Mozilla Firefox Shuts Down

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2008 05:57 am
I have recently begun using Firefox on my computer. Increasingly, I get a dialog box: Mozilla Firefox has quit working. I have to shut it down, then it offers to restore the session. It has happened three times in the past five minutes. Instead of restoring the actual session, it opens to random past sessions of the morning. ?????????????
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,699 • Replies: 18
No top replies

dadpad

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2008 06:17 am
Delete via add remove programs then reinstall.

Because its a free program this seems to be the easiest way to deal with firefoc bugs.

Empty your temp files using C cleaner after deleting firefox.

I use firefox almost exclusively Edgar. I have very little trouble with it.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2008 05:56 pm
Thanks, dadpad. Will give it a try.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 18 Jan, 2008 06:00 am
It has shut down again, after I did those things. Will try again when I get home. If third time doesn't work will have to conclude the computer won't handle it.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 18 Jan, 2008 06:10 am
Edgar, is there some pattern to when it shuts down? Very often the content of the page you are viewing is important while diagnosing these things.

Does it shut down when you are at simple pages (like google), or just when there is a video,,, or do these things appear to not matter?
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 18 Jan, 2008 06:18 am
I found this link which suggests updating extensions.

http://www.zolved.com/synapse/view_content/20382/Firefox_is_crashing_____how_can_I_fix_it

There is also a "safe-mode" that you can try by typing "firefox -safe-mode" from the run menu... but I would try the extensions thing first.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 18 Jan, 2008 07:06 am
Hmmm, as e brown says updating extensions and plugins

This link may be useful as well

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Standard_diagnostic_%28Firefox%29

The fact that it reopens to random past sessions make me think about the history files. somewhere i read about deleting the history file
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 18 Jan, 2008 05:44 pm
I'm not up to working on the problem just now - been working in the drizzling cold all day. I have been watching quite a few vids on You Tube the past few days. But, when it shuts down, I can be on a2k or something. It doesn't always randomly restore the session, just once in a while. Possibly taking the easier route at the time.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 18 Jan, 2008 08:52 pm
It could be worth looking at how much free space your hard drive has left.

cache size?

I'm guessing really, go have a hot bath and relax for a bit.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 19 Jan, 2008 03:06 pm
Screw it. Went back to Internet Explorer.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sat 19 Jan, 2008 05:18 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
Screw it. Went back to Internet Explorer.

((that's too bad about Edgar... I always liked him))
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 19 Jan, 2008 10:58 pm
The annoyances of internet explorer are minor, in retrospect.
0 Replies

Vonda1941

Reply Wed 30 Jan, 2008 08:13 am
Just tonight, less than an hour ago, I uninstalled Mozilla Firefox, and since then I am unable to click onto a link to go anywhere. When I got an email from A2K that lets me know I have a response, when I clicked onto the link in the email, nothing happened. Then I find out that the only way I can use Internet Explorer is to bring it up via the Start Menu or the lcon on my desktop. I am sure that is how Mozilla Firefox is punishing me for uninstalling it. If someone can tell me how to fix up IE it would be appreciated. Maybe I need to do something like reinstall IE, if I knew how to do that. Sad
Otherwise I have to reinstall MF Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 30 Jan, 2008 10:28 pm
Vonda1941 wrote:
Just tonight, less than an hour ago, I uninstalled Mozilla Firefox, and since then I am unable to click onto a link to go anywhere. When I got an email from A2K that lets me know I have a response, when I clicked onto the link in the email, nothing happened. Then I find out that the only way I can use Internet Explorer is to bring it up via the Start Menu or the lcon on my desktop. I am sure that is how Mozilla Firefox is punishing me for uninstalling it. If someone can tell me how to fix up IE it would be appreciated. Maybe I need to do something like reinstall IE, if I knew how to do that. Sad
Otherwise I have to reinstall MF Crying or Very sad

Try System Restore. Set the restore date for the day before you installed Firefox.
0 Replies

Vonda1941

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2008 07:44 am
Hi Edgar, Thanks for your suggestion but I have never done a System Restore, and I have no idea when I installed the Firefox.
However, moving on.. I was advised to go looking for any remaining scraps of Firefox Mozilla that may still have been left behind after I did the uninstall.
Well, I found 2.35MB of stuff in Program Files : 'componants' 'plugins' & 'search plug ins'.
Now I am hoping someone with lots of nous in A2K will tell me that it is okay to delete those items and that the sky won't fall in.
I'm wondering why those 3 folders remained after I had uninstalled Firefox Mozilla. I was also advised to reinstall Internet Explorer.
'One thing at a time' is my motto, so I'll wait for some sweet soul to tell me...'yep... go ahead... delete those 3 folders in Program Files because they are meaningless and the sky won't fall in.
Then, if things return to normal, I won't need to reinstall Internet Exlorer.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2008 07:58 am
vonda, open internet explorer and choose the tools menu, select internet options. choose the programs tab. on this windoe you will see a button labled "internet explorer is not the current default web browser" select the default option.

see if that helps.

I think you could delete the left over firefox files. The computer will advise if there are shared files within these folders. Do not delete shared files.

I am still quite intrigued by those that have trouble with firefox as it runs well for me.
0 Replies

Vonda1941

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2008 08:49 am
EXCELLENT... I opened IE, Tools.. Internet Options.. Programs.. did not see "Internet Explorer is not the current default browser".. However, did see "Internet Explorer should check to see whether it is the default browser".. I put a tick there. ALSO... I clicked on "Reset Web Settings".. and now I am able to click onto links in an email and it takes me there.
Big sighs of relief. Thanks a million. xxx
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2008 09:12 am
My account is in the mail vonda. We prefer payment within 30 days and in Australian dollars.

Thank you for your business.
0 Replies

Vonda1941

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2008 09:24 am
You wish.. ha ha
BTW... I intended saying something about Firefox Mozilla in relation to you liking it so much and other people not so inclined. The only reason I got rid of it was because it made itself the default browser from day one, which annoyed me. I wanted to be the one to choose, and until a short time ago.. I didn't know how to go about that.
If you were to ask me to give specifics as to why I didn't like FM, I probably couldn't think of a reasonable reason, probably because I've forgotten already. There were things I was familiar with in OE and why I even loaded FM in the first place is a mystery.
I think I did it out of curiousity. I heard other people mention it, and I was just curious to find out what they were going on about.
Always on a learning curve me is. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies