Klez Virus/ Round II

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2002 12:00 pm
A few months ago, I was getting Klez virii daily for about a couple of weeks. Then it stopped. For the last couple of days, it is rearing its ugly head again.

Have you been bothered with "The Klez" recently?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,995 • Replies: 17
No top replies

JerryR

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2002 12:07 pm
I haven't recently,..thank God! Very Happy

But it did get into my network at work,..One of the girls kept on downloading it,..it would then infect all five computers in the house, so I was forever rebooting and running "fixklez" Twisted Evil
0 Replies

ul

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2002 12:10 pm
Hi Phoenix,
so far I was lucky- no virii.
But I remember how I felt when I was mentioned as a sender of these on Abuzz.
On the other hand I learned a lot how to avoid virii on Abuzz.
Maybe you like this map. Watch where those little buggers play.

http://wtc.trendmicro.com/wtc/
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2002 01:32 pm
I use a virsus scan program and it runs all the time but the virus issue is the main reason I use a web based e-mail app for all my e-mail. They don't seem to be as susceptible to a lot of the junk out there.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2002 01:59 pm
fishin' The virii only get through my Outlook Express account. Never have any trouble on my web based E Mail accounts. I think that some of them virus scan automatically!

You know, I just thought about that. I get virii on the account which I pay for, but none on the free account. Tain't fair! Sad
0 Replies

Datamill

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2002 01:59 pm
Haven't seen Klez recently. Big wave of it back in May, followed by a steady wave of it for about 2 months. Then another wave in September.

In the last month I've only treated computers for SirCam, Stator and Ethan.

I keep a copy of FixKlez handy, just in case someone gets it again.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2002 02:01 pm
Datamill- I think that I have only gotten another type of virus once or twice. <typing while keeping her fingers crossed>
0 Replies

Datamill

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2002 02:06 pm
Phoenix -
I agree with you about paid accounts sending more junk than any other. My MSN account is the worst. They must sell our email addresses.
Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2002 02:08 pm
I will soon add both a virus alerts list/map and a free online virus scan to this site.

I already have it but just need to piece together the design.

I'd also like to write up detailed information about viruses etc so stay tuned. I might have it up within the next week or so.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2002 02:08 pm
That's funny - I just recently reinstalled Outlook to pick up my Hotmail account E mail which I usually only do on-line (my default is IncrediMail).
Lo and behold, a Klez virus E mail but with an unidentified download (I was
directed to a site which is probably non-existant without any link and the download was there with no direction to click on it). I have never gotten a Klez message through IncrediMail but have gotten alerts with some E mails that I could not identify and proceeded to clean them. I scan about once every few weeks unless I get an alert.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2002 02:11 pm
The junk mail settings on my Yahoo and Hotmail work somewhat and I'm not sure about the Road Runner account as there's the junk mail is minimal and they provide no list of what's been deleted (if anything).
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2002 02:12 pm
Datamill- As far as ads, I have not found that. My Road Runner account never sends ads. The reason is that I use that address only for "serious" stuff. I NEVER sign up for a commercial subscriptions there. I also never get ads on my Hotmail account. That is because I have NEVER subscribed to ANYTHING on that site.

My Yahoo account, well that's another thing. Here's where I sign up for subscriptions. I also got my Abuzz E Mails there. Now that I have turned the Abuzz E Mails off, the vast majority of what I get there is spam!
0 Replies

Datamill

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2002 02:12 pm
Lightwizard -

Klez usually comes with 2 attachments. 1 is hidden so you don't see it, and the other will show up.
0 Replies

Datamill

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2002 02:18 pm
Phoenix -
Whenever I sign up or subscribe for anything I use Yahoo. So when I get all this spam for mortgage rates and weight loss, etc... on my MSN account, I wonder how they found me. I don't have the same problem with my Compuserve account.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2002 02:21 pm
Sircam made it in through me once through Hotmail. The account I use for Abuzz has always been clean, to my amazement. The junkmail is all at Hotmail and an everyone.net site. Yahoo is also clean as a whistle (for me).
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2002 02:35 pm
BTW the klez trogan is usually embedded IN the attachment. Not as a separate one. I have gone over 3 strains of Klez and in the code I found that it will pull a random attachment from the infected computer (from My Documents so that this file might be interesting) and then sends it from a random address.

The radom (from address book) address was what made Klez the feared virus it is. It's otherwise an exact replica of some very low quality viruses.

But someone is always improving the Klez strain. Some of the later versions have been brilliantly destructive.

---

BTW both hotmail and yahoo sell their addresses and both sell to almost anyone who will pay for it.
0 Replies

angelgz

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2003 09:05 pm
Virus needed!!
Hit me with all your virus!!
Please send me as many virus as you can!!!!
especially the following:
> W32.BugBear@mm
> W32.BubBear.B@mm
> W32.Gibe.B@mm
> W95.Hybrus.worm
> W32.Klez.H@mm
> W32.Sobig.B@mm
> W32.Sobig.C@mm
> W32.Sobig.E@mm
> W32.Blaster@mm
send them all to [email protected]!!
So hit me!! Thanks for hitting me!!