California Getting Blasted By Storm Heading SE of us

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 05:52 pm
You folks in states southeast of California, prepare for a huge storm arriving soon. Stock up on food and emergency supplies.

The Sierra foothills are currently experiencing rain at a rate of 3 inches an hour and wind gusts as high as 100 miles an hour. It's been like this for about 4 hours now.

Here in Sacramento, many streets are flooding because the drains are overwhelmed by the amount of water and the ground is so hard and dry the water isn't soaking in. Just had to go out and move my car because my apartment's parking lot is a lake with water up over the curbs. Trees are down all over the place as we experience sustaned winds at 50 miles an hour and power outages this morning. Big rig trucks have been blown off roads, many highways are closing. Even many of the ski resorts are shutting down due to blizzard conditions.

Quote:
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,019 • Replies: 21
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 06:12 pm
Thanks for the heads up, Butryflynet, I'll try and contact a friend near Lake Isabella.... last I heard he was off to the post office. Hmmm.

Oh! And take care of yourself, y'hear?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 06:20 pm
Looking at Wunderground, he's right in the midst of big water.

http://icons.wunderground.com/data/640x480/2xradarc1.gif
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 06:49 pm
Stay safe, Golden State A2Kers.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 08:32 pm
This is smart, I think, but such travail - mandatory evacuations in some Orange County burns areas:

LA Times article HERE
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 08:39 pm
TV mentioned this earlier and said up to ten feet of snow in some areas.

Ten feet of snow.

Ten feet of snow coming in at hurricane speed winds.

Can't even begin to imagine that.

Hoping everyone is hunkered down with plenty of dry firewood.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 08:45 pm
It ain't no picnic here in Ventura either. We need the rain but not all at once!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 08:51 pm
I'm seriously worried about my friend, but I'm thinking he's a busy boy and won't even try to call. He's mr. computer, and will email if he can.

Take care too, Nick.

I've got friends by a Malibu burn, but they're not in the hills.

Aside -
For a thrilling read, try John McPhee's In Suspect Terrain....
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 09:07 pm
Hopefully we'll get only the tail end of it, but later tonight the rain
should start....

This looks rather scary

http://img47.imageshack.us/img47/6915/picoc5.png
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 09:08 pm
The local news reports are saying they only measured 2 inches of rainfall all day in the Sacramento area but I think that is because most of it never made it into or got blown out of the rain guages.

I know I was walking in water up to my mid-calves this morning as I tried sweeping leaves from a drain in the parking lot before I gave up and moved my car.

The wind was awesome. I heard those same train sounds that everyone always comments about in hurricanes. Quite distressing, especially when punctuated by the thump of falling tree branches and pinecones on the roof and cars.

Things have calmed down quite a bit now. Still high winds but no rain downpours added into the mix. Next round is due to arrive in a couple of hours.

Osso, Folks in the south lands near the base of fire areas are out busy building sandbag and haystack walls to shore up the hills from ash mudslides. Emergency Service folks are in quite a panic down there trying to get everyone to prepare.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 09:10 pm
No kidding!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 10:36 pm
Heard from friend, he's whining about the shrill tv jabberheads... so he's just fine.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 10:47 pm
What . a. freakish. storm.

10 feet of snow?
Close to the desert?

We had over 100 days of constant rain this summer.
Will we have an odd winter too?

Seems like mother earth is trying to shake us off..
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 10:50 pm
Driving thru Nevada ahead of a storm once, and had to stop in the salt flats to take a picture of a giant snowstorm engulfing the truck, cactus and all....

Freakish is not the word.

RH
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 11:13 pm
The storm has reached us now - very, very windy outside, my windows are shaking (scary) no rain yet. We're expecting 3 inches. Stay tuned!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 11:56 pm
Hope you don't also lose your power supply.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 11:57 pm
Stay safe, folks.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 12:38 am
In Temecula (Between San Diego and Riverside) It is no big deal right now and we don't expect much trouble.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 08:19 am
Weather is always personal for someone.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 09:31 am
BBB
My pantry and freezer are full but I'm buying fresh produce today just in case.

I bought two types of snow shovels, one of which I think I can manage if snow is not too deep west of the Rio Grande in ABQ.

Dolly and Maddy are now wearing sweaters when they go outside for a quick pee and poop.

BBB
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » California Getting Blasted By Storm Heading SE of us
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/30/2024 at 02:37:54