QUestion regarding getting a finalized product from China.

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2007 01:58 pm
Hi all

I am very new to import/export.

i have a couple of questions

I have found a product in china which i would like to import. The product is the end material for example say bubble gum for a gumball machine. I also found gum ball machines and other containers type which i would like to import as well.

here is my question, if i buy the gum ball in bulk along with the different containers for it and have to store & assemble it in the us the cost will go up. How can i find someone in china to package/assemble the items for me the way i want them and to send me the final product. please be aware that the containers are from different manufactures and not from one source.

Also, how do i hinder or stop from the company which is assembling the gumball + container to sell it to others as a final product?

thxs in advance.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,088 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2007 02:52 pm
Finding the right manufacturer is not a trivial part of the business, so you are probably not going to find an easy answer to this question. That kind of thing comes from networking and experience.

But finding someone (not necessarily a good one) to do it shouldn't be too hard. Ask questions, starting here is good but you'd do even better offline and in China.

Ask the companies that supply the parts who they'd recommend. They know someone for sure, and they should be directly interested in helping you.

Chinese manufacturers (and all manufacturers for that matter) don't tend to haunt online communities and forums for business so the networking really tends to be in the brick and mortar world.

You need to work with various Chinese companies, all of whom may be able to help you. I'd be asking the manufacturers you already know, your freight forwarder and more.

As to being able to prevent your manufacturer from selling to anyone else it sounds like a foolish thing to try. I can't imagine any reason I'd honor your request if I were the manufacturer and if you are asking these questions here you certainly don't have any volume to use as leverage for exclusivity agreements.

By the way, something you don't mention but that I recommend you look into is how the assembled product changes freight rates. You may actually not save that much by assembling there as I suspect you can ship a lot more unassembled product than you can assembled product.
0 Replies

Intl Sourcer

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 08:34 pm
In the gumball/dispenser example, you can actually save money on shipping costs by combining the two parts. Mainly, because you're filling the unused spaces within the dispensers with the gumballs.
This would work for both Air and Ocean freight. However, depending on the actual commodity, you should pay attention to the weight limit of the ocean container as a limiting factor as well.

As for the repacking job, you can actually look into a "logistics" service provider on the China side for help with this. For a while now, companies have been looking at moving their warehouse/distribution operations to the origin side (in this case, China) so as to save on facilities/labor costs. Therefore, most all decent sized forwarders will have this service available.
Good place to start with forwarder reference is from your vendor. However, there're lots of "under the table money" going around that you really can't tell if the forwarder referred is a seriously good one - for YOU. In this case, consider two factors: Service & Price.
With price, you can simply shop around by making a couple of calls to your local forwarders for comparison.
With service, it'll be hard to tell often until you've already initiated the service arrangements. One good reference to use is if the forwarder has a WHOLLY OWNED office both at origin and at your local port. There're MANY MANY small forwarders that have a local office here but work through a network of "agents" overseas. Not that this is always bad, but it just increases the chance that your shipment will be treated as a "second class citizen" matter.... again, this is not 100%, but just more likely.
0 Replies

keekee1105

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 12:37 am
We can help you collected, package and strorage
Our company located in China, we have branches in Shanghai, Ningbo, Yiwu, Hongkong, and our agencies in Europe, We provide wordwide shipping transportation services, Mid east, Mid & South America,etc. If you feel useful ,pls contact my msn messenger: [email protected], we can talk online.
0 Replies

markocao

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2008 08:29 am
maybe i can help u
hi!my name is marko,from China,

if you have any enquiry about import from China,maybe I can help you.

Also ,I know where you can buy this item from China. you can reach me

by e-mail : markocao(at)foxmail.com; msn: markocaoxq(at)hotmail.com
0 Replies

glasglow

Reply Sat 3 May, 2008 09:17 am
I am from New York originally, have lived in China for about 7 years now. I could assist if needed.
0 Replies