PROFESSIONAL HACKERS ACCESSING BANKING INFORMATION

Reply Fri 18 Jan, 2008 07:06 pm
on the CBC news today , police warned about PROFESSIONAL hackers accessing internet banking communication between customer and bank .
as an example : they re-direct a transfer a customer is making to an offshore bank account .
the spokesperson stated that the bank would NOT be aware of he hackers interference since they would have to assume that the customer wanted the money transferred to the account/bank specified !
the warning was NOT to make large money transfer on the internet .
the transaction would be difficult to trace and even if traced , the money would be gone .
the bank would likely NOT be responsible for the lost money since the hacking would not have taken place on their system but BEFORE it reached their system .
???
hbg
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 865 • Replies: 3
No top replies

TTH

Reply Sat 19 Jan, 2008 11:36 am
Thanks for posting this. I don't suppose they said how the hackers are doing this?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 19 Jan, 2008 11:56 am
Quote:
"What they are doing is they are already on your computer, and when you type on your computer, they are sitting between your keyboard and the bank," Huger said. "They are intercepting everything you send to your bank and everything your bank sends to you. It is called a man-in-the-middle attack."

Huger said the current attack has been under way for about four days, and while he said Symantec has seen it try to infect thousands of its customers, the company's security software has stymied the attempts.However, computer users who don't have up-to-date anti-virus security software installed, or who haven't updated their Web browsers to fix flaws that are allowing the Trojan to proliferate, are open to attack.

http://www.canada.com/topics/technology/story.html?id=0e8222a8-aa09-406b-be1c-0bce3e7a2a8b&k=48015

The moral of the story: Have a current virus scan program on your computer, and keep it updated!
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 19 Jan, 2008 02:06 pm
Quote:
The moral of the story: Have a current virus scan program on your computer, and keep it updated!

while it certainly a good idea to have an up-to-date anti-virus program , i have not seen any anti-virus program offer any kind of a guarantee against hackers .

from what i understand , these are not CASUAL HACKERS who want to prove how smart they are but an organized group of PROFESSIONAL HACKERS that are in the business for PROFIT .

as the police pointed out : "this is easier than robbing a bank ; there is more money to be made and the chances of being caught are minimal " .

i would compare it to identity theft : the chances that anyone will be a victim seem fairly small , but if you are the victim , it will be very troublesome and costly to the individual .

also keep in mind that banks will hardly ever make public if they are hit by one of these scams . they swallow the loss rather than let customer confidence erode . (though any customer trying to recover from a bank will often be given the runaround ) .
GUARD YOUR PERSONAL AND FINANCIAL INFORMATION ! once it's been highjacked it'll be next to imposssible to recover .
hbg
0 Replies