Investment/Income Property - Good Idea or Am I crazy?

Swimpy

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 03:40 pm
Thanks for the story, Chai. I will try to remain human.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 04:02 pm
Swimpy wrote:
Thanks for the story, Chai. I will try to remain human.

That didn't come out right, did it?
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 04:16 pm
Laughing
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 11:07 pm
Chai, I would have given my right arm for tenants like that!

The only downfall for me when I had my duplex was trying to find good tenants. If they refuse to pay their rent, you're in a position to where you have to evict and that's not an easy thing to do.
I've had tenants do damage to the apartments and these are people who were screened by a real estate agency.

You never know who people are until they move into your building.

I gather things would have been better in that sense, if I had been living in the house, though.

Don't want to put ant dampers on your plans Swimpy, just want you to know that finding good tenants isn't the easiest thing to do.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2008 08:40 am
Don't worry Montana. That's the kind of stuff I need to know. I think the current tennants are pretty good people. I got a chance to walk through their unit. The place was clean. They hadn't had any notice that anyone was coming since they were both at work.

I hope they stay for a long time.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2008 08:51 am
Swimpy I think it's a great idea AND I think you're crazy. what does that mean?

Seriously, I agree with Slap. Nothing ventured nothing gained. do it.
0 Replies

alex240101

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2008 09:14 am
Gas prices will continue to rise. Plus, look at the extra two hours you'll get, not driving every day. That's some serious time.
Regrets. My wife and I went out on a limb, and purchased a new house, without selling our first house. For a while, we had two mortgages. In that short time, we thought long and hard about trying to make ends meet, and, rent, or lease our first house. We ended up agreeing that we just wanted to wash our hands clean of the first mortgage. Now that I look back, I have regrets on not keeping that first house to rent. It was a perfect first house rental. I knew all the ins and outs about the house. At the time we were caught up with all the new house hoopla. Good luck in whatever you decide.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2008 09:18 am
Seems promising, and I trust you to do your homework and make sure all i's are dotted and t's crossed. Translation: while I don't know much about this, some people seem more likely than others to make it work, and I think you have a great chance of making it work.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2008 09:19 am
Do you need to worry about leaving your current house for 5 days out of the week? Crime, frozen water pipes, that kind of thing?
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2008 12:58 pm
Swimpy wrote:
Don't worry Montana. That's the kind of stuff I need to know. I think the current tennants are pretty good people. I got a chance to walk through their unit. The place was clean. They hadn't had any notice that anyone was coming since they were both at work.

I hope they stay for a long time.

They sound like awesome tenants and I hope you get to keep them for a long long time. Good tenants are better than diamonds :-D

The place was clean without notice and that's cetainly something to get excited about :-D
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2008 01:31 pm
Soz, that is certainly a consideration. Hubs works a four day week, T-F and I plan to be home on Friday nights. That only leaves three nights when the house is empty. I'm going to look into security systems. Don't have any idea what they cost, but it might be money well spent.

alex, thanks for that.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2008 01:44 pm
OK, just to update. I went back and looked at the property. I also looked at two other duplexes that are on the market, one that is more expensive and one that is less. This one is definitely the nicest of the three. Soooo, we are going to find out what the seller paid for it four years ago. Once we know that, we'll be making an offer tomorrow. The seller is asking $69,750. I'm planning to offer around $53K. The offer will be contingent upon passing all inspections.

I learned today that the antique boiler on the second floor is shot. It doesn't work at all. I will be getting bids on replacing it with electric baseboard heating units. The bottom unit has a relatively new gas forced air furnace. The electrical could be a problem, but we'll see what the inspector says.

It has been warm here over the weekend and it has been raining. I was pleased to see that there was no evidence of a leaky roof and no water int he basement.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2008 01:54 pm
Wow, that's a great price.

Plus, you tenant will be glad you're fixing it up.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2008 02:05 pm
$69K for a DUPLEX?

We're in two different worlds.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2008 02:20 pm
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
$69K for a DUPLEX?

I know, the people next to me bought the 750 square bungelow for $250K....so they could tear it down and build their house.

I had to look to see where Swimpy lived....Iowa.....is that a typical price Swimpy?
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2008 02:20 pm
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
$69K for a DUPLEX?

It ain't the Taj Mahal, but we are in two different worlds. I would pay twice that in the town where I live. I can't imagine what it would go for in Boston.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2008 02:49 pm
You don't want to know Shocked
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2008 02:57 pm
Well, the assessed value is $56K. They paid $60K for it four years ago. I'm still going to stick with my original offer price. I don't want to pay a penny more than I have to.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2008 04:04 pm
You go girl. It's certainly a good time to buy :-D

And what a great price!
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2008 06:37 pm
I'm going to wait until Friday. The owner's in Florida so there's no hurry.
0 Replies