The Case Against the Case Against Starbucks

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2008 02:03 pm
Here's an interesting review of Taylor Clark's book Starbucked, courtesy of The Washington Monthly.

Drip Grind
Taylor Clark's weak case against Starbucks
by DORON TAUSSIG

It was about halfway through Taylor Clark's Starbucked that I decided I should read the book inside a Starbucks establishment. Not as some sort of anthropological experiment (though certainly, if material were to present itself ...), but because, as part of the minority of American adults that doesn't drink coffee, I'm just not that familiar with the stores. I had been in them, sure, and understood that Starbucks was a major chain. But the omnipresent, possibly villainous cultural entity Clark was describing didn't resemble the hazy little dark-green cafes I saw in the back of my mind.

[See thread for full text.]
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 988 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Shapeless

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2008 02:05 pm
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2008 02:10 pm
Yeah, but.... those caramel frappacinos are sooooo good! (runs off to Starbucks)
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2008 02:10 pm
No arguments there. Very Happy
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2008 02:12 pm
I like the way you think, Shapeless! Razz
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2008 05:55 am
The issue that Starbucks help local coffeeshops was a finding of a local investigative reporter in LAncaster Pa. When Starbucks moved in to spots along the tourist routes, there was a concomitant founding of a whole bunch of Mom and Pop coffee shops in small towns in the county. These mom and Pop shops have a closer concern to the real flavor of beans that are not roasted to death like Starbucks insists on doing.

Ive reached a conclusion that STarbucks purposely roasts the crap out of its beans JUST SO that their customers will buy one of their creamy whipped syrup laced concoctions. Ive read in the Coffee trade magazine that the trend now is toward milder roasts so that the real flavor of coffe can be realized.

Dunkin and McD's are starting to cut into Starbucks , but both of these companies still havent got a quality cup of coffee mostly because they use those brown and orange "globe" coffee containers and dont toss out the pot thats unsold after 15 minutes (coffee spoils and gets acidic in minutes ) . Ive seen at Dunkin where the barrista would pour the remains of one pot into a freshly brewed pot. This guarantrees rancid tasting coffees.
0 Replies