I have a seriously homesick husband...lol

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2008 08:23 am
It does sound like the car situation is holding you back. Any way you can speed up that turning in of the lemon?

About the breadwinner, it really is hard to convince a man that money isn't that important when he's working hard to provide for his family. So that I understand. How far are you from Georgia? When you get your wheels back, maybe you could pop over this way. We've got quite a bit of forest and some lovely mountains (with waterfalls). We're city folk, of course, but sometimes we go walkabout.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2008 08:45 am
Hey MMS - sadly and quite unusual for me, I don't have any advice but see you've gotten some good stuff here. My only comment is about the car -

makemeshiver33 wrote:

... you can't park your vehicle because you'll come back to find it striped. We were warned about that real quick after moving here. And I've seen them sitting there striped. So we know thats true.....So if you can't leave your vehicle out of your sight, lol whatta ya do then?

Good Lord! How many striped cars are down there, anyway? [shakes head] ... I find stripes quite boring unless they're varying thicknesses...

Very Happy
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2008 11:07 am
Noddy wrote:
Quote:
MMS--

Obviously now that you're far from home you're a target for every dear, sweet old lady who happens to have a senior moment behind the wheel.

Thats the way I felt for months afterwards...I've gotten over it somewhat, but still get very nervous at times.

You know all about getting up and dusting yourself off (and soothing the kids) and getting back up on the horse that threw you.

You are right, I do....

That horse won't stand still right now?

Are you sure?

Got a point....

You can take the boy out of the country, but you can't take the country out of the boy.

Having a hard time taking it out of me also....

Workable wheels seem to be a good place to start. I know very little about cars beyond the price of gas, but can you work with the Arkansas dealer through a local dealer?

No...I've been buying through a local car dealer in the state, he's so reasonable, doesn't rip your head off with interest ...etc, that I have to take the vehicle to them. Well, I don't, but I am....because they will either fix it, or give me another one.

Consider giving culture a try. A trip to a museum or art gallery would fit in with home schooling. I'm a great believer in exposing kids to new experiences both for the value of the experience and for teaching them that exploration is a Good Idea.

I've said that the entire time we've been doing the homeschooling, but it seems that something has always gotten in our way for us. Husbands work, time, my sister, trips back home.....now the car...

Good luck.

Thank you, I'm going to have to just get up off my butt and stop making excuses.....and find things to stop from dwelling on "what if we were home", or "if we were home we'd"....and realize this is HOME now...

cjhsa wrote:
Quote:
Buy several Crossman pump BB guns. Shoot at anything that moves

Humm, already own several of those, and you'd think it was funny at what we've been doing, but others would flog me for it...So I'll just remain quiet...

When we first moved in here, the boys and I would go sit on the front porch every afternoon and shoot pellet guns at the fence post surrounding the front yard, who shot the most post...won. Momma usually took the prize...>snicker<

Freeduck wrote:
Quote:
It does sound like the car situation is holding you back. Any way you can speed up that turning in of the lemon?

No, I wish. We started to do it over Christmas, but with the price of going home, versus the price of Christmas, we chose to wait till the middle of January where we could afford it a bit more easily. That's a money issue there.....

About the breadwinner, it really is hard to convince a man that money isn't that important when he's working hard to provide for his family. So that I understand.

Yeah, he's doubled his income with this move. Its a highly stressful environment he's in. That's part of his problem also. The amount of stress, and the lack of things to have an outlet...

How far are you from Georgia?

About 30 minutes. That's the one place in this area that we've not searched out. I've also suggest to him for us to look for a place in Georgia closeby, its in our 40 miles radius.....

When you get your wheels back, maybe you could pop over this way. We've got quite a bit of forest and some lovely mountains (with waterfalls). We're city folk, of course, but sometimes we go walkabout.

Mame wrote:
Quote:
Good Lord! How many striped cars are down there, anyway? [shakes head] ... I find stripes quite boring unless they're varying thicknesses...

LOL, I meant stripped...lol, not striped...(I knew that wasn't right last night) Everytime we've went through that area, there is atleast the reminents of one left sitting there on it's axles, windows beat out...I've even seen one burned.....

