Wanted:Food Critic for the Twin Cities

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2008 09:48 am
Good day to all.
I'll be in downtown Minneapolis in a few weeks. I'm looking for:
good pizza (chicago or new york style)
a steak house
polynesian or thai
a place to have a cocktail with live musical entertainment

In general, I'm wondering if anyone can shed some light on some dining experiences they have had in downtown minneapolis. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 772 • Replies: 8
No top replies

bigredsshop

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2008 12:10 pm
Why not check the zagat reviews for that area? Cool
http://www.zagat.com/
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2008 02:53 pm
Re: Wanted:Food Critic for the Twin Cities
good pizza (chicago or new york style) You may be out of luck
Pizza Luce - does interesting specialty pizza if you want goat cheese, spinach and garlic
Davanni's is a local chain that has good pizza, thin, traditional and thick crust

a steak house - Morton's (bring your platinum card)

polynesian or thai -
Sawatdee - choose your level of hot 1-5, I have seen people red and sweating at 3.
King & I is another

a place to have a cocktail with live musical entertainment - Dakota Jazz Club (most refer to it as just "The Dakota")
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2008 03:07 pm
Sawatdee! Still around? (I'm from Minneapolis but my recommendations are quite out of date by now.)

It was great some 20 years ago...
0 Replies

alex240101

Reply Thu 24 Jan, 2008 09:03 am
Thank you bigredshop, parados, and sozobie. Parados, you covered all the bases. If sozobie remembers sawatdee being around twenty years ago, it has to be good. Somebody mentioned to me a place called Chino Latino on Hennepin Ave. I believe they said it was new.
Thank you all, again.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 24 Jan, 2008 09:17 am
alex240101 wrote:
Thank you bigredshop, parados, and sozobie. Parados, you covered all the bases. If sozobie remembers sawatdee being around twenty years ago, it has to be good. Somebody mentioned to me a place called Chino Latino on Hennepin Ave. I believe they said it was new.
Thank you all, again.

Chino Latino isn't in down town. It is in uptown. An easy cab or bus ride but I wouldn't suggest walking it.

It's interesting perhaps for the atmosphere but I wouldn't go out of my way for the food unless you can't live with out smores made with marshmellows you brown over a sterno fire. It's been there for about 5 years now and I expect the "newness" has pretty well worn off and it will go the way of most theme restaurants after 5-8 years.

This includes a review of it. I haven't been there for several years.
http://www.opentable.com/rest_profile.aspx?rid=4073

Not knowing your age, I guess I directed you to some of the places for the business crowd.

If you want more trendy, let me know.
0 Replies

alex240101

Reply Thu 24 Jan, 2008 09:31 am
Neat website parados. Chino Latino is out. I'd rather go to were the history speaks for itself. Twenty years is enough for me.
Since you've been so kind, I have another one. Mickeys Diner. I heard it had good greasy burgers. Thanks again
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 24 Jan, 2008 09:48 am
Mickey's is great. In St Paul though. It used to be on a big empty lot but now they have built a building right behind it. Mickey's has appeared in several movies. The most recent was probably "Prarie Home Companion." It's the diner they are sitting in at the end of the movie.

First Ave is a must see if you are touring music history. It's the big black building with the names of bands that have played there over the years. And the long line of people waiting to get in. Best known for Prince who still will stop by unexpectedly now and again. Not the place to go if you want a quiet cocktail while listening to live music.

Nye's is another place to visit. 1950's decor with Polish food and always packed on the weekends. They used to have a piano player there or accordian doing polkas. I haven't been there for the music in a while so don't know what they would have. I think Nye's made a list of the top places in the US just recently.

And if you need a meal during the day, check out Peter's Grill for the food and atmosphere. It had closed but I think it reopened with the son of the previous owner taking it over.
0 Replies

alex240101

Reply Thu 24 Jan, 2008 09:59 am
It just keeps on getting better. A "quiet cocktail" is just what the doctor ordered.
I enjoy pierogi, and stuffed cabbage(gauwoumpki)(sp?). Haven't polka danced since I was five.
Thanks for sharing your info with me. Last year we went down to Florida, and I thought I was in like flint with all the restaurant reviews I found online. What I learned is that the reviews online, are usually the farthest thing from the truth.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Wanted:Food Critic for the Twin Cities
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/18/2024 at 04:45:26