances. the key is communicate with them. Often this is better achieved if a financial/debt councilor can negotiate on your behalf but use only a non profit organisation.

Adjust your with holding rate immediatly.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2008 06:34 pm
For what tax year is this $220.00 owed? I ask because I don't see anyway they could have reviewed a 2007 return this early in the year. Yet, if it were a prior year, I'm sure they would have been in touch with you much sooner than February of 2008, with lots of information on interest/penalties.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2008 06:36 pm
220.00? Pocket change dude.... pay it and chill.
0 Replies

Jim

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2008 07:36 pm
Get with the program. Both Senators Clinton and Obama are telling us taxes are too low, and must be raised. It's a privilege to pay your taxes. And after one of these two gets elected, you'll get to pay even more, you lucky stiff.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 08:32 am
I'm guessing that he just filled out his 1040 and found by the tax table that he owes money.

Remember, you have until April to pay. Can you come up with $72 in February, March and April?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 09:10 am
Re: IRS
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
OGIONIK wrote:

No.

Ditto to that.

I had to adjust my withholding and seriously, you don't miss it. And come tax time you are pretty damn happy you changed your status.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 09:21 am
Quote:
Form 9465, which is used to request installment payments of taxes owe

Quote:
This year, any taxpayer who owes less than $10,000 will have an easier time obtaining an agreement for paying in installments. When the debt is that small, the I.R.S. will not file liens against delinquent taxpayers, and the payment schedules can be approved routinely by officials at regional I.R.S. offices.

Form 9465 lets taxpayers propose their own terms for periodic payments. The I.R.S. would not say what kinds of offers it would consider reasonable, but anyone who offered to pay a few thousand dollars, plus interest, in monthly payments over less than two years would be likely to get the deal approved, officials said. The average installment agreement is for about $2,300 paid over 20 months.

Taxpayers who find that they did not have enough taxes withheld last year should file new W-4 forms with their employers to correct the problem. But a taxpayer in arrears cannot simply increase withholding as a way of paying the I.R.S. under an installment plan.

However, a taxpayer can propose that the I.R.S. put a modest levy on a paycheck. The agency would contact the employer and the periodic payments of overdue taxes would then be withheld automatically.
so far this year, the agency has received about 100,000 requests for installment payments.

New York Times 5 feb 2008
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 09:31 am
Form 9465 and relevent information is available HERE

but seems less worthwhile in light of
Quote:
However, you will be charged a one time user fee of $105.00, as well as interest on any tax not paid by its due date, and you can be charged a late payment penalty unless you can show reasonable cause for not paying the tax by the due date (April 15, 2008 for individual income tax returns) even if your request to pay in installments is granted.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 01:28 pm
Bet you're right, Noddy. Maybe he figured in the standard deduction and omitted the personal exemption. Maybe. . .
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 04:53 pm
thanks for the info.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 04:59 pm
OGIONIK wrote:
thanks for the info.

I'd be interested to knoiw what your course of action will be OG
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 02:04 pm
well, i was going to steal a car to pay it off, if you really wanted to know. hooray for life huh? hahaha
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 05:33 pm
It would feel pretty good to stick it to the man but you have to do it in a way that wont turn out bad for you.

Seriously consider the organisation Noddy suggested, or one similar
http://www.able2know.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=3077340#3077340
and stick it up 'em.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Fri 8 Feb, 2008 01:26 pm
damn, ive been looking ito joining the military, i hope they dont care about the debt. its only 250 ish dollars but im sure it will bar my entrance, wait arent they like scrambling for people right now? i hope so im tired of bein poor hah.
0 Replies