I appreciate everyone's advice, I'm going to take it. We did make this decision to move down here and knew ahead of time that we'd be homesick. I just didn't think it would kick in so badly this far into it.

As I was writing some of this last night, I do think the car plays a big role in the bouts of homesickness, it seems to coincide with everything. If we were a little more free to get out and about, and not so limited right now....we'd all probably feel better.

It's just going to take a little more time, and a whole of effort on our parts to make this place home and give it a better chance.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2008 11:12 am
If it's a new car, and a lemon, can you work with the dealer to turn it in at a local dealership and have them pick it up? Or have them pay the cost to return it? I'm assuming that you bought it in Arkansas and that's why you have to wait.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2008 11:26 am
Quote:
If it's a new car, and a lemon, can you work with the dealer to turn it in at a local dealership and have them pick it up? Or have them pay the cost to return it? I'm assuming that you bought it in Arkansas and that's why you have to wait.

Its a 2003 Pontiac Grand Prix GT, I've had it since the first of September. It went to the shop the first time over the floorboard flooding, so they replaced the glass. It's still flooding when it rains.

The second trip it went back to the shop, it blowed the valve covers off the motor and had a wheel bearing go bad...so they replaced it. And sopposedly went through the car for me, to make sure everything was fixed...so I'd have no other problems.

My Brother-in-law did me a favor and drove the car down here, and two days later...I had a rod knocking.

This isn't one of those major car dealers. He's a small time local dealer who is growing by leaps and bounds because he is so good to deal with. He's the first car dealer I've come across that I've trusted. (lol) MOF, this car was my 5th vehicle through him, and the first vehicle I've bought that I've ever had a problem with. I've had a my jeep, a then my tahoe and my husband truck, and my sisters tracker...and then this lemon. So...if it means me towing the car back to him to be satisfied, then I will......

I guess what I'm saying is this, If I'm good enough on my part to do whats right, or not asked of me, I know he will too........he always has.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2008 11:30 am
That makes sense if there's a good relationship there. Good luck -- wish there was something that could be done sooner for you.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2008 01:38 pm
Freeduck wrote:
Quote:
That makes sense if there's a good relationship there. Good luck -- wish there was something that could be done sooner for you.

There is, a very good relation with these folks at the dealership, I've come to know many of them personally which makes it easier for me to get things done when the need be.

Thank you Freeduck, Thank's to all of you....I think it's helped alot to just come on here and kinda talk things out, you see where things can be shifted, fixed, or see a new strategy to use....lol

Thats why I love you guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2008 01:42 pm
Alright, to heck with the BB gun and the fence post. Get some 22-250's and shoot some coyotes at long range. They're everywhere these days.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2008 01:55 pm
Hey MMS - I haven't seen this thread before - so sorry! Have you all been Chewacla State Park there? We use to go all the time...great place for fishing and boating - there are miles of walking trails - huge rocks to climb on - shoot - it was an every weekend thing in the Spring. There is also the Preserve - it has walking trails and some fun things to look at. And I think Lee county has a public fishing spot near there - at least according to a friend of mine whose parents live there.

I will ask around some more - I know there are tons of things to do that are like what you all like - I mean - this is Alabama and there's a whole lot of huntin' and fishin' going on!

I hope it gets better soon!
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2008 02:31 pm
cjhsa wrote:
Quote:
Alright, to heck with the BB gun and the fence post. Get some 22-250's and shoot some coyotes at long range. They're everywhere these days.

HA! Whatcha tryin' to do there CJ, get us flogged? Speaking of 22-250's, my youngest son just got one of them back in October. He loves it...

Mismi wrote:
Quote:
Hey MMS - I haven't seen this thread before - so sorry! Have you all been Chewacla State Park there? We use to go all the time...great place for fishing and boating - there are miles of walking trails - huge rocks to climb on - shoot - it was an every weekend thing in the Spring. There is also the Preserve - it has walking trails and some fun things to look at. And I think Lee county has a public fishing spot near there - at least according to a friend of mine whose parents live there.

