Beware of the holiday card scam/but what's overly vigilant?

jespah

Reply Mon 10 Dec, 2007 06:01 pm
Now, we've gotten several "cards" from all sorts of completely ridiculous generic "persons" such as "a schoolmate" or "a neighbor" (like our neighbors know us at all), etc. And it's easy to delete those and forget about 'em.

Tonight, we got the following:
Title: NAME_has_sent_you_a_YouTube_holiday_video_card (note: the name is the first name of a cousin of mine, but it's an incredibly common first name)
Sender: [email protected]

And then the body of it is a bunch of stuff that our mail provider isn't d/l'ing because it's images.

Now, I know that youtube is offering some sort of holiday video card service. And the [email protected] address is legit. However, see: Spammers Hijack YouTube. Plus I'm just naturally skeptical and know that, at least when it's Hallmark, they seem to be better at identifying the sender. Then again, this ain't Hallmark, so perhaps Youtube just has a few bugs to work out.

I will contact my cousin and will ask her, just in case it is legit.

In the meantime, I report this because, if nothing else, it looks pretty dang suspicious. My suggestion to any recipient is to ask the sender -- and possibly even get in touch with YouTube and push them to better identify their legitimate holiday video card service. Because while I hate getting spam, I'd also hate to can a real holiday card.

Caveat emptor!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 671 • Replies: 6
No top replies

squinney

Reply Mon 10 Dec, 2007 06:27 pm
Good advice.

I don't think it's legit because I got one at work the other day (at work e-mail which no family member would use) and my CA Anti-Spam sent it directly to quarentine.

Once captured by CA, I can mouse over to see the beginning of the message without opening it, and it was not real.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 11 Dec, 2007 04:47 am
Yeah, I don't think it's real, either, I just sent an email to my cousin and it bounced so I'm thinking that Cuz doesn't have PC access right now anyway. Thanks for the confirmation. Off to the mists of oblivion it goes!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 11 Dec, 2007 04:53 am
I don't know about the rest of you, but during the last few weeks, I must have "won" billions. The spam patrol is out is full force, as well as the Nigerian scams. A lot of the stuff seems to be coming from the UK.

I am very quick with my "delete" button!
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 11 Dec, 2007 06:36 am
Gee, I wish I was winning millions. Instead, all I get is an offer to make my penis bigger or to be able to penetrate deeper and drive her nuts.

Rolling Eyes

Like I need that.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 11 Dec, 2007 07:01 am
Wow!
You too squinney?

I thought maybe I was missing out on something. Maybe I WAS supposed to have a bigger penis.

I mean, it goes with that awesome replica watch SOO well..
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 14 Dec, 2007 05:21 am
Actually, it turns out that she really did send us the card. It was a live version of a Byrds reunion tour where they sang "Turn! Turn! Turn!" Very lovely.
0 Replies