Christmas trees ready for mulching...

Foofie

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2008 08:04 am
With Christmas over, Christmas trees are waiting for pick-up, where many will be mulched. Sort of sad to see these trees, no ornaments, waiting to be mulched.

So, please explain to me why it is not incongruous to have an evergreen tree that is alive and breathing (carbon dioxide), be cut down, and in a few weeks sit forlornly waiting to be mulched, all in the symbolism of "everlasting life." Am I the only person to think that killing a tree to symbolize "everlasting life" is antithetical?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 542 • Replies: 10
No top replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2008 08:47 am
I was going to buy a living tree this year because my yard could use a few more spruce. They weigh a ton though with the huge root/dirtball. I messed my back up enough hanging lights and shoveling snow.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2008 08:59 am
cjhsa wrote:
I was going to buy a living tree this year because my yard could use a few more spruce. They weigh a ton though with the huge root/dirtball. I messed my back up enough hanging lights and shoveling snow.

Isn't there a win-win approach (you win with celebrating Christmas, and an evergreen tree wins by not being cut down)?

Isn't a wreath on one's door better for fire safety, than a Christmas tree wrapped up in electric lights?
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2008 11:47 am
you're talking about a religious tradition that goes back thousands of years.
it ain't goin' away any time soon, Foofie.

mulching is an efficiant way to recycle the dead trees, which is, in turn, good for the environment...
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2008 12:21 pm
A Christmas Tree takes seven to nine years to grow and is soaking up carbon all that time.

For every tree that is harvested, another tree is planted.

The bottom line is probably carbon plus.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2008 01:46 pm
Overall, Christmas tree farming is an environmentally sound business. That may not continue if spruce and pine borer continue to spread and tree farms might have to resort heavy pesticide spraying, but in general it's a sustainable industry that often helps to save a family farm. We do far more environmental damage when we harvest for paper and building supplies. The world would be better if we stopped using paper napkins than boycotting Xmas trees.

As cjhsa mentions, it's really not practical to do the live tree thing. Ball and burlap trees are very heavy, messy and don't like going from your warm house to the cold outdoors. Many die from the shock in temperature change. It's also very difficult to dig a hole big enough for the root ball when the ground is frozen.

Mulching the trees, dragging them into woodlands for bird cover or using them as beach erosion barriers, are all environmentally sound ways to deal with the carcasses.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Fri 11 Jan, 2008 11:26 am
Region Philbis wrote:
you're talking about a religious tradition that goes back thousands of years.
it ain't goin' away any time soon, Foofie.

mulching is an efficiant way to recycle the dead trees, which is, in turn, good for the environment...

Would I be correct to think that Christmas trees started as a pagan tradition for something in the pre-Christian faith(s)? And, it was adopted by Christianity to make conversion to Christianity more palatable to ex-pagans?

Regardless, in a globally warming world, do we really want to maintain all ancient traditions, if they are antithetical to the awareness (valuing all living things that haven't yet become extinct) of 21st century stewards of our ever smaller planet?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 11 Jan, 2008 11:49 am
Foofie wrote:
Would I be correct to think that Christmas trees started as a pagan tradition for something in the pre-Christian faith(s)? And, it was adopted by Christianity to make conversion to Christianity more palatable to ex-pagans?

That might well be. Many different tribes and many cults used trees for ceremonial purposes.

A 'fir tre' - the tree commonly called 'christmas tree' - is first sourced being used about 1500.

They became a common Protestant/Eveangelical trdition as opposed to the Catholic traditon of setting up cribs (nativity sets).

However, you don't recycle cribs ... :wink:
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Fri 11 Jan, 2008 12:10 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Foofie wrote:

That might well be. Many different tribes and many cults used trees for ceremonial purposes.

A 'fir tre' - the tree commonly called 'christmas tree' - is first sourced being used about 1500.

They became a common Protestant/Eveangelical trdition as opposed to the Catholic traditon of setting up cribs (nativity sets).

However, you don't recycle cribs ... :wink:

Your explanation is very interesting.

In visiting the Amish in Pennsylvania years ago, I heard that the tradition of having model electric trains going, in a circle, around the base of the decorated Christmas tree is referred to as a Putz. Is this strictly a U.S. tradition?

I never heard that the Creche (Nativity scene) was of Catholic origin. Here in the U.S. there have been some strong feelings about Creche's being set up in front of government buildings, since there is supposed to be a "separation of Church and State in the U.S.," and some people have taken counties to court to have a Creche removed during the Christmas season. I think the usual position of the anti-Creche concerns is that a Creche is a religious symbol, yet usually no complaint is made, I thought, about a Christmas tree?

I personally don't think the religious significance of the Creche is what brings out such strong anti-Creche feelings, but rather the unconscious concern, that the "adorable" baby in the manger, could possibly make a young daughter of agnostic parents want to adopt the faith that has such an "adorable baby" for the purpose of a holiday.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 11 Jan, 2008 12:44 pm
The oldest existing cribs/mangers/crèches in a nearby crib museum are from the 16th century.

Trains around christmas trees is a ... well, that's when you think of bourgeoise/middle class christmas evenings around 1900 here :wink:
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Fri 11 Jan, 2008 10:01 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
The oldest existing cribs/mangers/crèches in a nearby crib museum are from the 16th century.

Trains around christmas trees is a ... well, that's when you think of bourgeoise/middle class christmas evenings around 1900 here :wink:

Most interesting. Thank you.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Christmas trees ready for mulching...
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/02/2024 at 03:03:57