2
   

Research Using the Internet

 
 
Roberta
 
Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2007 06:01 am
Someone has hired me to do research on the Internet. Stranger things have been known to happen. This person knows less about computers and the Internet than I do. Hard to believe, but true.

I've been looking for things via google (is google called a search engine?). Are there other similar kinds of sources? I assume there are.

In addition to the names and/or links to such sites, I'd appreciate any advice on how to navigate, narrow down, focus in, and find what I want.

And please remember, I know almost nothing! Please talk slow (type slow?), and don't use computery terms. Ignorance ain't always bliss.

Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,170 • Replies: 18
No top replies

 
Phoenix32890
 
  1  
Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2007 06:09 am
Roberta- I don't know the sort of stuff that you are looking for. If you are looking for journal articles, you will like "Google Scholar". Go to "Google" and type in "Google Scholar". It will take you to a site where you can find journal articles on all sorts of subjects.

Also, go to:
www.refdesk.com

This site has links to all sorts of things, many that are applicable to research.

This also looks promising

http://owl.english.purdue.edu/internet/tools/research.html
0 Replies
 
Roberta
 
  1  
Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2007 06:43 am
Thanks for the info, Phoenix. But this is marketing research. I'm looking for music festivals, and things related to musicians. I'm researching to help find him work on a broad scale.

There's other stuff involved, but my primary concern now is music. I'm thinking of working through festivals by state and then by major cities within states. Then I'll branch out to other countries.

Are there places other than google? I have no problem with google. I'm just wondering whether there are other sites that have info that might not be on google. I don't want to limit what I find.
0 Replies
 
Phoenix32890
 
  1  
Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2007 06:45 am
Does this help?

http://www.festivalfinder.com/

http://www.musicianscontact.com/
0 Replies
 
msolga
 
  1  
Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2007 06:48 am
Hey, Roberta, why not post a request in the music forum here? I'm certain you'd get a few useful tips there.

What an interesting job! Very Happy
0 Replies
 
Phoenix32890
 
  1  
Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2007 06:51 am
http://library.music.indiana.edu/music_resources/festival.html

http://musicmoz.org/Resources/Directories/Musician_Resources/

What kind of music does he play????
0 Replies
 
Noddy24
 
  1  
Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2007 06:56 am
Phoenix--

You're a wonder. Some women shop. You research.
0 Replies
 
Phoenix32890
 
  1  
Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2007 06:59 am
Noddy- Researching is a lot cheaper than shopping.

Also, I figure that if I can keep filling my head with more "stuff" than is going out, I will be ahead of the game! Laughing
0 Replies
 
Walter Hinteler
 
  1  
Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2007 07:08 am
Try THIS, Roberta.

Otherwise - Pandora might be helpful.
0 Replies
 
Phoenix32890
 
  1  
Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2007 07:13 am
Roberta- I have found that I can find just about anything that I want on "Google". What I like about the site is that it is "tabula rasa". You put in exactly what you want, and it finds it for you. It does not have confusing categories.

Over the years, I have played with other search engines, but I always go back to Google. Google has a nice little tutorial on how to use their site:

http://www.google.com/help/basics.html
0 Replies
 
Walter Hinteler
 
  1  
Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2007 07:19 am
Certainly google is fine .... for searchable data(bases).

To search further, you need a bit more :wink:

A mega.search engine may be some good, too, like search.com

And rootster for music/culture.
0 Replies
 
Setanta
 
  1  
Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2007 07:46 am
Re: Research Using the Internet
Roberta wrote:
In addition to the names and/or links to such sites, I'd appreciate any advice on how to navigate, narrow down, focus in, and find what I want.


This is one of the most crucial aspects of getting useful information on-line, and has nothing to do with a sophisticated knowledge of computers or of the internet. All one need remember is that computers are the ultimate idiot savants--if one considers the volume of information available on-line, your computer is as far from ignorant as you can get, as long as it has access to the web. But it is incredibly stupid, this computer/internet.

If you want to learn about the 19th century linguist, adventurer and explorer, and you type "Richard Burton" into a search engine window, you're likely going to be snowed under with thousands of "hits" (in search engine terms, a "hit" is a name for each of the links you find to the subject typed in the search window) for a welsh actor who was associated in the public mind with Elizabeth Taylor. But if you type "Richard Francis Burton" into the search engine window, although you'll maybe get a few hits for the motion picture actor, the likelihood is that you'll get thousands of hits for the man you were actually looking for.

Think of your computer linked to the internet as an incredibly well-informed and ultimately stupid library assistant. Make your searches as subject specific as possible, and you'll get exactly what you want. To continue the example, "Source of the Nile" would probably get you a lot of geographical information about eastern Africa, and perhaps a smidgen of information on those who once sought it. If you were to type "search for the source of the Nile," you 'd get more specific information. If you were to type "Richard Francis Burton+source of the Nile," you'd get very specific information on Burton, Speke and the their attempts to find the source of the Nile.

These are skills you already possess, Raboida, i have complete confidence in you.
0 Replies
 
Roberta
 
  1  
Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2007 02:49 pm
Thrilled with the help, suggestions, and advice. Not only will it be very helpful, but I actually understood everything that everyone said!

