Dining out with friends: How to handle the check

ossobuco

Reply Wed 30 Jan, 2008 04:29 pm
Well, in a lot of italian restaurants, there are coperto and servizio charges... coperto used to be a couple of thouand lire 'cover' for bread and servizio an already added on tip of, say, (15% - I forget the percentage, might have been less). I haven't been there since the dawn of the Euro.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 30 Jan, 2008 04:32 pm
Sounds to me like Ling-Ling is the one with the money issues....

kickycan wrote:
You should add the appropriate tax to your order and then figure the tip according to THAT total. I know some say you don't tip on the tax, but nobody follows that, so that's the way you should figure it if you are going to just pay for your own share.

Add up your total and add 25%. Works like a charm.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 30 Jan, 2008 04:45 pm
Yeah, that sounds like a good simple solution.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 30 Jan, 2008 04:58 pm
kickycan wrote:
msolga wrote:
Ah, they add the tax on at the end of the meal in the US, Kicky?

Yup. Is the tax already included in the price on the menu in Oz? That's a better idea.

Yep (as Deb said). Most restaurants will have a "GST (goods & services tax- around 10% usually, as best I recall) included in price" notice on the menu.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 30 Jan, 2008 05:00 pm
kickycan wrote:
And probably to a lot of other people too. I remember when I went to Italy, they told us that if we wanted to tip, just to give a dollar or two as a kind of extra thank you, but tipping wasn't mandatory there either.

Here, we tip for EVERYTHING. Do you guys tip cab drivers, baggage handlers, delivery guys, movers, and sometimes even the guy behind the counter at the local hole-in-the-wall pizza place?

No!!!

You CAN tip a taxi driver if you want.

If I want something extra done, or the job has been awful, I will tip movers.

It would be fine to give a pizza delivery person a tip if you wanted to, but nothing is expected.

I found it a nightmare in the US, having to remember to tip all the time, not to mention doing the sums quickly.

I know we sometimes forgot, and sometimes over-tippped.

I remember (at the end of the trip when I was broke), when I was in the middle of working it out, suddenly having to go to the loo. I muttered something to my friend, and left.

When I came back to finish figgering, the waiter had been by, and simply scooped up the money.

My friend hadn't been sure what my intentions were, so she let it happen. (We were taking paying in turns, as I recall.)

I crossly (since money was way short) went and humiliated myself by re-claiming the money, then left a 10% tip, because I thought the waiter (who had been fine) had been out of line.

Afterwards, I figgered some more, and realized the poor fella had actually only scooped up the bill and a perfectly reasonable (for the states) tip, and I had under-tipped by a large amount!

I felt terrible, given the wages he was getting.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 30 Jan, 2008 05:03 pm
Joe Nation wrote:
..Later, sober and in the confines of a quiet room, I refigured the bill and found that I had overcharged everyone about twenty bucks.

I sent everyone a little apology note and included a sawbuck.
They haven't asked me to figure out a bill since then
which makes me happy

but not as happy as the waiter was that night.

Joe(about a 35% tip)Nation

Love that story, Joe!

And I'm delighted for the waiter! (given what I hear about waiting wages in the US!)

... and for you (& your future dining experiences with these friends)! Laughing
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 30 Jan, 2008 05:36 pm
dlowan wrote:
Heeven wrote:
dlowan wrote:
kickycan wrote:
msolga wrote:

Unfortunately they don't get decent wages here in the U.S. They depend on the tips.

I know. Seems shocking to us.

Tai Chi visited here a few months back (lovely person).

She told me what they were giving as tips in restaurants, as she wasn't familar with what to give.

I told her she was being quite generous. She said something like "Oh, good, my husband doesn't believe that's how much you're supposed to give, since we don't tip in Canada."

I'm sure it must seem strange to others.
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Wed 30 Jan, 2008 05:47 pm
Chai wrote:
dlowan wrote:
Heeven wrote:
dlowan wrote:
kickycan wrote:
msolga wrote:

Unfortunately they don't get decent wages here in the U.S. They depend on the tips.

I know. Seems shocking to us.

Tai Chi visited here a few months back (lovely person).

She told me what they were giving as tips in restaurants, as she wasn't familar with what to give.

I told her she was being quite generous. She said something like "Oh, good, my husband doesn't believe that's how much you're supposed to give, since we don't tip in Canada."

I'm sure it must seem strange to others.

Hang on! We tip!

(What's the difference between a Canadian and a canoe? Canoe's tip!)

We were however tipping more generously than we would at home. For one thing we found meals very reasonably priced and also we were told what waitresses made per hour ($2.15 in Texas!)
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 30 Jan, 2008 05:53 pm
oh...sorry....

Chai....queen of the paraphrase.
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Wed 30 Jan, 2008 06:00 pm
No problem! I just didn't want to perpetuate the "Canadians don't tip" stereotype. (Someone [not a wait person] actually told us the canoe joke in New Mexico.)
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 30 Jan, 2008 06:00 pm
And queen of the misquote, too, Chai! :wink:

This one (attributed to me), was from someone else.:

"Unfortunately they don't get decent wages here in the U.S. They depend on the tips."

Not to worry, though.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Wed 30 Jan, 2008 08:36 pm
Yes - the low wages thing really is a surprise to Australians.

Here, wait staff are paid award wages, and tipping is not obligatory. This probably explains why our prices for some things are apparently high, to US standards.

I find the depending on tips for income particularly demeaning. Your wait staff are little more than beggars. Pay them a decent wage for a decent job.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 08:45 am
When I know I'm going to a Ladies' Luncheon, I make sure I have plenty of change including lots of singles.

Alcohol seems to complicate dividing the check in all sorts of ways.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.55 seconds on 09/29/2024 at 05:17:48