can a 20 year old own their own business?

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2008 07:48 pm
i want to start my own airbrushing custom paint business. it will take me a while to get better at using the airbrush but im a very good artist and painter. i just wanted some advice or tips on starting my own business. im only 19 years old so i still have a while to achieve this goal. open to any suggestions or comments!!!! Smile
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,207 • Replies: 8
No top replies

jespah

Reply Wed 16 Jan, 2008 04:55 am
Teenagers have had successful businesses before so you would not be the first.

I've done the home business thing myself and one thing that I think a lot of people don't realize is that to get nearly any business off the ground, you have to lay out some money. In your case, that would be for good equipment, to print flyers or take out an ad, or possibly to take a class to improve your technique. Not impossible but recognize that there's going to be an initial expense involved.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 16 Jan, 2008 05:18 am
Ask yourself if it is worth it to work twice as hard for half as much to maybe make it if you beat the odds. Then go for it!
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 16 Jan, 2008 06:12 am
I thought he was asking per legal issues.

Sure a teenager can start a business. I think as far as contracts, you should be okay at 18. Don't know if there are any age requirements for formal/legal set-up of a business such as incorporation or LLC's. Or, if there is an age requirement of 21 for liability insurance, etc.

Self-employment is one of the greatest things you can do for yourself. If you make it ... Great. If you don't... You tried. And, too few dare to try.
0 Replies

dixieland10

Reply Fri 18 Jan, 2008 02:14 am
wel ive been doin that for a while. i wuz in the marines for 2 years. i understand it will be a lot of work. did you ever own your own business?
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Fri 18 Jan, 2008 03:48 am
I did and yes it is a lot of work if you care about the customer and product. The business I had was already "established" so I didn't have to worry about "the making" it part. Good luck if you decide to pursue it.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 18 Jan, 2008 07:19 am
I have two businesses

You DO need to be ready for up front costs

Your very first cost should be to take a class to improve skill.
The reason for that is if you want to secure any commercial clients ( regular , higher income) all clients need to see credentials.

The more you study, the more valuable you are.
This does not have to mean several years in school.
You can take Continuing education courses for cheap and they are only a few weeks long. Have several of them and you are interesting to clients.

While you are going to school, work as a freelance in your chosen field.

Use places like Craigslist to advertise your business and work for a little less then you will charge once you have your business going.

Customer service is the KEY here.
If people are not happy they talk. VERY LOUD.

Dont be ashamed if someone does not like your work. Do it over. You are in the business to make people happy. Drop your ego at the door.

Drop your slang at the door as well. Nothing is more of a turn off for a client then a kid who refuses to speak proper english. It makes you look uneducated and desperate. No one wants to hire a desperate person.

Practice all you can, where you can. Offer some of your services for free to people. This will not only increase your popularity and help get you known, but it will open the door to more work, which is where you get practice.

You can do it. Just dont think it will be easy.
It is a 24 hour job, but .. its 24 hours on YOUR schedule , at YOUR pace and no one else to govern you Smile
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 18 Jan, 2008 07:38 am
I assume from your name you are in the USA:

First step is to visit your local Small Business Development Office and find out what you need in your state to be a legal business. You will need at least a business license. You might want to consider getting a tax number. You need to understand how to collect and pay taxes as a business. You need to check into what kinds of insurance your need. Liability is a must, if you damage a clients property you can be sued. If someone gets hurt on your property they can bankrupt you.

Other considerations:
How much money do you need to make? How much time and materials will you need to meet that number? How many jobs does that equal. Do you need to work other jobs to support yourself until this takes off or flops? How many hours can you really work at each.

Get together a budget and a success plan. That means know how much you are willing to invest, and possibly lose, before you will declare your business a success or failure. Most business fail because they do not have enough cash flow, too much debt, the wrong product, a bad location or the owner finds he cannot give the business enough of his focus because the whole thing becomes too overwhelming.

If you have never taken a business course like Basic Accounting, Tax Preparation for Small Business or Introductory Management, I suggest you sign up as soon as possible.

Good luck.

And yes, I own my own small business.
0 Replies

glasglow

Reply Sat 3 May, 2008 09:55 am
Although you might make some mistakes.. I would certainly suggest you do start a business. A 20 year old "who knows it all" (no personal offense -just common stereotype mention) is cerainly a great person to start a business. Even if it's not for that particular business, the experience will be carried with you forever.. that's what's most important. Go for it. Do the best you can.. make mistakes.. learn from them.
0 Replies