HTML help...???

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 04:51 am
Can anyone share with me the correct coding for a hyperlink witn an example?
I have looked it up but there is something I am doing wrong.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 724 • Replies: 7
No top replies

jespah

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 05:23 am
I take it you mean putting in an url with a title, like this?

CNN ?

Just do this:
Code:[URL=http://www.cnn.com]CNN[/URL]
0 Replies

jasonrest

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 08:10 am
Ok. one last question.
I understand the URL button deal but when I looked it up from other sources, they provided something like this.....

<a>
Here</a> (((with the site between the a's)))

What's the difference???
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 05:25 pm
Ah, that's because this site is actually written in a language called php (it might be called phpbb, I've forgotten), and not in html.

HTML has those kinds of tags, with the angle brackets. PHP has the square brackets.
0 Replies

jasonrest

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 10:55 pm
AHHHHHHH!
I see. I've been reading up on it.

Last question.....
What makes php more "dynamic" than html?.........Nevermind I have found out why....

So why do people still use html if there are more dynamic languages out there?
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 11:39 pm
HTML really isn't dynamic at all (HTML simply means 'Hypertext Markup Language').

It's not much more than a text file, with some tags (the angle brackets thingies) added in. The tags are telling the browser (your Firefox or Internet Explorer or Safari or ...) what to display in bold, or italics, or underlined, or as headings, or paragraphs, or lists etc.

Various versions of HTML exist (over time, the people developing HTML have tried to add stuff)... But that's the basic idea of HTML.

PHP, on the other hand, is not something displayed by your browser. It's rather a language that the web server understands. The web server can translate pages written in PHP into HTML and then send them to your browser.

That way, a programmer can integrate 'dynamic' content into a website. For example, you can fill in a form, send it to the server, and the PHP pages on the server will integrate that text (the 'dynamic content'). The web server can translate that back into HTML, and then send it to your browser.

Which is essentially how posting works here on A2K.

And PHPBB - well, that's a package of PHP pages. It stands for PHP Bulletin Board.

It uses a simplified version of HTML to allow users to format their posts. Apart from the limited number of formatting options, this simplified version also uses those square brackets jespah mentioned instead of the angle brackets of HTML.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 11:43 pm
jasonrest wrote:
So why do people still use html if there are more dynamic languages out there?

Easy to use. Browsers will understand it. Not everybody needs a very dynamic website.

Lots of reasons.

But you're right, of course. Eventually, it will disappear.
0 Replies

jasonrest

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 09:13 am
Very interesting.
You guys have been a ton of help.

Although html will soon be obsolete, you would probably still recommend that I learn it before any other right?
0 Replies