Excussse me or how to get out of a conversation?

Reply Thu 10 Jan, 2008 07:49 pm
This recent holiday season had me feeling trapped in many a party conversation. What do you do when you have been introduced to a new person, you nicely chat along, and eventually the conversation gets dull and you want to get away? I always feel that saying "I need to get a drink" or "I have to go to the washroom" is rather lame and obvious- even when it's true. Is there a polite way to say "you're boring my knickers off and I want to go talk to some other people? "
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,324 • Replies: 38
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 10 Jan, 2008 07:51 pm
This is an excellent question. Oh, wait, I need to catch a train...
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 10 Jan, 2008 07:53 pm
ossobuco wrote:
This is an excellent question. Oh, wait, I need to catch a train...

but I want to stick around and talk to guy who sculpts giant mushrooms, or the woman who just back from Mongolia...
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

I always use the line, "My, my... time for my anal cream application."

(Slappy taught me that one)
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

"Hey I gotta run to the bathroom," then walk away.

Mutter loudly, "what a lame bastard."
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 10 Jan, 2008 07:55 pm
(crossing both Gus and Slappy off my party guest list)
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 10 Jan, 2008 07:56 pm
Oh, c'mon, Green Witch! Hey, I was in Mongolia not too terribly long ago. Can I please come to your party?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 10 Jan, 2008 07:57 pm
Well, you can't very well say, "You're a crashing bore, and I don't want to talk to you any more". You might want to say something about seeing someone on the other side of the room that to whom you must speak.
Or, if you are into complete unvarnished honesty, you could say, "I really have to go now", and just walk away.

Personally, I vote for the bathroom ploy if the person is of the opposite sex. If it is another woman, you might just have her tagging along! Laughing
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Thu 10 Jan, 2008 07:57 pm
Ewww, I hate being stuck in conversations like this. I wish I had the answer for ya, it just seems I make a crappy excuse and run like hell, and try not to make eye contact later on.

lol
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 10 Jan, 2008 08:01 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:

Personally, I vote for the bathroom ploy if the person is of the opposite sex. If it is another woman, you might just have her tagging along! Laughing

That actually happened to me once at a club.

I should say that not all these people are boring to start, some are very nice and interesting. It's more that we just met so the conversation can get thin and awkward.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 10 Jan, 2008 08:02 pm
You could always do what some chick did to me on a date.

Start tearing up, show the person the back of your wrist, and solemnly say, "I tried killing myself once."
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 10 Jan, 2008 08:02 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
Oh, c'mon, Green Witch! Hey, I was in Mongolia not too terribly long ago. Can I please come to your party?

Raiding with Attila does not qualify you as a Mongolian tourist.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 10 Jan, 2008 08:05 pm
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
You could always do what some chick did to me on a date.

Start tearing up, show the person the back of your wrist, and solemnly say, "I tried killing myself once."

It's worse when they pull that on your wedding day.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Thu 10 Jan, 2008 08:09 pm
Hey, isn't that (insert famous name here while pointing)....

Then move very quickly and duck.

They get the hint.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 10 Jan, 2008 08:15 pm
I remember my first college mixer. Oh, god. I hid in the bathroom, yep.

I've changed. Now I say, I'd like to talk with more people, excuse me.

Bald I am. Might come from a combined six years of art gallery mode, as owner, and a bunch more as visitor. Thus, "I need to mix, talk with you later." Which was literally true, but I didn't use that very much. Later just might not happen. Or, as guest, I'm going to mix, talk to you later."

Harder, of course, at a small gathering.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 10 Jan, 2008 08:19 pm
ossobuco wrote:
"I need to mix, talk with you later."

A version of this could work. " Excuse me. I need to go talk to the hot looking guy who makes giant mushrooms out of wire, we'll talk again later"
I like that.

Part of my problem is that I worked in sales for years, plenty of cold calls, and I too did the galley thing. I'm real good at the starting the chatter, but often feel helpless to end it.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 10 Jan, 2008 08:26 pm
I'm ok at the gallery, we really did need to roam the scene and not stick in one place - there were often just two of us on the floor with another at the food/drink table, and sometime masses and sometime dwindlers. Plus there's the leave people alone thing, and be friendly thing. Very complicated.

Harder for me is the smaller party with yourself on the sofa stuck with the talkative guy who does the mushroom thing, in whatever way or form, and the person with the two hour lecture on Ulan Bator, which I'd ordinarily be interested in, but not at that length at that time. Lesson, don't sit on the sofa.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 10 Jan, 2008 08:28 pm
On my earlier post, I'd like to erase my second line. That's not what I say. But I do say, I'm going to go mix... or the equivalent. No apology like phrases, except perhaps excuse me.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 10 Jan, 2008 08:31 pm
There's always, "I need to feed the turtles"...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 10 Jan, 2008 08:46 pm
Did I kill this? Watches people all walk toward the bathroom...
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Excussse me or how to get out of a conversation?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/29/2024 at 10:27:42