Where is our water going?

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 09:14 am
I live in Michigan. Our slogan, the great lake state. Besides those lakes, we have thousands of inland lakes, wetlands , streams, rivers....ect.... About eighteen months ago, the state past legislation, to explore and investigate how much water the waterthe bottleing companies are taking from our lakes. Some reports state one company takes over eight million gallons per day.How many companies are there? Free water. I know historically, the lake levels fluctuate up and down. Let me tell you, we have beaches and dried up land where water always has been. In the past twenty years The water levels have declined. I just wonder if these companies who take and sell the bottled water are having an effect on our levels. What do you think?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,536 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 09:53 am
I would say that you can find out by first comparing the amount of regional rainfall over the last few years and comparing that to the levels of a few decades ago. That will let you know how much the weather variations have been affecting it.

Then you can find out whether or not they have built dams or diverted the rivers at all. This sort of thing is happening in many areas all over the northeast. I'm not too surprised that it can be happening there, too. In 20 more years, I'd be surprised if there'll be half the amount of fresh water streams flowing if they're not strictly protected now. Look around the northeast..this is rampant..it's not just in Michigan.

There are far too many people concentrated in North American population centers who don't give a damn (no pun intended) and they'll pay $2 (or more) for bottled water because they've already hosed their own local water supplies. Blame your neighbors for not wanting to drink tap water!

Then you can find out if that area has had a lot of home construction and/or businesses. If there's been a lot of construction in the last 20 years, that's your culprit. Mind you, if the bottling companies have come in also in the last 20 years that can be part of the problem.

What articles have been published in your local and regional newspapers about this issue? That sort of article is a huge part of the news. What have you read in your papers?

Here's a suggestion: Try Googling the phrase 'wetland reduction' or 'wetland loss (or shrinking) in michigan' and see what you come up with.

Also Google the phrase 'no net loss' as regards wetland projects in MI.

I'll start you off with a few ("loss of wetlands in Michigan"):

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10370_22664-61132--,00.html

What Are the Threats to Wetlands?

"The extent of wetland habitat was once controlled by natural processes. Marshes along the Great Lakes and drowned river mouth lakes vary in size, depending on rainfall trends and Great Lakes water levels. The natural filling of old glacial lakes with plant remains and sediment will create bog habitat. Eventually through continued succession, open water may be eliminated, replaced with a continuous sphagnum bog or a wet meadow. Floodplain swamps may shrink or increase with the normal changes in a river's channel over time. Over the long term, such natural change is inevitable. Wetland areas in Michigan have been growing, shrinking and re forming according to natural cycles since the last Ice Age and before, and these cycles continue today.

The last century has seen a greatly increased rate of wetland loss due to filling and drainage by man. Prior to World War 11, drainage to expand agricultural lands accounted for most of this loss. Recently, much wetland destruction has been caused by commercial, industrial, and residential expansion. The estimated 11 million acres of Michigan wetlands existing in pre settlement times has now been reduced to less than 3 million acres. Recent legislation has slowed the loss rate somewhat but threats to these habitats, particularly the smaller wetlands, continue in many areas."
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 10:29 am
Very interesting and educational to me. I just Googled the phrase 'loss of wetlands and bottling companies in Michigan' I got the following eye-popping link:

http://media.www.westernherald.com/media/storage/paper881/news/2002/06/03/Opinion/Perrier.Bottling.Plant.Wrests.Michigan.Water.From.Citizens-2126773.shtml

"Perrier bottling plant wrests Michigan water from citizens"

"In a nation where seemingly everything gets turned into a commodity -- from health care to housing -- despite basic human needs, it is no surprise that the Nestle Corporation is doing the same with Michigan's water.
Using their subsidiary and a marketer of 30 percent of the world's bottled water, Perrier, the company currently holds state permits and is operating a bottling plant, two production wells and a pipeline in Mecosta County. According to the Sweetwater Alliance, a water conservation and anti-water-privatization group, Perrier is also planning to develop a backup site in Osceola County, among 30 other Michigan well sites.

The problem with Perrier is that -- unlike municipalities that provide water as a service for the good of the public, and farmers using waters to grow the food that feeds folks -- they are simply making a profit without regard for state residents. And unlike municipalities and farmers, the water Perrier draws won't be returned to its natural basin -- it will simply be bottled and shipped.

What further makes Perrier a no-win for Michigan is that the company is not paying for the nearly 400 gallons per minute they are currently allowed to draw from below both their land and adjacent property not belonging to them. Most other bottled water sold in Michigan is tap water that companies purchase and then treat; Perrier doesn't need to do this, hence, makes pure profit.

Additionally, Michigan taxpayers are already financing Perrier to sell our water back to us, as the company has been awarded $9.5 million in tax abatements from the state-run Economic Development Corporation. In return, Perrier is expected to employ only around 40 people, unless they develop additional wells. As researchers from Ball Environmental Associates point out, bottling facilities often wind up as "dark plants" with only a limited amount of skilled, technical personnel operating them."

...[Edited for brevity...more in that link from 2002]

[Last paragraph];

"The people of Michigan must collectively oppose Perrier's privatization of water that is necessary for the sustainment of life for all, and not just those who can afford to buy bottled water. The first step is to stop purchasing the company's water brands, which include Ice Mountain, Poland Spring, Perrier brand, Arrowhead, Calistoga, Deer Park, Great Bear, Oasis, Ozarka and Zephyrhills. By boycotting Perrier, individuals can help send an important and resounding message: Michigan's water is for the use of the people, not for big-profits."
0 Replies

alex240101

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 11:58 am
to ragman
ragman. Thank you for the information. Aquafina lists the detroit river as one of their sources. Boy, if you only knew what was in that river.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Where is our water going?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/14/2024 at 07:11:44