what is involved in an accounting class?

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2008 06:53 pm
i'm not very good in math at all. i hate it actually. just wondering how terrible an accounting class is gona be for me. i'm trying to start my own business down the road and i need to take some small business and management classes.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 6,188 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Mame

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2008 06:54 pm
Why not look at the curriculum in the courses offered near you? They should all be online and readily available.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2008 07:48 pm
You are not going to find the math work to be challenging. Simple arithmetic and very basic algebra. If you know what to do with a transaction, how to do it is a snap.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2008 11:21 pm
I am terrible at Math. But I am very organized. I made As in Accounting.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2008 11:26 pm
I have no idea whats involved in accounting,but Ive had lunch with lots of accountants and most of them I found to be not as dull as youd expect.

One female accountant collects Hummels, and shes married to another accountant (their lives must be a social whirl)

My accountant tells me what my salary is each year. Hes a powerful influence on everything I do , money wise.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2008 12:19 am
Well, right. An aggressive accountant is one that looks at your shoes.
0 Replies

cello

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2008 06:22 pm
There is not much Math in accounting, you just need to know how to balance things. However, there are many accounting rules you would have to learn. I think what you will learn is bookkeeping more than the broader "accounting" to keep the books for your business.

Accountants are not at all dull the way they used to be portrayed, and they have to keep ahead with all the new technological and commercial advances in order to advise their clients, and that is quite a challenge.
Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2008 06:27 pm
This may give you a good idea as to what is involved. If you are starting your own business. it is VERY wise for you to understand accounting principles, even if you hire an independent accountant to do your books.

http://www.accountingcoach.com/

Good luck with your business!!! Very Happy
0 Replies

charles sturdivant

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 03:27 pm
@cello,
cello ! hi great answer,but Im not sure if im ready because of my bad grades in math period. I mean i have never recieved a letter grade lower than an "C"- but bare in mind i just went back to school as an older student,but i new the time was righth for me to flurish in life again,because i have given up in the past and dont plan on stopping now.I have have custody of my son and my main goal is to be the best parent i can and provide for him. bussiness adminastation is my career selection of choice,becaus i have goals and believe in myself that soon I can have my owned bussiness and run it effectively and profit so i can have the finances behind me and support me and my son,but its hard,but I know i can make with my education. I have talk with my advisor at school and he tells me that I'm doing find but can do better so i can get a least my associate degree and tranfer,but i get kind of chocke up when it comes to any type of math.
charles sturdivant

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 03:28 pm
@charles sturdivant,
1644354-PW0EU0SA

0 Replies