One New Year's Resolution

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2007 07:11 pm
How about if we all make one resolution this New Year's that we can actually keep?

Last year, I resolved to spend more time with my family. I did that, and I feel pretty good about it, if I do say so myself. Razz

This year, I think I'm going to expand on that a little. I might try to do some things to help out in the community.....things for people less fortunate. Like making a meatloaf once a month to take to the local homeless shelter.

Who knows? Maybe I'll even volunteer to serve the food there once in a while (even though I'm a little scared too). Confused

So what is one resolution you could make that you could actually keep?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,361 • Replies: 20
No top replies

Green Witch

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2007 07:22 pm
Re: One New Year's Resolution
Stray Cat wrote:
Like making a meatloaf once a month to take to the local homeless shelter.

You can't do the meatloaf thing because of health and safety regulations. I've worked in food pantries/homeless shelters for years and it's a mixed experience. Sometimes you go home feeling that you have really helped someone and other times you feel like you've been riped off. Overall, the positive out weighs the negative, so I do recommend it.

I agree resolutions should be realistic. This year I vow to only do things that will make my job easier and not take on more than I know I can handle.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2007 07:23 pm
As I very rarely drink, I'm going for a two drink a day longevity booster!
Quote:
Research extending back as far as 1926 1 has demonstrated that drinking in moderation is associated with greater longevity than is either abstaining or abusing alcohol. The medical research evidence is now unquestionable and demonstrates that the effect is not the result of health-compromised alcoholics who abstain. When studies restrict abstainers to lifelong teetotalers the result is the same. Nor is it the result of moderate drinkers having better overall health habits. When lifestyle factors are taken into consideration, the result remains. And the effect occurs not only for red wine but also for white wine, beer, and liquor or distilled spirits.

http://www2.potsdam.edu/hansondj/HealthIssues/1106591095.html
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2007 07:29 pm
Quote:
You can't do the meatloaf thing because of health and safety regulations.

My church provides food (made by the parishioners) to a local homeless shelter. They even provide the aluminum trays to make the meatloaf in (and the recipe that the shelter uses). There's never been a problem with that, as far as I know.

Quote:
Overall, the positive out weighs the negative, so I do recommend it.

Yes, I think once I get familiar with some of the people who run the shelter, I'll be able to do it! :wink:
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2007 08:16 pm
Often the health officials will turn a blind eye to church run operations, sort of like school bake sales. NYCHD can be tough, but even they know that more good than harm comes from homemade food. If your church already has a program that is probably the best way to go. It's nice to work with a group of friends when doing something like this.

You might also want to look into being a Literacy Volunteer or English As A Second Language (ESL) coach. It's the difference between giving someone a fish and teaching them to fish. I have a few wonderful success stories from my years doing LV and ESL and consider it my most rewarding work. I've also gotten to learn some Chinese, Polish, and Russian.
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2007 08:35 pm
Quote:
If your church already has a program that is probably the best way to go. It's nice to work with a group of friends when doing something like this.

Yes, GW, the shelter people are very familiar with the volunteers at my church, so that helps! And it's a way for me to become involved through people I know.

Quote:
You might also want to look into being a Literacy Volunteer or English As A Second Language (ESL) coach.

Yes, I know someone who did this, and he said it was very rewarding too. Thanks for the suggestion!
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2008 01:12 pm
Oh, come on now. Doesn't anyone have just one New Year's resolution that they think they could actually keep?

It doesn't have to be about volunteer work. It doesn't even have to be serious! Confused
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2008 01:27 pm
I would post it, Stray Cat, but it would be rude (not towards you) and my resolution is to try to stay quiet when I'd rather be rude.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2008 01:33 pm
Mine is to not cave when my kids throw a fit if they don't get what they want. Can I keep it? Probably only if I follow through on my other resolution to get more sleep.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2008 02:31 pm
Here's mine. Eat more fresh vegetables. Since I eat almost NO fresh vegetables now, this shouldn't be too hard to achieve.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2008 03:29 pm
Kicky...may not be fresh...but I've discovered Birds Eye makes boxes of vegs with light sauces...butter and cheese, but not much fat. They're really good.

Put a slit in the bag and microwave for 6 minutes.

Sometimes I'll look at fresh vegs in my fridge and just can't get the gumption up to clean, slice, and think of some way to liven them up.

Resolution for myself....

in some matters in my life, I'm going to not look past the day.
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2008 03:38 pm
Quote:
I would post it, Stray Cat, but it would be rude (not towards you) and my resolution is to try to stay quiet when I'd rather be rude.

Razz That's ok, JPB. It's important to say the right thing, but sometimes it's important to know when to keep quiet!

Free Duck, getting a good night's sleep was one of my resolutions last year. It really helps. We need all the sustenance we can get!

We also need fiber, so the veggies thing is a good idea too! I love salads, there's nothing yummier. But I agree with Chai. Those Bird's Eye packages are easy to prepare if you don't feel like doing all the chopping and stuff.

Quote:
in some matters in my life, I'm going to not look past the day.

This is a good one, Chai. It's like the AA people say, "One day at a time!"
Or as someone else once said, "I can accomplish something in one day that would appall me if I thought I had to do it every day."
0 Replies

George

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2008 04:05 pm
I will do my filing every week.
There's a stack of papers on my file cabinet that only need to be put in the
proper folders. I don't know why, but I always put off doing it.
0 Replies

vid

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2008 04:09 pm
I will moderate my moderation.
0 Replies

George

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2008 04:29 pm
vid wrote:
I will moderate my moderation.

Just don't overdo it.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2008 07:15 pm
Same as the last couple of years (thanks to Piffka and SeattleFriend) - more picnics and more picnics with friends.
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2008 09:15 pm
Picnics?

http://kittenwar.com/c_images/2006/04/29/70062.2.jpg
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 08:26 am
Shovel one quarter of one stall of my personal Augean Stables at a time.

I will not divert the river unless I have plenty of time to mop up the flood.

FEMA is a myth.

So are those seven maids with seven mops.
0 Replies

Mr Nice

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 08:50 am
My resolution : Getting up earlier in the morning.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 11:53 pm
Stray Cat wrote:
Quote:

Razz That's ok, JPB. It's important to say the right thing, but sometimes it's important to know when to keep quiet!

Oh, but it's hard sometimes. Very, very hard. Lessee, it's January 4th. How long are these things supposed to last?
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » One New Year's Resolution
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/05/2024 at 08:02:34