I'm not quite ready yet to begin the actual research. I have some other stuff to do first. Wanted to be prepared, so that when I start, I'll know what to do and how to do it.

Yous guys is da best. Thanks mucho.
0 Replies
 
Roberta
 
  1  
Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2007 06:10 pm
Re: Research Using the Internet


Phoenix, The first link will be a huge help. The second, I need to investigate. Thanks.

msolga wrote:
Hey, Roberta, why not post a request in the music forum here? I'm certain you'd get a few useful tips there.

What an interesting job! Very Happy


I may give that a try once I'm up to the actual research. Right now I'm delving into the musican. Gotta write some stuff before I start the research.

I'm not uncomfortable with writing. But I'm uncomfortable (could you tell?) because I've never done this kind of thing before. Marketing.

Thanks for the suggestion.



Phoenix, You're amazing--and very helpful. The first link here will be invaluable.

He plays jazza and folk (jazzy klezmer), so I'm looking for two different kinds of festivals. I also have extra work with the folk. Finding gigs.

Walter Hinteler wrote:
Try THIS, Roberta.

Otherwise - Pandora might be helpful.


Thanks, Walter. Not sure about these. I'll have to explore them further.

Phoenix32890 wrote:
Roberta- I have found that I can find just about anything that I want on "Google". What I like about the site is that it is "tabula rasa". You put in exactly what you want, and it finds it for you. It does not have confusing categories.

Over the years, I have played with other search engines, but I always go back to Google. Google has a nice little tutorial on how to use their site:

http://www.google.com/help/basics.html


Thanks yet again, Phoenix. I've been using google, sometimes with mixed results. This will help.

Walter Hinteler wrote:
Certainly google is fine .... for searchable data(bases).

To search further, you need a bit more :wink:

A mega.search engine may be some good, too, like search.com

And rootster for music/culture.


Thanks again, Walter. I truly appreciate the help.

Setanta wrote:
Roberta wrote:
In addition to the names and/or links to such sites, I'd appreciate any advice on how to navigate, narrow down, focus in, and find what I want.


This is one of the most crucial aspects of getting useful information on-line, and has nothing to do with a sophisticated knowledge of computers or of the internet. All one need remember is that computers are the ultimate idiot savants--if one considers the volume of information available on-line, your computer is as far from ignorant as you can get, as long as it has access to the web. But it is incredibly stupid, this computer/internet.

If you want to learn about the 19th century linguist, adventurer and explorer, and you type "Richard Burton" into a search engine window, you're likely going to be snowed under with thousands of "hits" (in search engine terms, a "hit" is a name for each of the links you find to the subject typed in the search window) for a welsh actor who was associated in the public mind with Elizabeth Taylor. But if you type "Richard Francis Burton" into the search engine window, although you'll maybe get a few hits for the motion picture actor, the likelihood is that you'll get thousands of hits for the man you were actually looking for.

Think of your computer linked to the internet as an incredibly well-informed and ultimately stupid library assistant. Make your searches as subject specific as possible, and you'll get exactly what you want. To continue the example, "Source of the Nile" would probably get you a lot of geographical information about eastern Africa, and perhaps a smidgen of information on those who once sought it. If you were to type "search for the source of the Nile," you 'd get more specific information. If you were to type "Richard Francis Burton+source of the Nile," you'd get very specific information on Burton, Speke and the their attempts to find the source of the Nile.

These are skills you already possess, Raboida, i have complete confidence in you.


First, thanks for the advice and the vote of confidence. Finding the right sites is one thing. Finding the write person to contact for my client will be more of a challenge. I'm going to have to figure out who runs the show--producers, sponsors, etc.--and contact them.

I confess to being just a bit intimidated, only because I've never done this kind of stuff before.
0 Replies
 
Phoenix32890
 
  1  
Reply Fri 21 Dec, 2007 07:20 am
Roberta- Don't know if this will help, but it could be a resource:

http://www.klezmershack.com/contacts/klezbands.html

http://www.klezmershack.com/contacts/klezlabels.html
0 Replies
 
Sglass
 
  1  
Reply Fri 21 Dec, 2007 07:27 am
Happily watching this threasd develop. I spend hours hacking sometimes.
0 Replies
 
Roberta
 
  1  
Reply Fri 21 Dec, 2007 07:53 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:



The first is a list of the competition. The second my client is already connected to.

Thanks, Phoenix. You da best.
0 Replies
 
Phoenix32890
 
  1  
Reply Fri 21 Dec, 2007 08:11 am
http://www.bh.org.il/Music/links.aspx#Festivals%20of%20Jewish%20Music

OK- I'm trying fer ya!
0 Replies
 
Roberta
 
  1  
Reply Fri 21 Dec, 2007 09:10 am



Trying and succeeding. This one could prove to be invaluable. Thanks, kid.
0 Replies
 
 

Related Topics

So I just joined Facebook.... - Discussion by DrewDad
YouTube Is Doomed - Discussion by Shapeless
Internet disinformation overload - Discussion by rosborne979
Participatory Democracy Online - Discussion by wandeljw
OpenDNS and net neutrality - Question by Butrflynet
Internet Explorer 8? - Question by Pitter
 
  1. Forums
  2. » Research Using the Internet
Copyright © 2021 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 12/06/2021 at 12:45:06