I will ask around some more - I know there are tons of things to do that are like what you all like - I mean - this is Alabama and there's a whole lot of huntin' and fishin' going on!

I hope it gets better soon!

Thanks Mismi, we have been the the state park and visited. Its beautiful through there. And Lee County does have the public lake closeby us. We haven't been to it though...

We've been up to Lake Martin, which we had a chance to lease a cabin up there, I wish we'd done that now. But he was looking at a long drive each day, both ways....

And we've found an area about two hours south of here, that we haven't had the chance to go and visit yet...due to the vehicle situation.

It'll get better...........
0 Replies

alex240101

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2008 02:44 pm
If your making due with an industrial park, you'll be just fine. A cementless path at home, is always waiting for you. When we were in bama, we snuck into Florida to the naval aircraft museum. Between the imax theatre, aircraft simulator, and everything else the place has to offer, you can make a day of it. The fishing is always good on the gulf coast. Just plop down anywhere on a beach, and the odds are you'll catch something. Dolphin watching is great too.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2008 03:25 pm
MMS--

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2008 03:53 pm
Here's the Industrial Park where we've been walking in the mornings. Its a beautiful place, spaced out and in between a variety of industrial plants.

If you'll blow it up where you can see it, to the right of the pavilion is my husbands plant, just out of view....there's another one to the left of the pond, and one across from it, interstate behind me hidden by the trees.

http://s32.photobucket.com/albums/d34/Stephanie1970/th_Picture060.jpg

Perfect place for walking, skating or skateboarding. Its even lit up at night so if we wanted to go late in the evenings we could do that also.

But I feel safe there.....and that's important. I won't allow the boys on the road in which we live, they drive 50-60 mph down it, and they just won't be allowed to venture off out there...period.

(I take my camera everywhere...lol)
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2008 04:23 pm
Here's something else I've been doing, probably boring for some, but I've incorporated it into our lessons.

Birds= What type? Migration.... Why they migrate? Etc....

http://s32.photobucket.com/albums/d34/Stephanie1970/th_collage.jpg
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2008 04:29 pm
I don't think it is boring at all MMS - are y'all close to the preserve ?

Here is a link:
http://www.sfws.auburn.edu/eco-site/

You probably already know about it. My understanding is that birdwatching is encouraged.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2008 07:01 pm
Mismi wrote:
Quote:
I don't think it is boring at all MMS - are y'all close to the preserve ?

Here is a link:
http://www.sfws.auburn.edu/eco-site/

You probably already know about it. My understanding is that birdwatching is encouraged.

Ohhhh, Thank you.

I've been by the fish ponds numerous times, but didn't know that there was a perserve nearby. WOW...will have to go check that out. When you mentioned preserves I was thinking about refuge about 2 hours south of us......
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2008 04:00 pm
you are very welcome! We get down there occasionally - I would love to meet you somewhere for coffee or something next time.

Everyone I know that are still there are really quite old (my director and music teacher from college) or too young (rapscallions in college!) -

Happy Birdwatching! :wink:
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2008 05:46 pm
mismi, MMS, 5 kids

Shocked

watch out down there!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2008 06:13 pm
(((((((((MMS and family))))))))))
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2008 07:28 pm
Mismi wrote:
Quote:
you are very welcome! We get down there occasionally - I would love to meet you somewhere for coffee or something next time.

Everyone I know that are still there are really quite old (my director and music teacher from college) or too young (rapscallions in college!) -

Happy Birdwatching!

Thank you, that would be quite fun....

I've been looking at the new seed books that have just come out, and see butterfly bushes in my future. I've decided leased house or not, I'm going to try to start planting some things or just put them in pots so I can take them with me when/if I move.

Thats another reason I miss my yard at home so badly, I was in the middle of a complete overhaul on it....and walked off and left it to die in the heat of Arkansas.

Montana wrote:
Quote:
(((((((((MMS and family))))))))))

I've needed a hug today...lol (((((((((Montana)))))))))))
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/01/2024 at 10:25:46